compared to civ3

shawntown

Chieftain
well, i posted this question over in the patch thread but realized thats not the place for this discussion...so new thread it is:

from a civ 3 perspective (since i never played civ 4) what do you vets of 3 like about civrev? what features would you characterize as improvements in this console version of the game? (and as an aside, how bloody wierd is it to play with a button controller rather than mouse and keyboard?!)

Played Civ3 and also civ3PTW for quite some time, but it's long ago so don't shoot me if I remember wrongly.

1) It's faster, no workers, fewer buildings
2) It's easier, but still varied. Easier as in fewer units, buildings, no maintenence/corruption, no unhappiness, etc.
3) Era bonuses, not just one bonus for each civilization, but multiple bonuses which kick in the different eras.
4) Game of the week, Firaxis made map/puzzle each week. Somewhat like GOTM here at this site, but with fewer win options.

On the bad side:
bad AI
less options
somewhat easy even at higher difficulties.
multiplayer doesn't work to well yet (PS3)

As for controlling with a gamepad that goes very well, hardly miss the keyboard and mouse at all.

Just loaded Civ3 again on my PC for a look at it. I can't believe how primative the graphics look now. When I first played Civ3, I thought the graphics were fantastic. CivRev has raised the graphics standard very high.

I was surprised at how quickly the people rioted. I had burning cities everywhere. I had to raise the luxuary rate & give the cities entertainers. Ha! I don't miss that.

And those workers were labour intensive! Road building, mining and clearing forests square by square. It is just tedious.

But I do like the choices at the start of the game. I enjoy choosing land masses & the number of civilisations to play against.

Despite all this, I would rather play on my PS3 than wait for my PC to boot. I need a new mouse too. It's CivRev for me.

Top Bottom