Colonization - Judgement by an old fan

ThorHa

Chieftain
Hello all,

just recently acquired the new version of Colonization as a dedicated fan of the old Sid Maier (and turn based strategy in general). After a couple of learning games to get used to the variations from good old Colonization I just finished my first game on Explorer/Western Hemisphere Huge victorious with my all time favorite Netherlands. And will attempt to judge the game comparing it to its original.

Improvements
Few. Too few may be. The interface and in game management is a bit better, but only so far, as the old game was really outstanding in this respect. It is especially annoying that easy to implement automation features did not make it into gameplay, such as a patrol order for privateers or frigates ... Graphics has improved but quite honestly - I don´t care as a dedicated strategy lover.

Biggest noticeable improvement is the change in warfare in the war of independence - instead of digging in into cities with incredible amount of cannons behind fortress walls you HAVE to slug it out in the wilderness. This IS more true to history and simply more fun - the old game was outright boring during revolution.

The balance is a bit better now (a bit more challenging) as well by means of downsizing treasury gains (you could earn between 3.000 and 7.500 gold in the old version visiting goody huts - and after de Soto ensured. This made the old game essentially won by as early as 1650) and by the fact that you rarely will get all founding fathers (which everyone could in the old version). That the fountain of youth is gone adds to the challenge as well - this one was the single most overpowered feature of the old Colonization.

The cultural borders feature is an improvement in one respect as well - it gets rid of the blocking European units on your roads which riddled the old game up to the point that you started a war to simply get rid of these intruders.

Degradations
Some. Most noticeable the passive natives. While the native alarm system in the old version more or less forced you to battle it out at least to get rid of the native settlements near your own, in the new version the natives just happily concede settlements after you closed the cultural border. Even worse - if you refuse the handover of settlements the relations decline!

The education system is broken in the shipped game, you have to manually change the xml code to avoid the completely unlogical "feature" of the increasing education costs. The inability to train veteran soldiers is annoying but bearable.

The Colonizepedia - which was one of the shining features of the old game, well explaining each and every aspect of the game - has deteriorated as well in quality. I found features on the board not mentioned in the poor manual neither the online help of the game. Bad quality.

The shipbuilding and shipbuying feature is of no real use in any respect. The amount of royal warships in revolution makes it simply impossible to challenge the Royal Navy, which in the old version you could do with frigates only because the coastal fortress cannons helped a lot against ships. This is counterintuitive - why did they add the possibility to build the expensive "Ship of the LIne" then?

Let me add the as well passive and mostly incompetent European competitors - they stop after 3 cities and get either waxed by the natives or in the war for independence - always.

Overall my impression is that the AI scripts have been worsened as well - this is the case with most modern strategy games, where all is put into graphics and nothing into AI challenge.

Irrelevant
In the boards a lot of people complain about the size of the Royal Forces playing the game as designed - aka accumulating bells over time. Sorry guys, but this complaint is unfounded and simply a result of poor gameplay. I had to start revolution outnumbered 1:10 (40 cannons and some soldiers against 420 royal ground units), 1:5 the first day after revolution and after about 20 turns the odds were 3:1 in my favour. The war of independence should´nt be easy but the in game struggle nowhere near resembles the real struggle of the United States founders ...

Conclusion
For 20 Euro - the price I bought the game in its original German shipping box - the game might be bought. But it is borderline. The very few improvements in fact simply don´t justify a buy, neither did they justify a new release. Looks like Maier has spent his whole creativity (or Brian Reynolds may be) on the original Civ and the original Col, where arguably the latter was the even better and more complete game compared to Civ I. Thus I will enjoy the old Colonization here and then over the next years - it´s a true sign of an excellent game when the temptaion to run it even justifies an investment of time and effort in DOS-environments :). The new version is not really bad, but measured on its predecessor utterly disappointing. Thumbs down.

Regards,

Thorsten

I pretty much agree with Thorha. The most disâppointing thing for me is the lack of any real challenge from the competing colonial powers. Their AI doesn't seem to have a clue how to defend against player attacks, or launch attacks of their own, much less use their navy in any effectual way.

This is vastly improved by the recent AoD2 mod, but still isn't there yet. I have high hopes for the work Dale is doing now importing better AI from other versions of Civ.

My impression is that Civ4Col is a great concept, and a great toolbox for modders, but that the raw vanilla version of the game is somehow unfinished, and doesn't compare favorably to the old DOS version of years ago.

So I continue playing only with the latest build of AoD2, and recommend the same to anyone trying the game. With the changes projected for upcoming builds of this mod, I think we can expect great things. Pity the game didn't ship with a lot of this stuff already implemented!

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Yeah, give AOD II a chance.

Welcome to the Forums ThorHa. :beer:

My impression is that Civ4Col is a great concept, and a great toolbox for modders, but that the raw vanilla version of the game is somehow unfinished, and doesn't compare favorably to the old DOS version of years ago.

The great concept was simply copied from the old DOS(Win 3.11) version. It was at that time arguably the best strategy game out - and I have played all turn based strategy games on the market at that time (and later).

