Civs founding cities...

dont give embassy at least till turn 100.
I used to think that this was a pretty good solution. Maybe the behavior has been patched, but I no longer think that exchanging embassies matters hardly at all. I don’t give one up until I have writing, but I no longer wait on NC. After ~T75, they either know where you are, or you are too far away to forward settle.
also i set distane between cities to 5 tiles so even when u trade embassy and they come settle near u it will not damage your tiles.
I was using 4 for a long time, as 5 was too limiting too much of the time. That turned out to be messing with my GotM submissions :blush: so I changed it back to 3. But playing with 4 for the long while got me over a hump.

I used to think that this was a pretty good solution. Maybe the behavior has been patched, but I no longer think that exchanging embassies matters hardly at all. I don’t give one up until I have writing, but I no longer wait on NC. After ~T75, they either know where you are, or you are too far away to forward settle.

I was using 4 for a long time, as 5 was too limiting too much of the time. That turned out to be messing with my GotM submissions :blush: so I changed it back to 3. But playing with 4 for the long while got me over a hump.
if i give embassy early than ai just rushes settlers my way,when i dont than i usually only have to deal with close neighbour.also i think 5 tiles away is good as it allows for bigger cities.do u know where i can set distance between civs?cause in the files i checked it doesnt really work enen when editing all 3 files locations.there is one setting there i susect which is called like cvs distance percentage..any idea.?

if i give embassy early than ai just rushes settlers my way
Well, I don’t give away embassy until I am finishing up my pre-NC expos. But that should be well before the T100 benchmark that you mention!
also i think 5 tiles away is good as it allows for bigger cities
That is what I aim for myself, but having the option for only 3 or 4 can be important. If nothing else, that lets you pinch Natural Wonders from CS!
do u know where i can set distance between civs?
No, but I would not expect that to have much of an effect. The map generating algorithms are already trying to space out the major civs as much as it can!

do u know where i can set distance between civs?
If you mean how far apart civs start from each other, I know that there's a mapscript called Rhineland that has settings for that.

You could also try playing on a larger map size and just enable less civs, too. The only downside to Rhineland is that you can't exactly control the map size; it's based off of several factors, notably the amount of major civs and city-states in the game.

also i set distane between cities to 5 tiles so even when u trade embassy and they come settle near u it will not damage your tiles.

That just means that when they do forward settle you, they're blocking out a 5 tile per side hex of the area that you wanted to settle. I'm not sure if that makes the situation better or worse, because, as you said, at least the three rings around the cities you have built are protected. Also, what if you wanted to share a few tiles between cities? Like a cluster of salt mines to quickly build the second city up? Or a couple of bonus/lux resourse mines that you might want to swap in and out between growth spurts? Or High food tiles?

I guess if you ONLY play Tradition, it's not that big of a handicap, but this could really prevent any empire larger than 6 or 7 cities depending on map settings.

dont give embassy.once u give it the ai will send settlers your way.
gie it only later at classic medievel once u establish few cities.
also if u play on epic ,recommend to change min distance between cities,setting it to 5 is best imo.
also no open borders.

That just means that when they do forward settle you, they're blocking out a 5 tile per side hex of the area that you wanted to settle. I'm not sure if that makes the situation better or worse, because, as you said, at least the three rings around the cities you have built are protected. Also, what if you wanted to share a few tiles between cities? Like a cluster of salt mines to quickly build the second city up? Or a couple of bonus/lux resourse mines that you might want to swap in and out between growth spurts? Or High food tiles?

I guess if you ONLY play Tradition, it's not that big of a handicap, but this could really prevent any empire larger than 6 or 7 cities depending on map settings.
i let them settle.in the mean time i build an army and usually at the middle or end of ancient i start a war that will roll the entire game

Top Bottom