Clarification on Advanced Tactics Mechanics

ztarg

Chieftain
First off, thanks for the continued support for FFH2! My friend and I always play with Advanced Tactics enabled (mostly for the great generals, it feels wrong without them in the game). Some questions:

1. Tech diffusion... what impacts it? I understand that you get beakers towards techs that are already researched by others but does it require trade routes? Embassies? Not being at war? I'd love to understand the factors at play.

2. PoW exchange. Does accepting this have any actual impact on the game other than a diplo bonus? Do you return units you captured using a Command promo or Domination? Also I think the AI is way too aggressive about asking for this. They ask almost EVERY turn after a war, so eventually I just give in and accept it out of annoyance.

3. Non-aggression pact. Does this have any actual effect other than the +1 diplo bonus? My friend signed one of these with the Svartalfar and they declared on him two or three turns later. Not really out of character for Viconia, but maybe it ought to act like a peace treaty while active?

One last misc. thing - I love the 'Cease bothering us!' option in singleplayer (although I think it needs a diplo penalty). Any chance of enabling this for multiplayer games?

Last edited:
2. PoW exchange. Does accepting this have any actual impact on the game other than a diplo bonus? Do you return units you captured using a Command promo or Domination? Also I think the AI is way too aggressive about asking for this. They ask almost EVERY turn after a war, so eventually I just give in and accept it out of annoyance.
It definitely returns units captured using the Command promo (probably Domination too, but not sure). I captured Corindale like 50 turns ago and, yes, I get the Elohim asking for PoW exchange almost every turn since then.
3. Non-aggression pact. Does this have any actual effect other than the +1 diplo bonus? My friend signed one of these with the Svartalfar and they declared on him two or three turns later. Not really out of character for Viconia, but maybe it ought to act like a peace treaty while active?
Are you sure it was just 2 or 3 turns later, not 10? Because that's when the agreement expires. In single-player games, whomever breaks an agreement is supposed to get a massive diplo penalty, but if a computer player (or other human player) does it to a human player, it's up to that human player to forgive and forget or not.

On that note, it might be annoying, but it actually parallels real world diplomacy. Just last week, a British MP made a grandiose public statement about how Trump "can't" just pull out of the Paris Agreement, because the U.S. (under a previous administration) signed it. Except we can. We always could, as could any other signatories. How other countries choose to react to that is their business, but there are no global cops enforcing these agreements/treaties. It's only a matter of what other countries will do if they are broken. In the case of more powerful countries breaking treaties with less powerful countries, it's like Darth Vader saying, "I have altered our agreement. Pray that I do not alter it any further."

First off, thanks for the continued support for FFH2! My friend and I always play with Advanced Tactics enabled (mostly for the great generals, it feels wrong without them in the game). Some questions:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the mod!

1. Tech diffusion... what impacts it? I understand that you get beakers towards techs that are already researched by others but does it require trade routes? Embassies? Not being at war? I'd love to understand the factors at play.

This feature was merged as part of another mod and I haven't really touched it. Embassies have no effect (though they should). Mostly based on Open Borders, Defensive Pacts and War status as far as I can tell with a quick glance. The code for it is here - https://bitbucket.org/Tholal/more-n...on.py?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default

I'm surprised this does anything at all. It looks like the code was never completed. I'll be removing this diplo option in the next release.

Non-aggression pact has no enforcement. It should cause a negative diplo effect with everyone when broken, but there were some missing XML values. Should be fixed in the next release.

One last misc. thing - I love the 'Cease bothering us!' option in singleplayer (although I think it needs a diplo penalty). Any chance of enabling this for multiplayer games?

Not sure. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the replies, I'll be looking forward to the next release!

I'm surprised this does anything at all. It looks like the code was never completed.

Sorry! I thought I'd experimented with giving Elohim his PoW exchange, but I just did and, you're right, there is in fact no exchange. I agreed to it and the next turn I still have Corindale. There's also no diplo effect.

Top Bottom