civilization4 complete on steam

thecrew

Chieftain
I downloaded Civ4 complete from steam today... and it has been nothing but trouble. Civ4 colonization is working fine (fun game). But all the others are having problems. When I try to run them, I hear the audio, see the cursor, but there is no video. I remember having this problem when I bought the CD copy of this game a few years ago... but I don't remember how to fix it. I also don't even know if steam has some other fix.

Any ideas?

Welcome to CFC :band:

1) a new BtS patch has just been released yesterday - Steam will likely release it for its customers in the coming days - which might fix some problems
2) you should contact Steam in any case

now having said all that: is this windows xp or vista? are your graphics drivers updated? could you post your dxdiag results file?

Civ4 complete on steam (inc colonization) is $US 10 this weekend.

Considering downloading it and selling my DVD copies, so I don't have to run nodvd cracks any more.

watch out dude, steam has actually a bugged version of Civ, you will need to have all Expansions from them only then the game will run correctly (If you just have Civ 4 you will have some gameplay problems) ; (If youst Beyond the Sword, you will have grafik issues) :-(

I know they are cheap but please dont fall for their trap (And they know about it for a long time watch their forums)

This is the first I hear about this - and doubt that its true. Steam and Direct2Drive have been the only reliable digital vendors in the mess that is the Civilization 4 digital distribution.
There are multiple posts of Civ4 Steam working fine on this forum.

Welcome to Civfanatics by the way :band:

sure cause most buy all of them from it. But its true, ask all the dude experiencing the grafik issue where the boxes get transparent.

transparent boxes where not a steam only issue - and mostly depended on certain graphics card drivers. If you link to some such complaints I'd be happy to get educated on this though.

There are a lot of people on this forum who bought civ4 on steam prior to any of the expansions and we had few tech support questions here so I assume it was as stable at least as other distributions. Steam is annoying since it doesn't work with other distributions so you have to buy the expansions as well from them if you want them, but I have not seen reports here on steam graphics problems...

Top Bottom