Clarification of Take over ai?

Alistic

Warlord
Hi someone in the multiplayer lobby today was saying that take over ai (the feature that will stop people from joining and taking over the ai's spot in multiplayer) will only work if you start with ai's. He said if you start with human players and someone quits, another person can still rejoin and take over the ai's spot even though take over ai is unchecked.

Is this correct?

Yes. Just make sure that you put password protection on the human civs that you don't want other people taking.

Hehe no password protect is only for loading up the game and trying to pick another civ. So someone cant load the game and look into their opponents cities. See I think there is major confusion about that function also.

Wow no one knows? I will test unchecking this and report back if when its started with humans if people are still able to join or not.

When someone quits in multiplayer with only human players, the AI will immediately take over for that person. The person in the chat was wrong. If the human civ is not password protected, anyone in gamespy can take over for the AI. Any person logged into gamespy can look at any non-protected civs where the person has quit, you do not have to be in the game. Janos gave you correct information, you are acutally the one confused about the functions.

Ok sorry that 1st of all isnt the question. Aside from that that isnt what password protect civs is for. Read what i wrote about password protect civs.

I think im just going to have to test this myself. Since those responding seem to be more confused than even I am.

Password protect is only for loading the game up from the load game option. Then it will not allow you to choose a password protected civ. This is so people dont find a way to load up the savegame and see whats in all their opponents cities. If you password protect your civs, you can in fact get replaced if you leave the game, by another human. It will not block them out of the game. It will just ask them to create a new password when they join. Now that thats clear.

Does the "takeover ai" feature under multiplayer only work if you start out with AI's. They were insisting in the lobby that it only would work if you start with ai's not if an AI replaces a human.

Alistic said:
If you password protect your civs, you can in fact get replaced if you leave the game, by another human. It will not block them out of the game. It will just ask them to create a new password when they join. Now that thats clear.
Actually, you are wrong. If you password protect your civ, another human who does not know the password cannot replace you. Many a ladder MP game has been ruined by a player leaving who PW'd his civ and didn't tell anyone the PW.

We have already tested that out, unless they changed something in the expansion, you are incorrect. Password protecting the room would do what you say though.

Test it yourself, password protect your civ then leave and rejoin. It will ask you for a password for your civ again. Not to enter the password that you previously entered.

Its too bad we are getting caught up on this hehe, this was another mystery that has already been tested months ago. Id really like to find out about the take over ai option now. Cause you would need 3 to test that as well, and I wont have an opportunity to do that for a couple days.

Ok so Just to satisfy myself i went and tested that out right now "Again". Do this yourself if you dont belive me. Join a game in progress or a new one it doesent matter. Set the password protect civ. Leave the game and rejoin. It asks for you to "CHOOSE A NEW PASSWORD" not enter the one you set before.

This feature is only for loading the game, not for games in progress. Like i said already, it was made so people don't load the savegame up and see whats in their opponenets cities.

No worries though, alot of people think that is what password protect civs is for. I did too till someone showed me otherwise.

Speaker said:
Many a ladder MP game has been ruined by a player leaving who PW'd his civ and didn't tell anyone the PW.

That quote is very interesting though. Seeing as how you can leave the password blank if you want and it would still let you join? Many a ladder game ay? A pretty blatent lie. Unless those games were being loaded by a savegame. Then it would work. But why would you want someone else taking over for a civ in a ladder game?

Ok I have tested the "take over for AI" and here is the finding. You do not need to start with ai's for this to work. Like the chat lobby was insisting. If you leave the game and an AI takes over for you, it will not let you rejoin. It actually just closes the slot.

So if you start with 5 people it would be 5/5. leave the game and try to rejoin it will now say 4/4. The ai will have taken over but it wont let you hot join.

If anyone was wondering about how that works there it is.

Speaker said:
Sometimes players have emergency situations that require them to leave. Or a power outage. Or internet outage. Or they crash and don't show up for 10+ minutes and the game must go on.

Anyways its all figured out now, regardless. It would be nice if there was a feature that you could password your civ so no one else could join and take your spot though.

Top Bottom