The reason why especially many old fans of the game seem to be annoyed is simple: The original was an outstanding, superbly blended, unique and polished game. Not only did virtually everything fit - everything was that craftfully mixed that the game felt like being a solid, compact and naturally feeling block.

The re-release does nowhere near acheive that feeling. It leaves the taste of "We remake an old jewel because we need money". The old felt like a game made for players, the new like a game made for profit (only). I de-installed it meanwhile, the old version (despite its flaws) was simply better.

My remaining hopes (wishes) as an old strategy lover are now solely for a re-release of the best fantasy strategy game ever - Master of Magic. It´s not going to happen, I know, even less with a re-release of the best and most complete game manual ever shipped with a game. But hope dies last :))))).

For dedicated strategy gamers there´s only one company left now which at least seems dedicated to its community - Paradox Interactive. The games still play and feel more like a sandbox - but its the only company I know which visibly improves its AI scripts with new versions of a game.

Regards,

Thorsten

My remaining hopes (wishes) as an old strategy lover are now solely for a re-release of the best fantasy strategy game ever - Master of Magic. It´s not going to happen, I know, even less with a re-release of the best and most complete game manual ever shipped with a game. But hope dies last :))))).

I'll second that. My all-time favourite game and I still play it today.

Welcome to the Civilization Fanatics' Forums, ThorHa. :hatsoff:

....My remaining hopes (wishes) as an old strategy lover are now solely for a re-release of the best fantasy strategy game ever - Master of Magic....

:agree:

Thanks. Let´s hope they do not screw it, then. The third screwed remake after MOO3 and Colonization would leave me in suicide mode :). But given their Galactic Civilizations series it MAY be they don´t screw it - although the (good) GalCiv series somehow never managed to lead me to the same level of devotion like Panzer General, Civ, Col, MoM or MoO.

Regards,

Thorsten

Many fans considered Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic to be a remake of Master of Magic.

ROFLMAO. Nowhere even near. Whoever even considered that had no clue of MoM. Not that AoW I or 2 were´nt both good games in their own right (they were not really sequels after all, too much difference in style and gameplay), but ...

And yes, I too doubt there ever will be a worthy successor. It´s truely amazing how much effort and dedication was put into that games. It´s number of fresh ideas, features, spells, effects, units and so forth should leave modern designers ashamed as it was done with a small team and for DOS computers with 640 KB memory. Even compared to Civ I and MOO I it was a unique and outstanding masterpiece. If I just had to name one game for a hall of fame in strategy games, THIS would be the one, Colonization (I) to be a distant third after MOO.

Regards,

Thorsten

At one stage in '94/'95 all three of those games (MoM, Col, MOO) were fresh and new and exciting and we thought games would continue to improve from those standards, but there has been no match for them since. Kind of like watching the Moon landings in the sixties and early seventies and thinking 'Mars is next' and we haven't even been back to the moon again.

Did you have the strategy guide for MoM. The manual was 150 pages packed with tables and information but the guide was a further 450 pages, and large format at that. Plenty of strategy to really get your teeth into.

At one stage in '94/'95 all three of those games (MoM, Col, MOO) were fresh and new and exciting and we thought games would continue to improve from those standards, but there has been no match for them since. Kind of like watching the Moon landings in the sixties and early seventies and thinking 'Mars is next' and we haven't even been back to the moon again.

Yes. And no. In about 2000 I thought gaming was over for me - the decline of the turn based games against the horde of developers rushing for RTS meant the end. It did not happen. There are still the unexpected masterpieces that get you hooked, even in RTS. From (just guess) mostly unknown developing studios without a marketing department full of guys below 30 with no clue what gamers want, of course. To name just a few - Europa Universalis and Spellforce got me, completely. Both as different as can be, but both masterpieces made for gamers, fresh in approach, full of inventions, superbly blended.

Which triggers a short rant:
One of the reasons why the AI has declined (!) since MoM (which AI was really NOT good) is RTS. It is arguably and logically MUCH more easy to program scripts that pose a challenge for the human player in TBS than in RTS. And the second reason is closely connected. Apart from Role Playing game developers noone of the incompetent marketing guys of modern gaming industry has the "old" gamers on its radar. The ones earning good money, like to game but do neither have the fast fingers nor do want the fast pace of action oriented games. They would´nt care too much about graphics, they would care about AI however given their limited possibilities for online multiplayer (professionally tied up, family bound). Thus you could - if you wanted to - easily program games that get them hooked without the multi million dollar investments in the latest in graphics and audio. But they are not served - thumbs down for a marketing driven approach which only appeals to under 25 years old low brainers with fast fingers and too much money from their relatives.

Did you have the strategy guide for MoM. The manual was 150 pages packed with tables and information but the guide was a further 450 pages, and large format at that. Plenty of strategy to really get your teeth into.

Yes. But the manual already would be a worthy entry to a gaming museum - the most complete manual covering a really huge game I ever saw on the market - period.

BUT admitedly the best manual in terms of explaining game mechanics was the one shipped with MOO2 - still nothing better more than 10 years later. Modern game developers rely on the gamers community to explain their games - without the gaming boards some games would often end in the paper basket because the manual fragment delivered as pdf or such would not explain what to do, how and when ...

