Continent Flavors

I noticed only the differing mountains, but I never realized it was tied to continents. (Which doesn't make too much sense anyway, how a mountain range looks depends on its age and altitude, not the continent it happens to be on.)

I do agree a bit on the mountains. They should be varied according to biome, not "continent" per se. However I really liked how for example the African continent type color theme actually felt a bit like Africa with a sort of reddish hue to grasslands and plains and desert hills being large sand dunes.

But how would the game determine which continent is Africa? Does the placement of civs play a role?

But how would the game determine which continent is Africa? Does the placement of civs play a role?

The names are completely random, so no. In fact, most of the names of continents have either never existed, have yet to exist, or don't exist any more. So there's no way to tie them to civs :p

i have 1500 hours on CiV and never realized this was a thing.... I wont miss it in CiVI ^^

It's a bit surprising they added no little polish like this to continents as part of the NFP considering the nice new green mountains they made for the Pirates scenario. It would have been nice to see those in regular gameplay.
I'm more surprised it didn't come with the art pass and the new continent system in Gathering Storm.

Alright, to throw out some more ideas:
  • Different vegetation groups: why are all trees either evergreens or deciduous trees? Make certain trees region-specific, and give me aquatic plants like reeds and willows next to rivers. Also, could the illusion of a season system be implemented? Amber autumn leaves and striking cherry blossoms would be a welcome reward for conservationist players :mischief:
  • Better looking lakes: Lakes need something beyond "coastal water inside a continent." They're kind of boring as they stand in Civ Vi
  • Weather: So, we have natural disasters like floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and blizzards. We have wetness and temperature settings. And we have floodplains, deserts, oasis, and rivers. So what's left? We tie them altogether with a weather system! Rainfall (varying from drizzles to downpour as a game setting), snow (equally variable), and winds (which should probably affect boats in some way... along with the formation of natural disasters!) would all be welcome mechanical and visual additions to the game world. And you know, all these weather affects would be great alongside...
  • Dynamic terrain: Why must deserts stay deserts forever? Why can't terrains change types depending on the weather? Why can't the flow of water erode away hills or create deltas over time? What if heavy rainfall caused floods, which transformed low terrain into floodplains? Honestly, there's plenty of other ideas, but even a barebones dymanic terrain system would be welcome.

Weather: So, we have natural disasters like floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and blizzards. We have wetness and temperature settings. And we have floodplains, deserts, oasis, and rivers. So what's left? We tie them altogether with a weather system! Rainfall (varying from drizzles to downpour as a game setting), snow (equally variable), and winds (which should probably affect boats in some way... along with the formation of natural disasters!) would all be welcome mechanical and visual additions to the game world. And you know, all these weather affects would be great alongside...
With the caveat that simulating weather and climate requires a network of supercomputers (so unless the target audience is NASA...), I wouldn't mind aesthetic weather, but gameplay-affecting weather doesn't really make sense on Civ's scale. Even the natural disasters only make sense if thought of as "century-defining events" (and even then some are sketchy--I'm looking at you, tornadoes). However, I think prevailing winds, ocean currents, and the like would be a great addition to the game.

I'm coming up to 5,000 hours on CivVi and continents are still in exactly the same place.
Wake up devs!

I would like to revitalize this thread so as to ask: If I wanted to essentially remove this feature, how would I do so? That is, I enjoy my games far more when its visually appealing, which only the Europe texture set is. I've already tried copying over and renaming all the files in the steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/terrain/pieces folder, but had no luck with that. If anyone could PLEASE help me with this, it's kept me off this game since 2016 when in reality I think I like it more than Civ VI aside from this one tiny issue.

I would like to revitalize this thread so as to ask: If I wanted to essentially remove this feature, how would I do so? That is, I enjoy my games far more when its visually appealing, which only the Europe texture set is. I've already tried copying over and renaming all the files in the steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/terrain/pieces folder, but had no luck with that. If anyone could PLEASE help me with this, it's kept me off this game since 2016 when in reality I think I like it more than Civ VI aside from this one tiny issue.

I think you're in the wrong subforum. This thread is about Civ VI.

With the caveat that simulating weather and climate requires a network of supercomputers (so unless the target audience is NASA...), I wouldn't mind aesthetic weather, but gameplay-affecting weather doesn't really make sense on Civ's scale. Even the natural disasters only make sense if thought of as "century-defining events" (and even then some are sketchy--I'm looking at you, tornadoes). However, I think prevailing winds, ocean currents, and the like would be a great addition to the game.

The way disasters work is so dumb and broken. The “circular forest fires infinite yields” is pretty hilarious

As well as the way droughts and floods always seem to hammer the same one or two cursed cities

Top Bottom