Contrast Photojournal, Everyone Welcome, again

Sure sounds good.

I played your patch a bit and the current beta seems fairly similar to it now. You can't really do any early wonders as they are big gamble, which changes opening a lot.

I can often get a few, that's playing with ruins on though. But yea they are all risky, even Stonehenge and Pyramids.

I'd suggest we play Babylon because I think there are many different approaches with them.

I can often get a few, that's playing with ruins on though. But yea they are all risky, even Stonehenge and Pyramids.

I'd suggest we play Babylon because I think there are many different approaches with them.
How do you find ruins affect the game? I've been playing without them for a while because I dislike how much 150 gold on turn 2 can affect the game.

Also on regular VP, occasionally with ancient ruins an AI will enter the classical era on like turn 30. Does that happen in your difficulty mod?

Ruins have the bad side effect in a comparison game especially of swinging the comparison a lot. Warrior+Pathfinder tribute action is both much weaker and much less swingy. Then again Milae Deity with no ruins on this patch sounds like it could just be super impossible, idk. Babs is strong but without fraud gold it won't quite be the power we're used to it being.

How do you find ruins affect the game? I've been playing without them for a while because I dislike how much 150 gold on turn 2 can affect the game.

Also on regular VP, occasionally with ancient ruins an AI will enter the classical era on like turn 30. Does that happen in your difficulty mod?

I can't really say because I always have them on lol, I like the fact that the early game is more dynamic but I agree it's not good for a contrast game.

I'm pretty sure it makes the game easier since you will generally get more ruins than AIs. But it makes your early tributing strategy less of a thing since it's generally more worth to just explore as much as possible. Also makes fishing a very powerful tech to go for early since you can get the island ruins first.

I don't think that would ever happen on my mod except for a lucky Russia. AI Science bonus at the start is 21% cost reduction + 7 Flat every 10 turns. I think they are ahead before first settle, and then behind normal VP on tech until late Medieval. But it does depend more on the civ/policy tree.

I turned ruins off mostly because I wanted the chance of early wonders. With them on anything early can just explode in your face. I don't really want to play in a way where you try for pyramids and miss it. Because that game just seems impossible (and if it isn't you could have done anything and won). I think ruins probably do make the game slightly easier ofr a human overall, but being able to get pyramids/stonehenge leads to more interesting games.

While it sounds like these changes in the newest beta make it quite a bit harder, I don't think it is ever really impossible. And the hardest difficulty should be very very hard. Or at least that it being that hard is not an issue.

Babylon seems good, reasonable powerful

I turned ruins off mostly because I wanted the chance of early wonders. With them on anything early can just explode in your face. I don't really want to play in a way where you try for pyramids and miss it. Because that game just seems impossible (and if it isn't you could have done anything and won). I think ruins probably do make the game slightly easier ofr a human overall, but being able to get pyramids/stonehenge leads to more interesting games.

While it sounds like these changes in the newest beta make it quite a bit harder, I don't think it is ever really impossible. And the hardest difficulty should be very very hard. Or at least that it being that hard is not an issue.
I agree that the hardest difficulty should be very very hard, but I disagree on the use of exploits (defined as some simple actions that the AI simply can't do) being necessary to win.

Yea sure, any mapscript preference?
I'd be happy with any map that isn't too unusual. So continents/oval/pangea.

Random other thought but Stii and I have done a comparison Babylon game before which was really influenced by the wine monopoly, so I'd prefer if it wasn't a +2 faith monopoly for the starting position.

Last edited:
I agree that the hardest difficulty should be very very hard, but I disagree on the use of exploits (defined as some simple actions that the AI simply can't do) being necessary to win.

I agree that the mod should close up exploits and that selling stuff for gold was an exploits but there are so many things the AI can't do that a human can.

Like moving your capital onto a lux is pretty simple but not something the AI ever does.

I agree that the mod should close up exploits and that selling stuff for gold was an exploits but there are so many things the AI can't do that a human can.

Like moving your capital onto a lux is pretty simple but not something the AI ever does.
Do you benefit from that much if the AI isn't paying much for it?

Netherlands AI should be taught to always do that though.

I rolled up a save, had to even reload once because it was Incense monopoly. Difficulty Deity, Tech trading off, ruins off, Milae mod on. The mapscript is a slightly altered Oval of my own creation, with the main refinements being guaranteed sea passage to the north and south as well as a pair of smaller Terra-like Ovals added in the East-West sea, one slightly north, one slightly south, both about 10 cities big. The Terra Ovals will often hold a Natural Wonder or two as well as between 3-5 total City States, giving a nice benefit to discovering Compass and doing a little Renaissance exploring but very dubious actual settling utility (the AI will settle them though.)

All civs are on the main continent, which is about as big as a standard Oval as I play this map with Low Seas. Most of the CS on the main continent will be coastal or right near the coast, with a couple inland. Also note, for people who don't play Ovals much Oval is pretty much barbarians city due to its geometry.

Very pretty start if people want to give it a spin. Another thing to note is Tradition is very playable as Babylon too, so we could see that as a third comparison if someone decided to do it.

Attachments

• Nebuchadnezzar II_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    401.3 KB · Views: 36
Do you benefit from that much if the AI isn't paying much for it?

Netherlands AI should be taught to always do that though.

You get +1 production from moving onto some of them, which is pretty huge early game. It can even snowball really hard in some situations.

I think if you settle on copper/marble/lapis and build a well you can still safely build pyramids even under the new patch where the AI build wonders quicker. Which again is sort of an exploit as yuo know the AI won't build a wonder before tx even though if it went straight for it then it could.

I rolled up a save, had to even reload once because it was Incense monopoly. Difficulty Deity, Tech trading off, ruins off, Milae mod on. The mapscript is a slightly altered Oval of my own creation, with the main refinements being guaranteed sea passage to the north and south as well as a pair of smaller Terra-like Ovals added in the East-West sea, one slightly north, one slightly south, both about 10 cities big. The Terra Ovals will often hold a Natural Wonder or two as well as between 3-5 total City States, giving a nice benefit to discovering Compass and doing a little Renaissance exploring but very dubious actual settling utility (the AI will settle them though.)

All civs are on the main continent, which is about as big as a standard Oval as I play this map with Low Seas. Most of the CS on the main continent will be coastal or right near the coast, with a couple inland. Also note, for people who don't play Ovals much Oval is pretty much barbarians city due to its geometry.

Very pretty start if people want to give it a spin. Another thing to note is Tradition is very playable as Babylon too, so we could see that as a third comparison if someone decided to do it.

What patch is this on?

This is the new patch, 5-24, which seems pretty stable so far? Then again most patches seem stable at the start.

Start seems pretty powerful and interesting, lots of options. Might be a bit glitchy but nothing major has gone wrong so far.

Top Bottom