Combining mods for one main mod?

Fallen Monk

Chieftain
quick question here, is there a way i can combine multiple mods into one main mod? if so please give a little detail on how to do so thanks!:confused:

XML :
All files *.xml in Assets\XML can be edited and modified. Check the mods you want to merge. If they have some specific xml named files (MyModUnits.xml for exemple), put all the files in the right folder. If not, edit the files and copy/paste the contents you want to merge.
With first method, be carefull not to have several times the same Unit/building/etc defined in several xml files.

Python :
You'll have to use the Assets\Python\CvCustomEventManager.py to call several python EventManagers. You can have several sub-folders in the Assets\Python\ folder : very usefull to remember what is what.

SDK :
You'll have to look every files and merge those that are used in several of the mods you want to merge.

WinMerge or some file compare program is the only way to go....manually comparing files takes about 100X longer :)

Other than that...tons of info exists on CivFanatics to guide you.

what do you mean to 'winmerge'? i have tried to put the xml with the xml file folders ad when i goto load the mod into the game i play it, and it is not there. i have also tried to add leaders and empires through the same way, file with appropriate file to the right folder, but apparently im doing something wrong here because it is not working. so this is why i ant to just find out how to make my own mod for my own use and development.

WinMerge is needed when you can't just copy in new files....you have to merge two or more mods that have one or more of the same files they each mod. It is far easier than manual copy/paste within XML.

Well you should be starting with a working mod and then adding to it....so that will setup the directories and INI file so the mod will show in the Civ Game Menu.

coo. but how do you i start to actually add on into it? i just have many mods but cant figure out how to succesfully literally add on to the one mod. i have tried and im out of ideas how to do it right, how to start?

Copy one mod into the original....if a file exists in both mods, then use WinMerge to add the parts from one into the original. This works for XML and to some extent Python, but not the DLL as you need the source code combined and that often takes more than just WinMerge.

My new Modular loading mod can largly eliminate the need to merge xml files by hand, but untill a good library of content is developed its not going to save you much time as creating a modual is about the same amount of work as doing it the old way, rather everyone else AFTER you who uses it saves time if you provide a modual.

Top Bottom