College Football 2009

Kraznaya

Princeps
Well, spring training is in full swing and we're seeing scrimmages and position battles play out.

At USC I got my wish of Momma's Boy Mustain not getting the QB job, and probably not even the backup job. I love Corp's versatility and Barkley's evidently the best freshman Pete Carroll's ever had during his time here, so I like the way our offense is looking with all the other skill positions and O-Line basically entirely coming back. On defense we lose probably the best LB corps of all time but Taylor Mays I think will take a more active role with his athleticism to make up for that.

Looking at a possible top 10 for next season (and discussing this with various people) it seems like the only clearcut is who the top four teams are going to be: Florida, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, which currently at this point in that order. The media has a tendency to overrate QBs though, so Oklahoma might be #2 in the preseason polls. After that it's all a mess filling out the top 10. Virginia Tech? Ole Miss? Big 10 Overrated State :)mischief:)? Seriously?

Anyway, thoughts?

Here is one thought, this thread was way to early :p

Besides me thinking Texas can go all the way (duh), I think a Big 10 team will actually win a BCS game this year.

Also, Notre Dame gets into a respectable bowl.

d-d-d-double post

Here is one thought, this thread was way to early :p

Besides me thinking Texas can go all the way (duh), I think a Big 10 team will actually win a BCS game this year.

Also, Notre Dame gets into a respectable bowl.

What are you trying to do, get all the non-SEC and Pac-10 people to endorse your wildest dreams?

Well, spring training is in full swing and we're seeing scrimmages and position battles play out.

At USC I got my wish of Momma's Boy Mustain not getting the QB job, and probably not even the backup job. I love Corp's versatility and Barkley's evidently the best freshman Pete Carroll's ever had during his time here, so I like the way our offense is looking with all the other skill positions and O-Line basically entirely coming back. On defense we lose probably the best LB corps of all time but Taylor Mays I think will take a more active role with his athleticism to make up for that.

Looking at a possible top 10 for next season (and discussing this with various people) it seems like the only clearcut is who the top four teams are going to be: Florida, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, which currently at this point in that order. The media has a tendency to overrate QBs though, so Oklahoma might be #2 in the preseason polls. After that it's all a mess filling out the top 10. Virginia Tech? Ole Miss? Big 10 Overrated State :)mischief:)? Seriously?

Anyway, thoughts?

Ohio State is going to lose 3-4 games easy.

I just hope Georgia Tech can beat Georgia again this year.

Link to video.

Ohio State is going to lose 3-4 games easy.

I doubt it. The talk out of Columbus is that Coach T is going to open up the offense more (like he did with Troy Smith's senior season), to take full advantage of TP's talent. No more of that terrible run run sack punt offense.

I don't anticipate a huge talent drop off from last season, since I expect TP to be much better, and Ohio State has dome depth at RB and LB, places where they graduated a lot of talent. USC, Penn State and Wisconsin will be tough games, but I would be surprised if they lost three games. They'll compete for the Big Ten Title again I think.

I'll certainly be rooting against them. They have become the Notre Dame of the 21st Century, and an ex-girlfriend is a raving fanatic.

I just hope Georgia Tech can beat Georgia again this year.

That was one of my favorite games from last year. Mark Richt has really got on my bad side, and his team was clearly unprepared for every game they lost last year. Watching that Navy style offense just run all over Georgia was beautiful.

I'll certainly be rooting against them. They have become the Notre Dame of the 21st Century, and an ex-girlfriend is a raving fanatic.

You sir, don't know anything about college football. They're easily one of the Top 10 Universities in college football over the past decade.

I doubt it. The talk out of Columbus is that Coach T is going to open up the offense more (like he did with Troy Smith's senior season), to take full advantage of TP's talent. No more of that terrible run run sack punt offense.

I don't anticipate a huge talent drop off from last season, since I expect TP to be much better, and Ohio State has dome depth at RB and LB, places where they graduated a lot of talent. USC, Penn State and Wisconsin will be tough games, but I would be surprised if they lost three games. They'll compete for the Big Ten Title again I think.

I'm down on them this year. It's clearly rebuilding time even with Pryor at the helm.

You sir, don't know anything about college football. They're easily one of the Top 10 Universities in college football over the past decade.
You do realize that at one time Notre Dame used to be the most dominant college football team, much as Ohio State has been during the past decade. Right?

I think you got a little confused here, as he was referring to OSU being like what Notre Dame was, not what it currently is.

Notre Dame has been suspect my entire lifetime, Ohio State, not so much. No team can be great forever, and I realize that, but the amount of hype that Ohio State gets pales in comparison to Notre Dame...

Sure there's been controversy about Ohio State and whether they're a real contender or not, but they don't have a national TV contract, their arch rival has fallen on hard times, and they haven't been put into situations they haven't arguably earned, like Notre Dame.

Between 1964 and 1980, Notre Dame went on a run that is on par, if not superior to what Ohio State is doing now. Particularly under the first eleven years under coach Parseghian, where their worst record was 8-3 in 1972 (they never lost more two games in any other year during his coaching tenure). Under Parseghian (11 years), they won two national titles (more than Ohio State has won during the Tressel and Cooper eras combined). In six years under Dan Devine, the Fighting Irish remained near the top of college football winning a National Title in 1977. They then had a few down years under coach Gary Faust before Lou Holtz took over and guided them to another National Title in 1988. After the got rid of Holtz they went down this terrible mediocrity streak they've been stuck in for over a decade.

Greatness came out of ND for so long that it became expected that they contend every single year. We can go back even further from 1964 to the 50's and 40's. During the 40's they went on a run that included 4 national titles and 5 undefeated seasons (4 of them were in a row). That is absolutely unheard of!

Like I said, they have just been great for so long that everyone gives them the benefit of the doubt.

Between 1964 and 1980, Notre Dame went on a run that is on par, if not superior to what Ohio State is doing now. Particularly under the first eleven years under coach Parseghian, where their worst record was 8-3 in 1972 (they never lost more two games in any other year during his coaching tenure). Under Parseghian (11 years), they won two national titles (more than Ohio State has won during the Tressel and Cooper eras combined). In six years under Dan Devine, the Fighting Irish remained near the top of college football winning a National Title in 1977. They then had a few down years under coach Gary Faust before Lou Holtz took over and guided them to another National Title in 1988. After the got rid of Holtz they went down this terrible mediocrity streak they've been stuck in for over a decade.

Greatness came out of ND for so long that it became expected that they contend every single year. We can go back even further from 1964 to the 50's and 40's. During the 40's they went on a run that included 4 national titles and 5 undefeated seasons (4 of them were in a row). That is absolutely unheard of!

Like I said, they have just been great for so long that everyone gives them the benefit of the doubt.

Why should leather era football history account for anything though?

And I don't think they're the Notre Dame of the 21st Century because they haven't done nearly as well as Notre Dame in the 20th Century and they likely won't.

We should talk about teams that will actually win something this year!

You guys have any picks for a sleeper BCS team? Besides Boise State? :p

Why should leather era football history account for anything though?

And I don't think they're the Notre Dame of the 21st Century because they haven't done nearly as well as Notre Dame in the 20th Century and they likely won't.

I'll put this simply for you...
OSU is the Notre Dame of the 21st Century because right now we are the most hated team in college football.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3509578

We should talk about teams that will actually win something this year!

You guys have any picks for a sleeper BCS team? Besides Boise State? :p

Umm, Utah? Or do they not count :p.

Top Bottom