Computer Optimization

civ_king

Deus Caritas Est
What are your tips on computer optimization?

Computer to optimize:
Vaio Laptop
T2400@1.83GHz
1GB RAM

Is it possible to make AND playable with only software optimizations?

I don't think there's much you can do, apart from ending unnecessary processes to free up some RAM use... Just stick to smaller map sizes (does the map script used affect the save sizes significantly btw?) until you get a HW upgrade?

Someone linked a supposed "game optimization" freeware program thingy a while back (it was on these very forums). I haven't yet tried it, but if its claims are accurate it may be able to help you: http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

I'd recommend you getting at least another gig of RAM, which is perfectly doable on a laptop, then you will be able to at least play standard size maps.

Okay, I got it up too 4 GB RAM, but when we try to boot up AND it says it doesn't meet system specs

Is it better to have a 3.2GHz core as a single or hyperthread it,

My desktop I just upgraded it to 4GB from 2GB RAM will this significantly boost speeds?

Civ IV is not multi-threaded, so it is better to have the most powerful single-core as possible, rather than a lesser dual-cores. 4 Gb RAM should definitely improve speed, your ability to avoid MAFs for much longer and your ability to load 2+ Mb saves.

Gamebooster doesn't help much, if you keep (as I am) your PC in good condition.

In my opinion 4GB of RAM and proper graphic card is a must. To increase the performance I turn all the movies and animations (as for example battle effects) off, use single unit graphics and lower main graphic settings to medium. Playing on giant map, it is useful however to have a good book with you anyway ;)

I also play with Quick Attack on Huge or bigger maps. It cuts out the battle animations and jumps straight to the result. Minimising the scoreboard can also help when you have upwards of 30 civilisations!

Top Bottom