Combination of Test of Time and Vanilla?

Spoiler :
I heard that the wonder videos are supposed to work with Test of Time if you use the original Civilization 2 disk, but all I get is a black box. I have all the codecs installed and I can play the videos off the disk in Windows Media Player, but they don't work in-game. I'm using the 1.1 Patch, the Hostile AI Patch for MGE (that might be an issue), the 64-bit patch, and CPU Throttle.

Nevermind, I solved the first problem.

Out of curiosity, is there any version of Civilization 2 that combines features from both Test of Time and Vanilla? Test of Time has better graphics but feels like it's missing some of the charm of the original, while the original looks a bit out of date but has a distinct feel due to the wonder videos, the high council, the aerial views, and the throne room.

Nevermind, I solved the first problem.
Was the problem that the codecs weren't registered? Years ago I remember some people saying that you could get the wonder movies to work by inserting the classic Civ2 disc or by copying the movies to the Test of Time\Video folder. Neither worked for me.

...the Hostile AI Patch for MGE...
Is that Skyer's AI patch? It works on ToT? Mousep created one specifically for ToT.

Out of curiosity, is there any version of Civilization 2 that combines features from both Test of Time and Vanilla? Test of Time has better graphics but feels like it's missing some of the charm of the original, while the original looks a bit out of date but has a distinct feel due to the wonder videos, the high council, the aerial views, and the throne room.
As far as classic-style graphics go, the closest is likely a combination of this skin and these unit, terrain, city and icon graphics.

Was the problem that the codecs weren't registered? Years ago I remember some people saying that you could get the wonder movies to work by inserting the classic Civ2 disc or by copying the movies to the Test of Time\Video folder. Neither worked for me.
Well, I found the Intel Indeo codecs, but installed then un-installed them because I was experimenting with a .dll that apparently allowed videos needing the Intel Indeo codec to work (http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/266794-Indeo-5-x-problem-with-Vista). The .dll allowed the Test of Time videos to work, but not the regular Civilization 2 ones. Strangely, I could still play the videos using Windows Media Player off the CD. I decided to try MGE again, and got the same problem. At first I thought the problem was that the game was looking for the files in the wrong drive letter, because I had changed them so the music would play. I changed the CDPath in the registry, but they still didn't work. I finally realized that it wasn't just the wonder videos, but the high council ones as well, so I re-installed the codecs.

Is that Skyer's AI patch? It works on ToT? Mousep created one specifically for ToT.
Yes, it is Skyer's AI patch. Thanks, I didn't find that one.

As far as classic-style graphics go, the closest is likely a combination of this skin and these unit, terrain, city and icon graphics.
But besides graphics modding, there isn't any way to combine features from both, right?

I have no problem running the Indeo-encoded videos in the game (eg, via PlayAVIFile events) when I have the codec (ir50_32.dll) installed and registered, but I've never been able to get the wonder videos to play automatically on completion of a wonder.
But besides graphics modding, there isn't any way to combine features from both, right?
I've never heard of anyone getting the High Council, throne room or city view working in ToT.

BTW, if you're not already aware of it, you can toggle between the classic and ToT views for the map and city screens in the View menu.

I have no problem running the Indeo-encoded videos in the game (eg, via PlayAVIFile events) when I have the codec (ir50_32.dll) installed and registered, but I've never been able to get the wonder videos to play automatically on completion of a wonder.
Really? I tested it out, and for me the wonder videos do play automatically if I re-install the codecs and use the Civilization 2 Vanilla disk. I'm using the codecs from here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Ligos-Indeo-Codec.shtml

I've never heard of anyone getting the High Council, throne room or city view working in ToT.

BTW, if you're not already aware of it, you can toggle between the classic and ToT views for the map and city screens in the View menu.
Yes, I know you can, I changed it since the ToT one felt strange, but it looks awkward and bright compared with ToT's otherwise dark interface, and it's still missing the aerial view (though that was a fairly crappy feature anyways).

Are there any graphical mods for MGE or were they only possible after ToT? Also, what did you mean in your version comparison by "Combat animation (icons.gif)" not being present in ToT?

Really? I tested it out, and for me the wonder videos do play automatically if I re-install the codecs and use the Civilization 2 Vanilla disk. I'm using the codecs from here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Ligos-Indeo-Codec.shtml
The codec isn't the problem. I can play those videos in ToT. The game doesn't attempt to play wonder videos probably because it can't locate them. Normally I use a no-CD crack, but even with a clean ToT 1.1 Civ2.exe the videos won't play when the classic disc is in the drive. I suspect it's the drive letter of my DVD-RW. It's Z. The game won't play music unless the CD-ROM is in drive D, so it probably won't play the wonders either. I can't find a registry entry for the CD path.

