Concerning unit upgrading, a feature?

snepp

King
What controls the availability of unit upgrades? It seems strange that you can't upgrade certain units within a city, but if you move them a couple of tiles outside the city the upgrades may then be available. I realize that some units require a barracks in order to build, does a barracks also dictate if you're allowed to upgrade a unit in the surrounding tiles as well as the city itself?

I'm assuming this is a feature of the "upgrade anywhere" portion of the mod, but it caught me off guard when I couldn't upgrade a unit in one tile, but was able to upgrade by moving one tile over.

(first game in 0.9.9 after a couple of dozen 0.9.8, the mod is absolutely fantastic btw)

If a unit requires a building to train, then the unit must either be in a city with the building, or in a tile controlled by a city with that building (the BFC of the city). Being able to upgrade in the city's big fat cross was actually a surprise to me, as that actually must be in the base BtS code, despite the fact the required building is completely new code, Firaxis themselves must have coded building effecting surround tiles themselves; when I first implemented the code I thought I'd have to write that myself as well, but it was already in effect.

Thanks for the quick answer, that confirms what I've been seeing.

My biggest problem was that I didn't realize macemen (errr, footman) required a forge and not a barracks, which really confused me while I was trying to figure out why some axe/sword would upgrade in one area and not another when both of the nearby cities had a barracks (but only one contained a forge).

I like the additional requirements thus far, just need to remember them for the future.

Top Bottom