Clean OS install works in 3 cases I know of

stumben

Chieftain
Ok, I know that reformatting your computer isnt exactly what you feel like doing. Just posting what I know so far.

Myself and 2 friends of mine did a clean install , dled the latest drivers, let civ4 install direct x and the game works - barring some sound glitches I am having. I am on windows 2k my 2 friends are on xp. We all have ATI cards ( Raedon 9800, x800 and... I forget what the other one had sorry. ).

Anyway, there was one thing we all had in common. We all had recently installed the new directx via other games in the last few weeks. ( F.E.A.R, splinter cell, Q4 ) And we had had been getting varying directx dll errors. Mine was the worst case - to the point where FEAR and Q4 would just bomb out and not even run ( popped up a missing dll error ). Nothing I tried fixed it ( reinstalling direct x ).

So, I was going to reformat regardless of Civ 4.

Is there a possibility of corrupt Directx Installs entirely unassociated with Civ 4 floating around the web. Maybe even a virus? This is purely speculation. Who knows why it mainly affects ATI cards.

So, if any of you have the time. and dont have to perform serious backups. do a CLEAN re-install of your os, THEN dl the newest drivers.

I believe my directx install was corrupt and regular methods of uninstall were not doing the trick.

I would think and hope that somone will pinpoint a much easier fix but.... a new install of your OS always does wonders anyway. Civ 4 installed in like 1 minute for me on a fresh empty Hard drive! :)

Top Bottom