Yes, I know you can, I changed it since the ToT one felt strange, but it looks awkward and bright compared with ToT's otherwise dark interface, and it's still missing the aerial view (though that was a fairly crappy feature anyways).
It may look less incongruous when used with the classic skin.

Are there any graphical mods for MGE or were they only possible after ToT?
Graphics mods are possible in all versions, but I switched to ToT more than a decade ago so you won't find any from me. Check CFC's old Downloads section.

Also, what did you mean in your version comparison by "Combat animation (icons.gif)" not being present in ToT?
There's an 8-frame animation sequence in icons.gif which is used by versions MGE or less during combat. It appears over the unit taking damage. Because the official units for ToT were animated, this method was scrapped. The game does not default to the old method when custom static units are used, so in many mods and scenarios combat isn't as visible. It was a major issue for some players, so that's why it's in the comparison list.

The codec isn't the problem. I can play those videos in ToT. The game doesn't attempt to play wonder videos probably because it can't locate them. Normally I use a no-CD crack, but even with a clean ToT 1.1 Civ2.exe the videos won't play when the classic disc is in the drive. I suspect it's the drive letter of my DVD-RW. It's Z. The game won't play music unless the CD-ROM is in drive D, so it probably won't play the wonders either. I can't find a registry entry for the CD path.
I ended up solving the music issue by editing the batch file used for CPU throttle so that it disables my D: drive and substitutes my J: drive for it, and then re-enables it after I finish playing when I click OK on the "Ready to roll..." window. It's a horribly awkward method, involving the location of the batch file, the device console from Microsoft, and the hardware ID of the D: drive, as well as creating a shortcut so that it runs in administrator mode, but it works and is faster than changing drive letters in the Control Panel. I attached my CPU Throttle folder in a .zip archive at the bottom of the post if you want to test it out. You will have to edit it, though.

There's an 8-frame animation sequence in icons.gif which is used by versions MGE or less during combat. It appears over the unit taking damage. Because the official units for ToT were animated, this method was scrapped. The game does not default to the old method when custom static units are used, so in many mods and scenarios combat isn't as visible. It was a major issue for some players, so that's why it's in the comparison list.
Oh, I thought it might have been that, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just a question, what happens when a wonder is completed by two civs at the same time? Since in my last game the Celts and I both completed the UN and I got both the video and the AI effects.

Was there ever a way to have more than 7 civs on a map at one time?

I tried starting a multiplayer game without any players, and the game got stuck on "Building world..." Is this normal?

And... did anyone ever come up with a replay tool?

Attachments

• cpu_throttle.zip
    216.8 KB · Views: 228
I attached my CPU Throttle folder in a .zip archive at the bottom of the post if you want to test it out. You will have to edit it, though.
Thanks. I'll test it out later.

Just a question, what happens when a wonder is completed by two civs at the same time? Since in my last game the Celts and I both completed the UN and I got both the video and the AI effects.
An odd bug. It should be impossible for 2 wonders of the same type to co-exist - at least for more than a turn. The reason is that there is a single list of the 28 wonders in the saved game file (and memory) that determines the presence of each wonder in the game. Each entry contains 3 possible states: not built, city ID or destroyed. A wonder can't have more than one city ID.

Was there ever a way to have more than 7 civs on a map at one time?
No. There are many tribe bitmasks that are stored as single bytes. That leaves room for only 8 (7 playable tribes + barbarians). Nothing short of reverse engineering the game will change that.

I tried starting a multiplayer game without any players, and the game got stuck on "Building world..." Is this normal?
I believe it's a side effect of the CPU throttle patches (Timbatron's and Til's).

And... did anyone ever come up with a replay tool?
Not that I'm aware of.

An odd bug. It should be impossible for 2 wonders of the same type to co-exist - at least for more than a turn. The reason is that there is a single list of the 28 wonders in the saved game file (and memory) that determines the presence of each wonder in the game. Each entry contains 3 possible states: not built, city ID or destroyed. A wonder can't have more than one city ID.
Yeah, it ended up giving it to me, even though the Celts apparently built in between my turns. Either that or I misread the notification.

Using the cheat menu, I noticed the AI can have a "Vendetta" treaty, and I also noticed them signing pacts with other AIs against me. Is there a way for the player to do this?

I know you don't play MGE, but is there a list of all the variables you can set using CIV.INI? Also, there isn't a way to get ToT to use CIV.INI, without again reverse engineering, is there?

When you turn cheat mode on, does it affect all your saves for that game? I turned it on to experiment but when I reloaded the game it was on by default.

