Copy-Pasting TerrainBuildings.pcx images

Levantine

Chieftain
I'm wondering how I'm going to copy two items from TerrainBuildings(1).pcx into TerrainBuildings.pcx.

As you can see, they're different pallets in how they're divided. I'm just looking at taking the two barricade images from TerrainBuildings(1).pcx and using the modern one for a regular modern fort and the industrial era one for the modern barricade in TerrainBuildings.pcx.

I'm guessing the only way I can make this work is by resizing the images and carving out the exterior and paste the cutout into the selection of the canvas that I want? Or am I overly thinking it?

Attachments

• TerrainBuildings.PCX
    34.7 KB · Views: 56
  • TerrainBuildings(1).PCX
    41.9 KB · Views: 57
Levantine... Both files have the same Palette so you can simply copy and paste any image from and to either file.

If you want to resize, copy one small image you want from either file and paste it as a new image. Then Resize and adjust the image as you like. When finished, copy and paste your new image where you want it on either File.

Levantine... Both files have the same Palette so you can simply copy and paste any image from and to either file.

If you want to resize, copy one small image you want from either file and paste it as a new image. Then Resize and adjust the image as you like. When finished, copy and paste your new image where you want it on either File.

Thank you.

A follow up question. Why are some palletes just one solid purple color, and others diamond checkered purple and green? Will it do anything bad if I just copy paste a solid pallete over the green diamonds?

So far, I don't see any issue with it. I suspect the game reads the pcx file in a grid pattern. From left to right based on type. From top to bottom based on era. Correct?

A follow up question. Why are some palletes just one solid purple color, and others diamond checkered purple and green? Will it do anything bad if I just copy paste a solid pallete over the green diamonds?

So far, I don't see any issue with it. I suspect the game reads the pcx file in a grid pattern. From left to right based on type. From top to bottom based on era. Correct?

Levantine... I would have to see the Files you are looking at to answer your question.
IF you are talking about the pcx files for Cities, the last two colors on the Palettes are Transparent if that helps to answer your question.

From left to right based on type. From top to bottom based on era, YES

Levantine... I would have to see the Files you are looking at to answer your question.
IF you are talking about the pcx files for Cities, the last two colors on the Palettes are Transparent if that helps to answer your question.

From left to right based on type. From top to bottom based on era, YES

Thanks for taking the time to look at it. Here is my modified pcx file as I have it loaded in my game. My initial testing shows no issues, but I just want to make sure before I invest in a long game where I won't see the final product until 300 turns in.

Attachments

• TerrainBuildings.PCX
    36.7 KB · Views: 61
Levantine... If you are happy with the graphics, it will work fine.

If you want to check any graphics, you can make a fast Test biq from your Game.
Open and make changes and adjustment to your Game biq so you can see the Graphics you want to check. Save the biq as a New Name such as Terrain Buildings.

Just add a little bit of detail to Vuldacon's explanation. both the purple (you'll often see it called magenta in posts) and the green are meant to be invisible in game. As he said, it's the last 2 positions in the palette the game thinks are invisible. Specific colors don't matter. The magenta and green are used because they are bright enough to be easy to see, and they aren't used much at all for the actual graphics of cities, units, terrain, etc. Diamonds, no diamonds, rectangular outlines (in some of the terrain files) all are just guides for whoever is making the file. You could use either color anywhere you want in the graphic. Replacing one with the other is ok - it's still invisible when you play the game.

Just add a little bit of detail to Vuldacon's explanation. both the purple (you'll often see it called magenta in posts) and the green are meant to be invisible in game. As he said, it's the last 2 positions in the palette the game thinks are invisible. Specific colors don't matter. The magenta and green are used because they are bright enough to be easy to see, and they aren't used much at all for the actual graphics of cities, units, terrain, etc. Diamonds, no diamonds, rectangular outlines (in some of the terrain files) all are just guides for whoever is making the file. You could use either color anywhere you want in the graphic. Replacing one with the other is ok - it's still invisible when you play the game.

Thank you. I've found that I actually prefer the diamond-checkered pallete boards for terrain objects as it is easier to use them as a guide for where to put the images.

Top Bottom