Comparing Age of Empire 3 to Civ 4?

AoE... I haven't played an AoE game since the first, but... Is the series still real time strategy? If so, your first hurdle is genre. Civilization is a turn based series, Age of Empires is real time. Civ is going to lend itself much more to slow paced planning, obsessively grooming every little element of your civilization. Someone else who has actually played AoE beyond the first installment can probably tell you more about direct comparison though.

You can't compare AOE to Civ because they are both different genres.

I've also owned every AOE game, So I'm speaking from experience.

As an old guy, RTS (Real Time Strategy) games are much too fast.

I prefer turn based games like Civ and Colonization.

I've played AoE 3 but prefer civ 4 because you have time to plan but it depends if you like a qucik game or not.

That's probably about as far as similarities go. Real time strategies play very, very differently than turn-based. It is not uncommon for people to like one genre and not the other, me included.

None at all. You are automatically at war with every single computer player.

AoE3 sucks Civ4 doesn't :)

AoE1 and 2 Were awesome though! But completely different games. AoE3 is an RTS without much real strategy behind it. Civ4 is obviously a Much larger Turn based very strategy oriented game.

The AI cheats in AoE using superhuman micro avoid arrows and cannonballs, Civ4 AI doesn't cheat.

The AI cheats in AoE using superhuman micro avoid arrows and cannonballs

that a fact? I've played some AOE III and haven't noticed anything like that
if you're talkinga bout AOE II, I think there was a tech that let your arrows fly to where the target is going to be, even if they change direction
they could still dodge catapult fire making those useless

The AI cheats in AoE using superhuman micro avoid arrows and cannonballs, Civ4 AI doesn't cheat.
what???
:dubious:

AoE AI totally sucks. Even on the highest difficulty, where they get like 5000% bonus on everything, you can beat the AI with your eyes closed and your hands bounded. You can kill the whole AI army with 3 units, because the AI never heared about micro.

And the concept that the Civ AI doesn't cheat is also totally new to me.

I used to play AoE3 in the past, but gave up when I got civ :D.
But you just can't compare the two games. Civ is TBS, while AoE is RTS, two absolutelly different game genres.

AOE is also a very simple and easy game...Ive played all of the games and i used to enjoy them before i started playing civ...i even played AOE3 War Chiefs...and it wasnt that interesting...the bad thing of it is that no matter what u can pull of a win...thers no strategy to it....u just put down a stable and get horseman or an archery range and get archers or in aeo3 get ur little dragoons and wat not but its pretty much the same thing...u can kill anything if u just have a few of each unit so u have a balanced army unlike civ where its about strategy and one army wont kill all ur opponents...its too simple and boring...

Huh? How does the civ AI not cheat? It gets heaploads of starting bonuses, gets an extra starting setter at deity (similar to the AI getting extra resources in AoE series at the start of the game).

On Noble level, it doesn't cheat. ;)

Age of empires is a completley different kind of game than Civilization. In AOE 2 it was possible to build a wonder and win that way.

To me this is like comparing it to Starcraft. It's just different.

Age of empires is a completley different kind of game than Civilization. In AOE 2 it was possible to build a wonder and win that way.

To me this is like comparing it to Starcraft. It's just different.

Exactly. Both are very different--I used to be a HUGE fan of AoE II but it got old and soon I switched to Civ4.

Actually, you can win by building a wonder, which was one of my favorite victory paths :lol:, but you've got to tech through a lot and survive your way. Plus, everyone knows when you begin it so in multiplayer don't even try it (hey isn't that similar to civ when everyone hears "player x has achieved legendary culture in 1 city...").

I will say this: Civ4 is a lot better in terms of thinking and strategy and difficulty--however AoE II (the only game I played in those series) has the benefit of a really easy to use map editor.

Top Bottom