Using the cheat menu, I noticed the AI can have a "Vendetta" treaty, and I also noticed them signing pacts with other AIs against me. Is there a way for the player to do this?

I don't do a lot of scenario design, but I'm pretty sure that a Vendetta is a one sided "treaty" (like embassy) that makes the one civ really dislike the other. The player doesn't need a vendetta flag, because he can be as belligerent as he likes.

I ended up solving the music issue by editing the batch file used for CPU throttle so that it disables my D: drive and substitutes my J: drive for it, and then re-enables it after I finish playing when I click OK on the "Ready to roll..." window. It's a horribly awkward method, involving the location of the batch file, the device console from Microsoft, and the hardware ID of the D: drive, as well as creating a shortcut so that it runs in administrator mode, but it works and is faster than changing drive letters in the Control Panel. I attached my CPU Throttle folder in a .zip archive at the bottom of the post if you want to test it out. You will have to edit it, though.
Well, my machine didn't like that at all. Ran the script as an administrator. Received a message that the machine would require a restart to disable the device. Black screen followed where I had to hit the reset button to restart. On return, Z drive (the DVD-RW) had disappeared, but D was still the 1 TB hard disk. My Catalyst video drivers and network adapter had also been disabled. I ran the line, "devcon enable *HardwareIDString*" in the command prompt (from the CPU-Throttle directory) to reverse the earlier command and restarted. DVD-RW is back on Z. Video seems OK now. Re-enabled the network adapter. I'm running Win7 64-bit. I'll predict that had it worked correctly, I would've achieved the same result as I did the other day when I performed essentially the same operation under Computer Management → Disk Management. I could get the game music to play, but not the wonder videos. It's not an issue for me as I almost exclusively play scenarios where I use neither wonder videos nor the music. I'm just experimenting.

I think the signing of pacts is an AI thing. The 'vendetta' treaty is produced by a sneak attack against an AI opponent.

I know you don't play MGE, but is there a list of all the variables you can set using CIV.INI? Also, there isn't a way to get ToT to use CIV.INI, without again reverse engineering, is there?
Sorry, don't know. I have classic Civ2, but it's not installed.

When you turn cheat mode on, does it affect all your saves for that game? I turned it on to experiment but when I reloaded the game it was on by default.
If you saved a game with the cheat flag enabled, then naturally the cheat flag will be retained. However, there's a bug where the game sometimes fails to clear the cheat flag from memory (see here). If this is the case, quit the game, delete Civ2.dat (a new one will be created) and relaunch. I've still never had this happen to me using ToT.

Well, my machine didn't like that at all. Ran the script as an administrator. Received a message that the machine would require a restart to disable the device. Black screen followed where I had to hit the reset button to restart. On return, Z drive (the DVD-RW) had disappeared, but D was still the 1 TB hard disk. My Catalyst video drivers and network adapter had also been disabled. I ran the line, "devcon enable *HardwareIDString*" in the command prompt (from the CPU-Throttle directory) to reverse the earlier command and restarted. DVD-RW is back on Z. Video seems OK now. Re-enabled the network adapter. I'm running Win7 64-bit. I'll predict that had it worked correctly, I would've achieved the same result as I did the other day when I performed essentially the same operation under Computer Management → Disk Management. I could get the game music to play, but not the wonder videos. It's not an issue for me as I almost exclusively play scenarios where I use neither wonder videos nor the music. I'm just experimenting.
I had that restart message once as well, apparently it doesn't like disabling when the drive is in use, but considering you could do it through the Disk Management utility it should work. Maybe you could attach your start.bat and the hardware ID of your D: drive.

I think the signing of pacts is an AI thing. The 'vendetta' treaty is produced by a sneak attack against an AI opponent.
That's a shame, I figured it might be like the Trade Embargoes in III or the Denouncements in V.

I did manage to get the wonder videos working in ToT by copying the folder into the main directory, so I don't know why it didn't work for you.

Besides those features I mentioned earlier, how about the animated heralds? Did anyone ever get them working? If not, are there replacements for the leader portraits (maybe the other .dlls as well, to replace the sci-fi stuff? I tried changing the menu pictures to the original ones but they looked awkward since the menu background colour changed. Is that hard-coded?)? Although it was a minor feature, and less memorable than the other ones, talking to a wall is a bit awkward. Where the hell are the settings for Civ 2 stored anyways? In the .exe?

Is there a way to get Test of Time to properly recognize the Civilization 2 Classic disk? It doesn't let me pick music while using it, though it does play it, but the problem with that is that the game doesn't play the appropriate tracks for when a Civ dies.

