Copy protection in Civilization V

I don't think it's right that Civ V force me to have STEAM. I just won't buy it or plan on buying it if that is the case. Screw that, Screw them and Screw Steam.

I don't think it's right that Civ V force me to have STEAM. I just won't buy it or plan on buying it if that is the case. Screw that, Screw them and Screw Steam.

I didn't want Steam on my computer but it's ultimately harmless and you can configure it to be little more than something you fire up when desired.

Plus, I'll take simple and painless online activation for software I purchase anyday over disc in the drive and/or DRM like suck-u-rom or other garbage that I've definitely had issues with in the past.

Hey, Steam is not all bad. Apparently it found updated video card drivers that I was otherwise too lazy too look for.

when steam first came out, i totally agreed with you, but they also bring great services along with it
the best of these is the fact u can dload your games anytime in the future via your steam account with no need to keep disks, cd keys and all that junk :scan: this alone is what makes steam great
u can also put your saved game up there (easily transfering between your computers) get updates automaticly, get steam achievments (dont care personally) and matchmaking services (also dont care personally)

with the trade off being a 1 of connection and registration of the game, i think that is a great deal :goodjob:

when steam first came out, i totally agreed with you, but they also bring great services along with it
the best of these is the fact u can dload your games anytime in the future via your steam account with no need to keep disks, cd keys and all that junk :scan: this alone is what makes steam great
u can also put your saved game up there (easily transfering between your computers) get updates automaticly, get steam achievments (dont care personally) and matchmaking services (also dont care personally)

with the trade off being a 1 of connection and registration of the game, i think that is a great deal :goodjob:

I have to fully agree here, when Steam started service was a bit spotty at times, but Valve has really perfected it. I was apprehensive initially, but I now have 13 games through them over 3 different pc's and 0 complaints what so ever (and great download speeds); you really can't go wrong with them.

Probably something to read for anyone who cares about what Steamworks is:

https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/api

I had never heard of Steam before reading this thread. I read the above link and the wikipedia entry and it sounds terrible. Of particular note is that it forces you to update to the latest version of the game each time before you can play it. That's a deal-breaker for me as many times patches break mods and it should be up to me if I want to install a patch or not (talking about single player, of course).
Maybe a year fom now, after all patches have been released and everything has been refined I may buy it. Too bad because I was looking forwad to it. Civ4 still has many years of life in it for me though. There must be 150+ mods I still haven't played. Frankly, the only thing I was super looking forward to in Civ5 was the move to hexagons.

the mods will be updated along with the patch. the people at 2k aren't stupid.

I too had a problem with Steam back in the beginning. It caused lag for me and it was intrusive, etc. etc. etc. I had a stack of video game boxes (still do, they collect dust now) that I liked to show off.
Then I destroyed a disk by accident and couldn't get a replacement without buying a whole new copy of the game, if I was lucky enough to find it.

I have no problems using steam, and most people that I know of is glad that civilization 5 is now on steam because of many things. Plus Steam is one of the best digital downloading service out there.

I think that slapping them on their fingers and doing the right thing when your rights as consumers are being invaded is the correct path to take.

When they then come to their senses you may pay for the game.

Not to mention that Steam is a pretty bad platform and that even ordinary internet verification would be more suitable.

I'm very hapy with steam too.

Now i gonna teach u guys a trick.
Open steam and click on the menu menu Steam>Go Offline. Then you'll start the offline mode.

You won't be able to update games, get (Steam-only) acheivements and play online (This is so true with steamworks). BUT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO LOAD THE GAME! you just will not get some features on.
The bright side? If you don't log-in again before exit Steam, when you open it again, you'll be prompted if you want to log in. Just click on "Start in offline mode" and you're cool. Again, some games WILL LOSE SOME FEATURES, but you'll be able to play.

I just tested it with Civ4:BtS, and i could play it on offline mode.

If everybody knows it, well, at least i'm saying it again.

I had never heard of Steam before reading this thread. I read the above link and the wikipedia entry and it sounds terrible. Of particular note is that it forces you to update to the latest version of the game each time before you can play it. That's a deal-breaker for me as many times patches break mods and it should be up to me if I want to install a patch or not (talking about single player, of course).
Maybe a year fom now, after all patches have been released and everything has been refined I may buy it. Too bad because I was looking forwad to it. Civ4 still has many years of life in it for me though. There must be 150+ mods I still haven't played. Frankly, the only thing I was super looking forward to in Civ5 was the move to hexagons.

Afaik, It doesn't force you to update it, you can configure for every game if steam should update it automatically or not.

Welcome to the forums Toddyaraujo. :)

Thanks :) Was lurking for some time, but with Civ5 coming soon i've decided to register now =)

Steam still drains CPU and doesn't it demand an online registration the first time you install the game? Please check and recheck.

Steam still drains CPU and doesn't it demand an online registration the first time you install the game? Please check and recheck.

Right now On task manager Steam is using 29M memory (Without any game running - 34M with BtS), And yes, you'll need to be connected at least to install/register the game (With the CD, i guess it should not take 2 minutes).
If this is too much for you, i don't know what else you can do :(

Top Bottom