Computer's units too powerful?

mittrekkie

Chieftain
I've been playing the DS version of CivRev in single-player mode at the "King" difficulty level, and something seems amiss. Often, it seems as if the computer's units are about three times as powerful as they should be. For example, when I defend with a phalanx army (defense = 9), enemy units such as legions (attack = 2) and knights (attack = 4) seem to have no difficulty broaching my defenses.

I loaded one of my games to give some specifics. For some reason, some enemy archer units are listed as having a basic defense of 6 (9 after modifiers), instead of 2. I assume that the units are not armies, since the info screen labels them as "archers" and not "archers army".

To give a sample of some combat results, I kept skipping my turn to allow the computer to attack my city defenses, many of which are fortified:

Legend:
Enemy Unit vs. My Unit: -Number Enemy Lost vs. -Number I Lost

Results:
Knights vs. Riflemen: -2 vs. -0
Catapult vs. Riflemen: -1 vs. -0
Catapult vs. Riflemen: -0 vs. -1
Cruisers vs. Cruisers: -0 vs. -1
Catapult vs. Riflemen: -0 vs. -2
Knights vs. Riflemen: -0 vs. -3
Catapult vs. Riflemen: -0 vs. -3
Knights vs. Riflemen: -2 vs. -2
Archers vs. Legion Army: -2 vs. -0

The results seem oddly lopsided. Does anyone know what's wrong?

One problem is there's a bug in the labeling in the DS version. Sometimes the game will drop the "Army" part of the defenders' label.

That's good to know; it explains why the archers had a defense of 6. Does the bug ever occur with the attacking unit's label? In all of the sample battles I listed, the enemy's unit was not listed as being an army.

Yes, it happens sometimes with attackers, too, but it's easier to see if an attacker is an army because the health bars have more segments.

i have never seen the term army used with regard to ai units on the ds

i usually check health bars when determining if its a single unit or army (if its not in a city obviously) but yes the numbers are usually a dead giveaway as well

Top Bottom