I still don't get why they decided to remove the High Council for Test of Time, instead of just replacing them with static pictures, since they did provide some advice for the player. The other extras may have been excessive, but did they really take up that much disk space?

Lastly, are there any patches for ToT besides 1.1, the 64-bit fix, the AI attitude fix, and CPU-Throttle?

I had that restart message once as well, apparently it doesn't like disabling when the drive is in use, but considering you could do it through the Disk Management utility it should work. Maybe you could attach your start.bat and the hardware ID of your D: drive.
Hardware ID:
Code:
IDE\DISKST31000524AS____________________________JC45____\4&36887771&0&0.2.0: ST31000524AS

Start.bat:

Code:
cd C:\Games\Test of Time\CPU-Throttle

devcon disable *ST31000524AS*

subst d: z:\

Inject.exe C:\Games\Test of Time\Civ2.exe

subst d: /D

devcon enable *ST31000524AS*

I later discovered that it also disabled my video capture card, FireWire and one USB port the first time around. I decided to try again. This time it didn't ask for a restart, I didn't get a black screen and it worked perfectly. I ran it several more times just to be sure.

Besides those features I mentioned earlier, how about the animated heralds? Did anyone ever get them working? If not, are there replacements for the leader portraits (maybe the other .dlls as well, to replace the sci-fi stuff? I tried changing the menu pictures to the original ones but they looked awkward since the menu background colour changed. Is that hard-coded?)? Although it was a minor feature, and less memorable than the other ones, talking to a wall is a bit awkward.
No for the animated heralds. The GIFs in the DLLs have very limited palettes. AFAIK, no-one figured out how to edit those palettes. There are a few scenarios where the DLLs have been edited (retaining the original palettes), but I don't know of any mods that change the leaders for the Original game.

Where the hell are the settings for Civ 2 stored anyways? In the .exe?
The ones in the Game menu? The Game, Graphic and City Report options are stored in Civ2.dat. Some of these, for example, the City Report options and 'Always wait at end of turn.' are also stored in the SAV file. If you load a saved game, its settings will override the ones from Civ2.dat.

Is there a way to get Test of Time to properly recognize the Civilization 2 Classic disk? It doesn't let me pick music while using it, though it does play it, but the problem with that is that the game doesn't play the appropriate tracks for when a Civ dies.
Not that I know of. Obviously there's some identifier on the ToT disc that's not present on the classic Civ2 disc. If you sorted that out you'd also need to edit the @PICKMUSICTOT section in Game.txt (the one for the game type you're playing, eg, Original, Fantasy), because the track listing for the two versions is different.

I still don't get why they decided to remove the High Council for Test of Time, instead of just replacing them with static pictures, since they did provide some advice for the player. The other extras may have been excessive, but did they really take up that much disk space?
You wouldn't have thought so, but that was the reason given by MicroProse.

Lastly, are there any patches for ToT besides 1.1, the 64-bit fix, the AI attitude fix, and CPU-Throttle?
Notable ones would be Elys' Civilization II Unlimited (download in post #40) and Skyer's 'No Stack Kills' patch, the latter, a subject of a recent discussion in a thread in the Scenario League sub-forum. Skyer released a number of experiments for MGE and ToT. They can be found in the same thread as the previous.

Goodness gracious, I got the Heralds working!
I just copied my MGE Civ2.dat over to ToT. I wonder if that turned on some of the other features as well (Unless they're stored in the saves...)!
If the features are enabled, MGE is pretty much obsolete (only thing still disabled would be the city view)! How often did the High Council meet anyway?
I also wanted to bring some attention over a bug in the spaceship victory text in ToT. It says "Prime Minister" instead of the year the ship arrived.
Lastly, there isn't way to re-enable the spaceship victory video is there? It's a bit anti-climactic without it.

About the music, why exactly is the Game.txt in the main folder different from the one in the "Original" folder in that section? In the one in the main directory, they have separate menus for the different disks; in the one in the Original folder (as well as the scenario ones), they only have the menu for ToT. My theory is that they tried to implement these, but then realized it didn't work since the game apparently just checks for Civ2 folder and the number of tracks to verify the disk (at least that's what I got from this topic: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=203981) and they changed it in the various scenarios so that only the ToT disk can be used. Did they ever give any reason for screwing around with the track listing?

Does the No Stack Kills patch have the attitude fix as well? Though, maybe Skyer's MGE fix worked for ToT as well, I'm not certain.