Thus in the end I agree with your view on a broad sacle - from a gamers point of view the gaming industry HAS declined. Looks like a pattern when craftmanship evolves to an industry.

Regards,

Thorsten

One of the reasons why the AI has declined (!) since MoM (which AI was really NOT good) is RTS.

Not good was undestating. It was horrible AI. Only challenge game added on maximum level (whatever its name was), and only due to insane cheats (Civ3 Sid was small kid to this).

Dont' get me wrong. Both old Civ1/Civ2 and Col1 had bad AIs compared to today TBS games, but MOM one used was the worst.

Also, challenging the AI in two games at once, in which it is not good at (Civ-like style, plus TBS combat) only made things worse.

To name just a few - Europa Universalis and Spellforce got me, completely. Both as different as can be, but both masterpieces made for gamers, fresh in approach, full of inventions, superbly blended.
Thorsten

I haven't come across Spellforce before. What version/expansion of the game do you recommend?

I haven't come across Spellforce before. What version/expansion of the game do you recommend?

Spellforce (1, The Order of Dawn) is a game with 2 expansion packs (Breath of Winter and Shadow of the Phoenix). It should be out all combined at a bargain price. Don´t bother with the successor Spellforce 2 - not a bad game but downscaled in difficulty to match the taste of a broader group.

It´s essentially a blend of RPG and RTS - both if separated on the light side - superbly mixed and with a good story that gets you (well, at least many of its players). The original and the second successor are the better games - you can import an avatar from the original in its successor. The campaigns are the real fun but time consuming - at least about 60 hours for the original, a bit less for the expansion. Breath of Winter plays in the same "scenario" but has been upscaled in difficulty and the story is not as good as in the other two parts.

Gaming advice and strategy guides are out in the wild :).

Regards,

Thorsten

The great concept was simply copied from the old DOS(Win 3.11) version. It was at that time arguably the best strategy game out - and I have played all turn based strategy games on the market at that time (and later).

The reason why especially many old fans of the game seem to be annoyed is simple: The original was an outstanding, superbly blended, unique and polished game. Not only did virtually everything fit - everything was that craftfully mixed that the game felt like being a solid, compact and naturally feeling block.

The re-release does nowhere near acheive that feeling. It leaves the taste of "We remake an old jewel because we need money". The old felt like a game made for players, the new like a game made for profit (only). I de-installed it meanwhile, the old version (despite its flaws) was simply better.

For dedicated strategy gamers there´s only one company left now which at least seems dedicated to its community - Paradox Interactive. The games still play and feel more like a sandbox - but its the only company I know which visibly improves its AI scripts with new versions of a game.

Regards,

Thorsten

Just in case you haven't heard of it:
You might want to give Fall from Heaven 2 a try (Its a total conversion "mod" (some might call it a game in its own right. ;)) for Civ4:Bts).
Here is the link to the thread / download in Creation&Customization subforums:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=171398
Was in "beta" until recently but is now mostly done. (Save for the ever-problematic AI where work has just started yet.
Not anymore in the MoM-states of inept but still fledgling. And Documentation, but that problem was "fixed" by a member of the community. But Kael + Team is working on it. Given their record anything but outstanding results are not to be expected.)

You might actually be proven wrong on your verdict that nothing will ever touch MoM.
Not everyone might agree but quite a community does that it is the new reference (including me despite me being a huge MoM fan back until i discovered FFH.). :)

If you like Fantasy tbs you won't be disappointed rest assured. :)
(If you don't have BtS you might want to grab it precisely for the reason to play FFH2. BtS shouldn't be the 20 Euros Civ4:Col did cost you (more in the range of 5 ~ 10 €) and i am without any doubt it'll be worth more than Civ4:Col will likely ever be. If you have Bts allready, all it'll cost you is some download bandwith and very possibly lots of your time afterwards. :p)

Oh and the team of developers wasn't / isn't in for it for the money and as a player that's very much visible. :)

And there even is a very good community-made Manual in the Project Development Forums for the Mod (which can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190 for the Forums and here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=265888 for the manual). :)

So i have no fear whatsoever even if you come to a different verdict about FFH2 in the end that it will still be a very good hint to give to you.

Otherwise on topic: Mostly agreed. Only that likely sooner or later the modders will salvage it some way or another (I'm sure Dale has allready accomplished that for quite a player. :hatsoff:).

That's the one thing Firaxis did provide here: Good modding tools. Doesn't really save Civ4:Col for everyone.
But that alone doesn't make me fear. One day i'll get my money worth in entertainement from it.
Payed a tad bit more but still far from the worst waste of money for me recently (spore... :vomit:) even with the status quo.
(Having bought it with that premise i wasn't even to much disappointed how it turned out, even though i quickly shelved it "to age a bit". Still a shame given what few additional effort might have made it into a solid title right out of the box without mods.
"Releasing when its done." just delivers the better results imo.
Test center and polish (not least good communications with the customer base) counter to some beliefs are really worth it.
If that's true from a short-term monetary perspective is another matter though.)

Top Bottom