Civilizations Won't Accept Their Own Proposals

IGSkaarj

Chieftain
So I receive a proposal from Indonesia requesting Open Borders in exchange for 7 gold per turn. I think to myself "Sounds OK, I could always do with more gold."

So I click accept, and low and behold, the oh-so-wise :)lol:) Gajah Mada doesn't think that his own proposal is good enough and demands I make it more fair.

This was late game, so I'm not really bothered by the fact that I'm not gonna get the extra gold, I just find it really funny that an AI civ won't accept the very proposals that they make (I've had that in previous games too). :lol:

Has anyone else had this, and do they find it as hilarious as I do? :D

Did you actually read what he said to you? They will often bring up the trade screen when a previous trade has ended and say something like:
"This deal is no longer fine, we want more from you to renew this deal".

Yeah, this wasn't a renewal of a previous deal, this was a new one. He'd not had Open Borders with me before.

I have had similar a few times recently. Not repeat deals. AI pops up with a proposal, I decide OK (often not really that bothered, but whatever), and lo and behold when I click accept that isn't good enough - so piss off then, it was your idea.
I'm just wondering if it is a new mechanic from the DOW/forced_peace stable, designed to put the player on the spot diplomatically?

Sounds like a bug. I mean, 7 gold per turn for open borders is pretty ridiculous! I have no idea why the AI would approach you with that deal anyway.

This happens to me often. Trading with other civilizations for gpt in exchage for a resource is something that I do to AI civilizations. However, whenever they try to renew the same trade after its 30 turn expiration, civilizations sometimes make the same proposal and stop accepting it. So what I do is, I lower the gpt that I ask from them by 1 until they accept. In your case, open borders for 7 gpt and having the AI turn down its own proposal is normal. Lowering the gpt to 6 to see if the AI accepts could probably work and if it doesn't, then lowering the gpt to 5 should work even more, etc, etc.

Related issue: civs demanding something from YOU in order for YOU to vote for THEIR world congress proposal! lol um no...

This is a bug even if someone tries to claim it isn't. Those proposals are firm offers; the player has no such option to renege on accepted offers. If the AI does this then there really is no justification for frowning on things like "make a lump sum deal + DoW" (back when it was more practical to do that) or "trade and pillage". Apparently cheating both ways is expected for the time being ;).

Sounds like a bug. I mean, 7 gold per turn for open borders is pretty ridiculous! I have no idea why the AI would approach you with that deal anyway.

Most often I've gotten this offer when the AI is at war with a civ on the other side of me.

Most often I've gotten this offer when the AI is at war with a civ on the other side of me.

Is this something that happened after the fall patch? Open borders used to be 1 or 2 gold per turn.

2 gpt is the standard post-patch price for open borders. But if you keep denying borders and the AI is really desperate, ...

Yeah, this happens from time to time. I fund it quite funny that they often say something along the lines of: Outrageous! or This deal is going nowhere. Um, you ARE the one bringing it up here. If you wanna stop paying me, tell me in a mater which doesn't make you look like a bigger fool.

2 gpt is the standard post-patch price for open borders. But if you keep denying borders and the AI is really desperate, ...

Wow, I didn't know that! :) That's really cool, I didn't know the AI had the potential to assign open borders to levels beyond 2gpt. I like it though!

Candidly, I wouldn't count on this presenting itself at a time when you would want to take advantage of it. When I've seen it, the 6 or 7 gpt was not meaningful, and I usually didn't want to grant OB for strategic reasons.

post-patch the AI is meant to be more aware of OB and CV. I've been offered 10gpt once but that was because the civ in question needed to march it's troops across my territory to take out someone else. I've also seen more sneaky OB requests put in RA proposals.

Top Bottom