EDIT: I was testing, seems the throne room and high council are still disabled, but it's nice not talking to a wall any-more.
EDIT2: Nevermind, I just realized that if you play with the Test of Time disk, you get a different spaceship cut-scene, and the different filenames result in that error. So for the game to be "complete" I would need videos/music from both Test of Time and Classic. Eugh. Wished they released a compiled version of the two games so that this topic didn't exist.
EDIT3: Darn, I made a disk image and then edited the tracks of it, but then I realized the Midgard scenario calls for the Tolkien track when loading.
EDIT4: My god, the bastards, they did remove the function for the game to play older disks! Opening up the MGE Civ2.exe in Notepad, and then opening up the ToT Civ2.exe, the MGE one has three commands for each of the three disks, while the ToT one only has PICKMUSICTOT, even though the Game.txt has entries for all three! Darned Microprose and their irrational decisions. How would one go about hex-editing the .exe like Skyer did?
EDIT5: What's the treasure chest graphic used for in ToT besides the budget? There's a smaller and a large version of them inside Tiles.dll.

Catfish, I figured out why you can't play wonder movies! If you load a scenario that turns them off, they seem to be turned for all games. I experienced this by accident when I was loading the different scenarios then went back to play the original game and realized that that is probably what happened.

Attachments

• Herald.jpg
    Herald.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 582
  • Test of Time Bug.jpg
    Test of Time Bug.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 988
Gee, that's a lot of questions. I'm not going to be of much help on a number of those; many lie outside my area of interest (ToT scenario design).

Goodness gracious, I got the Heralds working!
I just copied my MGE Civ2.dat over to ToT. I wonder if that turned on some of the other features as well (Unless they're stored in the saves...)!
That's interesting, but for the sake of stability, I'll probably stick with the ToT version.

If the features are enabled, MGE is pretty much obsolete (only thing still disabled would be the city view)!
From the scenario design perspective, that's been the case since ToT was released. It took some Civ2 designers half a decade to figure that out.

How often did the High Council meet anyway?
Can't give you an answer to that, I haven't played classic Civ2 since last century.

About the music, why exactly is the Game.txt in the main folder different from the one in the "Original" folder in that section?
Your guess is as good as mine. There are a number of what appear to be developmental files in the main ToT folder.

Does the No Stack Kills patch have the attitude fix as well? Though, maybe Skyer's MGE fix worked for ToT as well, I'm not certain.
I suspect not. Occasionally Skyer posted the offsets for his patches, so it may be possible to combine them by hex editing the EXE - if you dig around a bit. IIRC, there are a couple more Skyer threads. He posted under about four different accounts.

EDIT: I was testing, seems the throne room and high council are still disabled, but it's nice not talking to a wall any-more.
I don't even have that much. I always play with the diplomacy screen switched off; it's better for scenarios.

How would one go about hex-editing the .exe like Skyer did?
Not really my area, but you'd be using a hex editor (Frhed is a free one) instead of Notepad. You'd probably also need some kind of memory hacker and a knowledge of assembly programming.

EDIT5: What's the treasure chest graphic used for in ToT besides the budget? There's a smaller and a large version of them inside Tiles.dll.
I might've known once, but I certainly don't now.

Catfish, I figured out why you can't play wonder movies! If you load a scenario that turns them off, they seem to be turned for all games. I experienced this by accident when I was loading the different scenarios then went back to play the original game and realized that that is probably what happened.
I think you're on to something, but I can't reproduce it. However, when I delete Civ2.dat, the game will play wonder videos from the Test of Time\Videos folder. Well, it attempts to play wonders. I'd assumed that the classic videos were the same as the ToT ones, but they're not. The ToT videos are encoded with Indeo 5.0; the classic videos, Indeo 4.1. I had 4.1 installed in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder, but it wasn't registered. Until the codec was registered, I was presented with a black box.

I managed to get the wonder videos working, they play at the correct time and with music, by replacing the CIV2.dat file in TOT with the .dat file from the original Civ2. I haven't encountered any problems apart from there being a black box where the kings should stand in the diplomacy menu, which I wouldn't mind a suggest for how to fix.
Before doing this I was messing around with some of the folders so that my TOT folder now contains the: KINGS, PEDIA and VIDEO folders as well as the Vfwfix file from the Civ2 CD. I'm not sure if this did anything to help but it is my setup.
Furthermore, I have installed the Test of Time patch project in case that effects the videos. I have the Test of Time CD mapped to the D: drive and the Civ2 CD is mapped to the I: drive. I had this the other way round intially which resulted in the black screen problem with videos. In game the music all works and I am able to select which track I want.
I also believe that the end game videos work for TOT using this method as I tested the transcendence video through the cheats. However, I can't confirm all of them, or the wonder videos work.

Hope this help any people who are still trying to blow this dust of this archaic system.

Top Bottom