Coke or Pepsi? Android or iOS?

Anroid OS or iOS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crbarber22695

The Next Great Liberal
Android or iOS? Droid or iPhone? One of the big questions we face when it's time to buy a smartphone, that is if you can't decide on AT&T or Verizon. (Obviously, Verizon is the easy winner in coverage, but we're talking phones, not networks.)

So, for you which is the easy winner?
Android OS or iPhone OS?

My vote is for WebOS, but since it's sorta dieing I'll probably go to an Android phone next. I wouldn't even consider an iphone until it's available on a carrier besides AT&T, and even then it would take a hell of a lot to convince me to lock in with Apple.

My vote is for WebOS, but since it's sorta dieing I'll probably go to an Android phone next. I wouldn't even consider an iphone until it's available on a carrier besides AT&T, and even then it would take a hell of a lot to convince me to lock in with Apple.

Buy an iphone on ebay and unlock it?

I would never sign a contract with any mobile company.

You will still need to pay for data on Verizon. You pretty much need a contract to make efficient use of your smartphone.

With that being said, if I ever do get one, Android is my choice. Nothing quite like writing my own apps for my phone, which Android makes a lot easier than iOS.

Buy an iphone on ebay and unlock it?

Unless something has changed an unlocked iPhone on Tmobile is basically crippled, no access to 3G data speeds (Tmobile uses different radio frequencies on its 3G network that the iPhone doesn't support).

AT&T is the deal breaker but I'm not a fan of Apple in general.

is it easy to do that? i'm thinking of buying a 3GS and using a Verizon SIM card for it.

iPhones can't be used on Verizon. The iPhone only supports GSM/HSDPA networks, and Verizon uses CDMA.

Edit:
You will still need to pay for data on Verizon. You pretty much need a contract to make efficient use of your smartphone.

Unless something has changed since I left AT&T contracts have no effect on the service you receive or features you have access to. It's all about getting the subsidized pricing on the phones.

Neither; I don't drink soda

Neither; I can't afford none o dem fancy shmansy phones.

iPhones can't be used on Verizon. The iPhone only supports GSM/HSDPA networks, and Verizon uses CDMA.

you can buy a SIM card for Verizon that allows you to use GSM/HSDPA. It's made for people who travel so they can use their phones where ever. It costs about $30 but I'm not sure how easy it would be to take the AT&T SIM out and replace it with the Verizon one.

Technically, iPhones have the slight edge; that is, any phone out now (that I'm aware of, anyway) won't compare to the new iPhone's screen. Seriously, go to an Apple shop and take a look, it is magnificent. However, it's simply not worth the cost. Android-based phones just offer so much more value for money that it would be insane to buy an iPhone.

In terms of the OS, they both do pretty much the same thing. The App Store on the iPhone has more apps, and you'll find apps for the iPhone that you can't get for the Android, but frankly, the difference is totally insignificant -- anything you can possibly want on a phone, you can get on either platform. In addition, the Android market usually offers free versions of paid apps, with a tiny ad on the bottom; paid iPhone apps typically don't (at least, you can't count on it the way you can with Android stuff).

Like I said, the OSes are basically the same; they offer pretty much the same functionality, at the same speed. The Android, though, can multitask, which is pretty damn useful... It also has "widgets" that sit on your home screen, where you can quickly at a glance access common functionality. E.g. I have a Foursquare widget that tells me where my friends last checked in. Android is also rather more customisable -- you can install new modded OSes made by The Community that add functionality, unlock existing/experimental functionality, or re-enable old functionality that was disabled in new updates. Oh and you can get rid of network branding, too. And, as GenocidicBunny said, you can make your own apps! For me, at least, that's a pretty big plus; even though there is usually an app that will do what you want, just knowing that you can make your own just in case is a big plus.

Technically, iPhones have the slight edge; that is, any phone out now (that I'm aware of, anyway) won't compare to the new iPhone's screen.

The Samsung Epic 4G is on par. From the anandtech review:

I’d say Samsung’s Super AMOLED is in the running for best display on a smartphone up there with the iPhone 4’s Retina Display. Apple has the resolution advantage, but Samsung has a huge contrast advantage. The former is nicer for reading text, while the latter is better for just about everything else.

And can't the iphone multitask yet with recent ios updates? My $100 dumbphone can multitask just fine.

you can buy a SIM card for Verizon that allows you to use GSM/HSDPA. It's made for people who travel so they can use their phones where ever. It costs about $30 but I'm not sure how easy it would be to take the AT&T SIM out and replace it with the Verizon one.

Those SIM cards are only for use when you're outside of Verizon's CDMA coverage. They should work with an unlocked iPhone, but they'd be worthless within the US since Verizon does not have a GSM network.

Edit: And the whole reason those SIM cards work is that the phones they're meant for - like the BB Storm, have both GSM and CDMA radios. The iPhone doesn't.

Android for me. After my experience with my Macbook, I decided not to ever give Apple another penny. Considering the whole "antennagate" issue with the new iPhones, it looks like Apple's tradition of shoddy-but-pretty design is continuing.

