Computer Upgrade

CruddyLeper said:
Just not true. An average CPU and a good graphics card outperforms a good CPU and an average graphics card.

For 3D games anyway.

A 2.2 GHz P4 is not an "average" processor when comparing with new video cards and systems, it's slow.

Granted, an X800XL will allow more graphical niceness (AA/AF) over a 6600 GT when paired up with a 2.2 GHz P4, but with most games with low levels of AA/AF, the processor will be the bottleneck in this situation.

Zelig said:
A 2.2 GHz P4 is not an "average" processor when comparing with new video cards and systems, it's slow.

It's not as fast as new systems but it is faster than an old system.

Sounds pretty average to me.

Granted, an X800XL will allow more graphical niceness (AA/AF) over a 6600 GT when paired up with a 2.2 GHz P4, but with most games with low levels of AA/AF, the processor will be the bottleneck in this situation.

Would you mind putting the goalposts back where they were please?

*urge to destroy universe rising considerable*

I think my dad meant a PCI-E motherboard not a pci, as I already have pci and why would I upgrade to it?'

Mostly what I really wna is to be able to play my current games over there BETTER AND FASTER not nesecaraly buying anything new. And I don't have any money anyways.

EDIT: Just thought I'd look over your posts Speedo, to see if I could improve any... Good work! Technically a bit off about SATA2 being fastest HD spec, but hey, for most people, it is anyway. Rest of it is spot on. :b

Well, I do always forget that it should technically be SATA 3.0Gb/s, since there's so much confusion about what "SATAII" actually is. And besides, how many people are going to be looking for 15k RPM SCSI drives? :p

Though honestly, I'd be willing to bet that a pair of SATA 3Gb/s drives with 16MB cache and NCQ, striped with a decent RAID card could give SCSI some serious competition.

It's not as fast as new systems but it is faster than an old system.

Sounds pretty average to me.

Personally I don't think I'd pair a P4 2.2Ghz or Athlon 2200 with anything much more than a 6600GT. No doubt those still make excellent PCs for probably 90% of the world, but when you're talking about higher end graphics (like better than a 6800GT/X800) the CPU will end up being the bottleneck, so you aren't getting anywhere near your money's worth out of that expensive gfx card.

Good point about the PSU though. Dell and other OEMs tend not to leave much overheard room for upgrades.

Speedo said:
Well, I do always forget that it should technically be SATA 3.0Gb/s, since there's so much confusion about what "SATAII" actually is. And besides, how many people are going to be looking for 15k RPM SCSI drives? :p

Man, you gotta be kidding. Try seeing how many U320 15K SCSI drives on Ebay. VERY few. Competition is steep. Because if you've setout to get the best, only the best will do.

Speedo said:
Though honestly, I'd be willing to bet that a pair of SATA 3Gb/s drives with 16MB cache and NCQ, striped with a decent RAID card could give SCSI some serious competition.

Only from an economy point of view. SCSI Raid (of a given era) Always Whoops [any other] Raid (of a given era) from a speed point of view. That's why they're SOOOO expensive. Make Raptors look cheap.

Speedo said:
Personally I don't think I'd pair a P4 2.2Ghz or Athlon 2200 with anything much more than a 6600GT. No doubt those still make excellent PCs for probably 90% of the world, but when you're talking about higher end graphics (like better than a 6800GT/X800) the CPU will end up being the bottleneck, so you aren't getting anywhere near your money's worth out of that expensive gfx card.

Well... given that the CPU and RAM have to match (using slow RAM isn't an option if you want a faster CPU to BE faster), then yes.

You hear that Zelig?

Speedo said:
Good point about the PSU though. Dell and other OEMs tend not to leave much overheard room for upgrades.

Yeah, I mean if the guy just gets a PCI FX5700 graphics card that will work, let them play games (not fast, but they'll play) and the Power Supply Unit they have now will be OK.

If he somehow gets hold of a Xfire mobo and twin ATI turbo nutter graphics cards, it will go "pop" about half a second after being turned on..

Man, you gotta be kidding. Try seeing how many U320 15K SCSI drives on Ebay. VERY few. Competition is steep. Because if you've setout to get the best, only the best will do.

Let me rephrase: How many people are going to want them, mustless need them? ;)

Only from an economy point of view. SCSI Raid (of a given era) Always Whoops [any other] Raid (of a given era) from a speed point of view. That's why they're SOOOO expensive. Make Raptors look cheap.

No doubt that SCSI is untouchable for seek times and situations with massive amounts of I/O, but I was speaking more to the actual transfer rates that you'd see.

Well... if you've ever tried them, you love 'em

CruddyLeper hugs Fujis + controller

As for transfer rates... if it starts earlier and transfers faster, of course it outperforms it.

Comes at a premium price though... you get what you pay for. ;)

Top Bottom