Colonies IV makes a curtain call

Thanks for doing this. Can you tell me why the active unit does not flash, though? Makes it hard to play. Is there a setting at my end I ought to change? (The Graphic options - Ctrl-P - don't seem to be active)

Hi John - are you playing with ToTPP? If so, you'll need to check this box. Base ToT has the issue (among others) of not having the active unit flast. @TheNamelessOne fixed that in ToTPP.

upload_2020-12-15_16-46-37.png

Thanks, John. (Only just re-checked on this thread after submerging myself in Medieval Millennium over Christmas....) However, I have tried checking that box (it was originally checked anyway) and launching the scenario, and also un-checking it and re-launching. Either way, the active unit does not flash - only the cursor/active tile marker. In all other scenarios I run under TOTPP, plus the base game itself, I do not have this issue. So, something to do with this particular conversion, perhaps?

Thanks, John. (Only just re-checked on this thread after submerging myself in Medieval Millennium over Christmas....) However, I have tried checking that box (it was originally checked anyway) and launching the scenario, and also un-checking it and re-launching. Either way, the active unit does not flash - only the cursor/active tile marker. In all other scenarios I run under TOTPP, plus the base game itself, I do not have this issue. So, something to do with this particular conversion, perhaps?

Under graphic options (ctrl+p), disable unit animations.

Well, this is weird! All of the normal options under the Game menu are available to play with (Game, City Report and so on) but the Graphics Options, while not greyed-out, does not activate when selected. Either with the mouse or with Ctrl-P. Again, with all the other scenarios on my PC I do not have this problem.

I think maybe a re-install of Colonies 4.3 is in order. Thanks for your help, anyway!

Well, this is weird! All of the normal options under the Game menu are available to play with (Game, City Report and so on) but the Graphics Options, while not greyed-out, does not activate when selected. Either with the mouse or with Ctrl-P. Again, with all the other scenarios on my PC I do not have this problem.

I think maybe a re-install of Colonies 4.3 is in order. Thanks for your help, anyway!

Hey I just want to say I love Colonies IV, one of my favorites of all time.

I do want to say though Colonies I had one of the most fascinating what if premises ever. Starting in 1492, starting as one of the other European powers. I was RPing as France, but instead of God, Gold and Glory, I was sending trade and missionary exploration to the Americas to try and study and convert the Indians like the missions to the Cumans and Vikings and Vandals of old. It was a fascinating premise of trying to RP in a way that French monks trying to learn and record all of the history and mythology and culture of the American Indians before the New World diseases started to hit them in earnest (which they themselves could not know about obviously).

Probably not your intention, but given the Spanish tendency to well...burn the heathen texts, colonies I was a great idea that I completely understand why you didn't follow up on but I'm so utterly thankful you made it. It was like a 1939 World War II scenario or a World War I scenario that starts in January of 1914, which open up all kinds of interesting possibilities for a roleplayer and storyteller of one but is totally mechanically derailing and that why it's almost entirely unheard of. But I want to thank you for that first version. It made me think and it made me dream.

Since this seems to be the most 'recent' post I hope no one minds I'm posting this here. Im playing 4.3 as dutch, viceroy, MGE edition. Sadly find it lackluster :( . Which is weird since what I can find on this forum (and the above post) people love it. Did I install it wrong?
  • Nothing is happening in the new world except natives attacking stockades. Europeans are not expanding.
  • I hoped on tons of fleets/treasure fleets/trade/pirate fleets moving in the Caribbean: Only me sailing alone.
  • I'm not getting any new caravans, so I can not feel Dutch aka trade. How do I get them?
  • Expansion in Europe (which I wasn't planning but got bored in new world) is insanely hard. How does the siege mechanic work?
  • I get sporadic settlers, which is fine. But since 1/4 of my boats sinks across the ocean and Im not cheating, Im nearing 1700 with no expansion options.

Any videos people know of let's plays so I can learn form that? Useful forum posts with experiences? Tried the tournament and beta post but didn't learn much.

Last edited:
Since this seems to be the most 'recent' post I hope no one minds I'm posting this here. Im playing 4.3 as dutch, viceroy, MGE edition. Sadly find it lackluster :( . Which is weird since what I can find on this forum (and the above post) people love it. Did I install it wrong?
This is an old scenario, and is also MGE and not TOT. If you've been playing more recent scenarios, then that could be the reason it seems lackluster. It may also be that to get the most out of the scenario, you have to play multiplayer, which, of course, is quite hard these days.

If I'm remembering the correct scenario, the only trade units are available to the French and English by "hunting the beaver", where killing "beavers" gives them some trade units. Trade units were probably not more generally available since trade can turn your game into a shipping company simulator.

Aha.Patient made a SP and MP scenario, I hope I downloaded the right one. There is also a ToT version, Ill try that and see if it is a bit different. First ship I send out sank right away, so good start :D

I think the Test of Time version is just a conversion of the MGE version, since, for some reason, they didn't bother to let Test of Time read MGE files. My point about test of time scenarios is that even the base Test of Time game had extra scenario features including a larger event system.

Check! Played a bit but ToT version was clearly inferior since the * techs were tradeable. It also seems Im losing even more ships (could be perception). And maybe most important I enjoy the vanilla graphics a lot more with the different city layouts. Moving on to Rape of Nations.

Oh man.. while some staff didn't like bumping in the past this is why I'm okay with it in my areas (especially in scenario project threads).. as somehow I missed this thread with John's big return and an updated version of his famous colonies series.. wow.. only a year or so ago I worked to preserve Colonies 4.2 on multiple sites (as well as Colonies 3 as well) for my preservation super project and had no idea this thread was here with a new updated version. I'll have to try it out asap and update the preserved copy to the new one! Threads like this containing a major release in a attachment can disappear so fast (I often wonder how many lost scenarios reside in the history of this forum due to not being added to the downloads area) so I'll get this backed up and preserved too!

Top Bottom