As for AT&T versus Verizon, Verizon was the company I was trying to get rid of when I was getting a new phone, so I ended up going with T-Mobile instead. I find the whole "coverage map" argument rather amusing, actually, considering they each say "we cover 99.999% of Americans" and then show a map that is missing a huge chunk of the Appalachians ("We cover 99.999% of Americans, but screw the rednecks from West Virginia.")

Those SIM cards are only for use when you're outside of Verizon's CDMA coverage. They should work with an unlocked iPhone, but they'd be worthless within the US since Verizon does not have a GSM network.

Edit: And the whole reason those SIM cards work is that the phones they're meant for - like the BB Storm, have both GSM and CDMA radios. The iPhone doesn't.

damn..haha

Why only a choice of these two, in the 3rd and 4th places of market share? This isn't like asking Coke or Pepsi (which are the 1st and 2nd places).

My preferred choice is Symbian. Android looks fine too, and I'd much prefer that over IOS. Though I'd prefer just about anything to the IPhones, based on how many features they lacked over the years. (Not even sure why the earlier generations counted as a "smartphone", when it was just as locked down as a feature phone, and lacked many basic features. If Internet access and running apps counts as a smartphone, then just about every bog standard phone made in the last 5 years is a smartphone - the days when only high end phones could do this were around 8-10 years ago!)

There's also far more choice than the Droid, if you don't like the form as Crbarber22695 says. You've got things like the Nexus One and HTC Desire; and my Nokia 5800 is sleek enough for me :)

Technically, iPhones have the slight edge; that is, any phone out now (that I'm aware of, anyway) won't compare to the new iPhone's screen.
Well, we can't say they have the slight edge, based solely on one factor though.

Also, consider all the years when the IPhones had a very low resolution. I find it interesting that no one ever considered that a problem then, but all of a sudden when screen resolution is the one thing the IPhone allegedly does better, suddenly it's the most important factor...

Seriously, go to an Apple shop and take a look, it is magnificent. However, it's simply not worth the cost. Android-based phones just offer so much more value for money that it would be insane to buy an iPhone.
I agree :)

In terms of the OS, they both do pretty much the same thing. The App Store on the iPhone has more apps, and you'll find apps for the iPhone that you can't get for the Android, but frankly, the difference is totally insignificant
I agree it's insignificant, but also note that comparing app store counts is unfair, as on Apple, you can only release on their app store. It would be silly to claim for example, that the IPhone has more software than Windows, based solely on the fact that there's no Microsoft app store!

Like I said, the OSes are basically the same; they offer pretty much the same functionality, at the same speed. The Android, though, can multitask, which is pretty damn useful...
Yep, find this useful on Symbian too. Surely the whole point of a smartphone is to behave like a general purpose computer - if I wanted Internet access and apps without multitasking, you can get a feature phone that does the job at a fraction of the price. I think they _finally_ added it, but that's the whole problem - as with basic features like copy/paste, having a decent resolution, video recording, video calls, MMS - it all comes years after the competition (and when it does come, there's usually a big fanfare as if Apple did it first).

And, as GenocidicBunny said, you can make your own apps! For me, at least, that's a pretty big plus; even though there is usually an app that will do what you want, just knowing that you can make your own just in case is a big plus.
Yes, the idea of paying a company for the privilege of writing your own software seems mad to me. Symbian is great for development - it now uses the crossplatform toolkit Qt, which makes development easy, and it's trivial to crosscompile to Maemo/Meego, Windows, Linux and OS X.

You can put CivRev on your iPhone.

Therefore iPhone wins
It's depressing that so many companies are deciding to cater only for the IPhone. Even more depressing when the UK Government and public funded organisations like the BBC are doing it. When this happens with Windows, there's an uproar, but catering for only ~3% of the phone market is apparently fine. At least Windows has 90+% market share, and it's number one - in so-called "smartphone" OSs, ignoring J2ME, Apple are still only 3rd place in the US, and 4th worldwide, with no sign of overtaking anyone (Q2 2010 results showed Android was increasing sales fastest, with Symbian 2nd, Blackberry 3rd, meaning the gap between all those and Apple is increasing, not decreasing).

iOS only because I can use it on a music player (iPod Touch) that isn't also a phone, and as such, can access and download without having to pay for a data plan. (plug it into USB or use Wireless LAN)

I know i'm the one guy in all of north america who doesn't own or want a cell phone right now, so most people would disagree with me :)

Also, canadian providers are downright robbing people when it comes to data plans.

iOS because I've used an adroid-based phone and I hate it. I just don't like the look&feel of it. It's like runing a QT-framework application on MacOS. It's a pain in the a^^.

And as for price - I prefer to spend more on a Mercedes that on a italian Fiat. Those two cars will get you where you're going (although the latter may have some problems after a year) but it's the quality of the journey it's about ;)

The only thing about unhacked iOS is I can't install ScummVM on it. But wait... I do have a unlocked iOS installed, so it's just a problem :)

Top Bottom