C7 Progress and Announcement Thread

WildWeazel

Carthago Creanda Est
maxresdefault.jpg
My fellow CivFanatics,
It has been exactly one year today since I revealed our intention to make our own Civ. Coincidentally, Civ3 is now old enough to drink! :beer:

For those just joining us, C7 is a WIP open source 4X game, built with the Godot Engine by Civ fans, with the goal of allowing full reuse of Civ3 mod content in an all new engine with more advanced features, mods, graphics, and system support.

Last year several of us announced that after much research and discussion, we felt that this was a viable pursuit. Since then we have made substantial progress with 5 pre-alpha releases thanks to 10 code constributors. Our most recent release is Carthage: Preview 3 with another coming very soon.

We all start somewhere, right?
You can find out much more about C7 or get involved yourself in our project sub-(sub-sub...sub-?)forum, Civ3 Future Development. Or go directly to the release page for the latest downloads.

This thread will be a place for announcements such as new releases, and to introduce C&C newcomers to our work.

Last edited:
As @WildWeazel said, another was coming very soon. Thus:

Carthage Preview 4 is now available!

This adds five bug fixes (including catching those zombies that were traipsing around for Halloween), and also teaches the AI to try to take out barbarian camps near their cities.

That pic should say ‘turn’, but OK.

/subscription post

Well then, simply shocking! I'm looking forward to seeing this continue to progress!

Will it have the ability to have more than the usual max players (or did I miss that part)?

My apologies for hijacking the thread for an off topic question (regular civ3), but if I have barbarians attacking a settlement with no_raze enabled, will they destroy a level one settlement, or just pillage it? (I have pre placed settlements which i do not want destroyed, however I'd like for the barbarians to have some sophisticated attack units, who can really challenge the player/AI civilizations. . . ideally I want one area to essentially remain level one settlements because of the perpetual barbarian attacks, which will foce actual armies to be sent to that area to clean things up)?

Hi folks, just a quick bit of news. Godot 4.0 is now available, which is the biggest release for them and a major upgrade for us. This new version of the game engine provides full support for the modern .NET 6 and C# 10, giving us developers more power than ever. It also overhauls the whole engine, which gives us more features to work with but also some breaking changes. Since even before the release pcen on Github has been hard at work fixing the graphics and other issues for our upcoming migration to Godot 4.

So, we're trying to squeeze out the final "Carthage" while also laying the groundwork for the next big phase of development. As always, new contributors are always welcome. If you're not a developer, hang tight. Our next milestone may require a lot of text and artwork...

Hi folks, just a quick bit of news. Godot 4.0 is now available, which is the biggest release for them and a major upgrade for us. This new version of the game engine provides full support for the modern .NET 6 and C# 10, giving us developers more power than ever. It also overhauls the whole engine, which gives us more features to work with but also some breaking changes. Since even before the release pcen on Github has been hard at work fixing the graphics and other issues for our upcoming migration to Godot 4.

So, we're trying to squeeze out the final "Carthage" while also laying the groundwork for the next big phase of development. As always, new contributors are always welcome. If you're not a developer, hang tight. Our next milestone may require a lot of text and artwork...
Interested to see where this goes, thanks for the update!

So this is basically enhancements to civ 3 which this forum always wanted to make if it would've released the source code?

I'm very excited regardless, can't wait to see where this is headed!

Hi folks! Just a quick dev diary update courtesy of one of our external developers, pcen. He's been working diligently for months to port C7 over to Godot 4, the latest major release that overhauled a lot of systems.

pcen said:
I’ve been working on upgrading the version of Godot C7 uses. Godot is the game engine that C7 uses to render graphics, play audio, and handle keyboard and mouse input. We’re upgrading from Godot version 3.6 to 4, which is a major version upgrade meaning that large parts of the C7 code written to use Godot 3.6 features are broken and need to be manually changed to work with the new version. Upgrading to Godot 4 makes lots of new engine-level features available to C7. Some of these new features will make it easier for developers and artists to contribute to C7 and some will improve the performance of C7. By upgrading to Godot 4, we also ensure that C7 will benefit from the active development going into improving Godot 4. The upgrade to Godot 4 has mainly consisted of identifying C7 code using Godot 3.6 features that either changed or are no longer present in Godot 4, and fixing these parts of the code. Overall it’s a big change: so far 4000 lines of C7 have been modified in the upgrade process, and is finally nearing completion. The goal for the upgrade to Godot 4 is to achieve parity with the current version of C7, so once it’s ready, players testing out the Godot 4 version of C7 should notice no significant differences in gameplay.

And here are some screenshots showing the evolution of pcen's progress with Godot 4:

1694375731177.png

An early test showing some of the rendering issues seen with Godot 4.

1694375747305.png

Much better!

1694375909038.png

Rendering resource and terrain overlay graphics

1694375762267.png

Loading a real GOTM save in C7!

1694375789243.png

Zoom levels and horizontal wrapping work seamlessly

Even though it's mostly invisible to the player, using Godot 4 will be a big part of our next milestone after Carthage. This will allow us to work with Godot's latest features and more easily keep up with new releases of the engine going forward. A big thanks to pcen for all the hard work over the summer! His Godot expertise will be invaluable to the project. As always, if you have any developer skills and would like to contribute to C7, please let us know!

Are you going to have issues with using things like the icons straight out of civ3? Talking about horses and other resource icons. By issues I mean copy rights.

Top Bottom