"Classical" Religion Mod

fenceman

Chieftain
I have created a mod which adds all of the "Classical" Religions, as they are listed here. This includes all 7 origional Religions, and also Shinto, Sikhism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, and the Baha'i Faith, a total of 12 religions :D .

I made Sikhism, Jainism, and Bahai Faith from scratch, and borrowed the artwork for Zoroastrianism from TAM (though i changed it a bit), and I borrowed all the shinto files from Dual's Shinto Mod.

I havn't done a whole lot of testing, but the new 5 religions seem to work just as well as the origional 7. The only bug i've found so far is the names of the religions overlap on the religion screen, and i don't know how to fix that.

Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/Classical_Religions.zip

With which technologies do the new religions appear with?

Nice collection, it still needs a bit more artwork and Text but I realy think you got something going here.

I would change some of the Tech names and effects so their not just simply the religion and nothing else.

Zoroasterism - Why not a GreatProphet for first discoverer, name the tech "Profethood" of such.
Monotheism - should change Polytheism to Zoroasterims pre-requisite
Shamanism - give it something like Agriculture or Hunting as a hard "requires knowlage of" Pre-requisite and Meditation for the arrow
Janism - considering the close link with Hinduism perhaps add it to Polytheism so one Tech could give 2 religions, ofcorse Parthanon should be moved to compensate (perhaps to Shamanism)
Bahi - could probably be put with a late game tech like Liberalism as your not going to get much spread for a super late religion like that.

On the Art side, see if some additional Missionary skins can be created and use different bases for them as well, Confusian, Taoist, Hindu so their as Unique as possible. Also I find the Sikh and Zoroaster icons on the map view (ones right along the City info panel) are hard to make out, use brighter stronger contrasting colors. The Shinto icon needs thicker lines in bright red and the cross beam should curl upwards at the ends.

I've had a chance to play the mod, and it's really cool. I also have a few suggestions:

First, I would try to add the religions in a spot where they appeared historically. I never really liked how Civ 4 handled this, because for some reason Buddhism is always founded before Hinduism... Really the order they're founded in should be something closer to:

Hinduism
Zoroastrianism/Judaism
Jainism/Buddhism
Confucianism
Taoism
Shinto
Christianity
Islam
Sikhism
Baha'i Faith

Also, I noticed that you spelled "Zoroastrianism" wrong in the Tech name. :p

Anyway, I like this mod a lot and will always keep playing with it from now on. If you decide to keep working on it and maybe to try to put the religions in a better historical order, can I make a suggestion as to where to put them:

Hinduism: move to Meditation
Zoroastrianism: move to Polytheism
Judaism: keep where it is
Jainism: maybe with Literature?
Buddhism: maybe with Monarchy or Construction?
Confucianism: keep where it is
Taoism: keep where it is
Shinto: maybe with Civil Service?
Christianity: keep where it is
Islam: keep where it is
Sikhism: with Astronomy? or keep where it is...
Baha'i Faith: move to Liberalism, or just after Liberalism

I mostly put them with these teches because for one, adding many new techs just for religions isn't really worth it -- it slows your research, plus you have to build missionaries, so it can be really bad economically, and these teches fall roughly around the same time as the religions were founded, and generally have something to do with the religion (for example, Jainism is one of the most literate religions in the world, and India's oldest libraries are maintained by Jain institutions).

Anyway, it's just an idea... but I think it would really add to the historicness of the mod! :)

shinto isn't a religion

D. Minky said:
Hinduism
Zoroastrianism/Judaism
Jainism/Buddhism
Confucianism
Taoism
Shinto
Christianity
Islam
Sikhism
Baha'i Faith

I would think Shinto should even be after Islam, something like 700 AD.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto

I really like the idea of adding more Religions. It gives more variety to the game. Maybe consider adding Egyptian mythology, Greek mythology, Mesopotamian mythology, Chinese mythology, Atheism and The New Age. If you think this will mean too many religions, consider deleting some of the less influerencial religions, such as Baha'i Faith and Sikhism. Just my opinion.:)

Shouldn't you put the religion about where it emerged as a movement, so Hindu, then Zoracaster...etc

Thanks for the feedback. I've been out of town this last week, so I didn't get a chance to post anything new. I'm going to go back and move the technologies for the religions around so that they appear closer to where they did in reality, also i'm going to work on finishing the texts and everything.

Im not going to edit the art files any more myself. I'm not much of an artist, most of the art files i have were just cut and paste. If anybody else wants to make better icons i would appreciate it.

Also I'm not going to include any additional religions to the ones i already have (at least in this mod). The list of "Classical" Religions that I added to the game can be found herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religions#Historic_.22classic.22_view

I'm a painter, so I wouldn't mind giving a shot at editing the art files. I haven't done any Civ editing yet, though, but I'll look into it.

Any thoughts on the date/tech changes that Genghis and I brought up?

Thanks for putting this out there Fenceman. This is a great resource--I will probably incorporate some of this in my upcoming religion mod (with attribution of course). :goodjob:

Eusebius

NikNaks93 said:
I was thinking about making a mod with a few changes for more realistic gameplay. Could I use this?

You should take a look at my world religions mod and see if it goes in the direction you had in mind. I would also enjoy some dialogue about alternate ideas.

Eusebius

NikNaks93 said:
I was thinking about making a mod with a few changes for more realistic gameplay. Could I use this?

Go ahead. Part of the reason I made this mod was so that people would have an easier time adding more religions to their own mods.

Problem, you have forgotten Greco-Roman Polytheism, Mesopotamian Cult and Animism can you add the three ?

Is compatible Warlord ?

:goodjob: Good job man !

Dude, sikhism is a combination of the hindu and muslim religion so it should come in after those.

Sikhism is not a combination of Hindu or Islam. Much of what it says is in direct contradiction to Islamic and Hindu beliefs.

Top Bottom