Cottages vs Farms vs Lumbermills

You defend communism because you desire a classless society with the people at the power of the means of production.
I like communism because their Watermills are broken powerful
"We are not the same"? 😂 #MemesOfProduction

My general suggestion:
  • Prioritize production (hammers). Production builds infrastructure, units to and attack neighbours, and expand via workers & settlers. Unless you run out of areas to expand or enemies to subdue I suggest staying on farms & workshops. Vassalage farms with tributaries should be the path.
  • When population grows to happiness limit switch to workshops and/or build armies for garrison & conquest. Much like historical middle ages / renaissance.
  • Transition to cottages if you run out of stuff to build (conquered all your neighbours) or discover individualism.

General notes:
  • Late game consider transitioning to egalitarianism-central planning watermills.
  • I rarely use lumbermills. In food rich areas workshops work just as well. In food poor areas farms are better. Again this is rather historical.
  • For hills replace the afore mentioned improvements with mines, windmills, and cottages.
  • What timing you use to switch is based on experience. Note that switching over the capital region first with regulated trade multiplies the commerce gain.
Altogether these create an excellent game mechanic that simulates urbanization around the capital (capitalism joke anyone?)
In regards to the happiness cap…what exactly is that? This was the first game I have played as Russia where I made it to 1700 and have had large cities without happiness issues. Start of game I always run despotism because Russia population grows quick. Once I am done with the Mongols I switch to Elective for a bit until I get better city development and then I switch to Monarchy to keeep things happy.

In regards to Vikings, Oslo seems to stay happy whereas Stockholm can be a challenge. Also, in the beginning of a Viking game, what’s a good strategy in regards to building infrastructure to get things started? Also, civics? Additionally I know you said focus on hammers but what about population growth? I figure population growth should be slow as Vikings and maybe I shouldn’t worry about it too much?

Last edited:
In regards to the happiness cap…what exactly is that? This was the first game I have played as Russia where I made it to 1700 and have had large cities without happiness issues. Start of game I always run despotism because Russia population grows quick. Once I am done with the Mongols I switch to Elective for a bit until I get better city development and then I switch to Monarchy to keeep things happy.

In regards to Vikings, Oslo seems to stay happy whereas Stockholm can be a challenge. Also, in the beginning of a Viking game, what’s a good strategy in regards to building infrastructure to get things started? Also, civics? Additionally I know you said focus on hammers but what about population growth? I figure population growth should be slow as Vikings and maybe I shouldn’t worry about it too much?

You are at the happiness cap, if a further grow of the city would result in an unhappy citizen who doesn't work.

The difference between Oslo and Stockholm in your game is probably because Oslo is the capital and gets culture from the palace. Unlike in vanilla civ 4, in this mod happiness ressources don't affect every city of your empire, but are distributed among your cities in order of the city-culture. Oslo as most cultured city gets happiness ressources first. You should build something that provides culture in Stockholm, so Stockholm is at least no. 2 among your cities in culture, and not small cities like Bergen, wich don't need ressources to stay happy anyway. You don't need tons of culture in Stockholm, just more than your other cities.

You are at the happiness cap, if a further grow of the city would result in an unhappy citizen who doesn't work.

The difference between Oslo and Stockholm in your game is probably because Oslo is the capital and gets culture from the palace. Unlike in vanilla civ 4, in this mod happiness ressources don't affect every city of your empire, but are distributed among your cities in order of the city-culture. Oslo as most cultured city gets happiness ressources first. You should build something that provides culture in Stockholm, so Stockholm is at least no. 2 among your cities in culture, and not small cities like Bergen, wich don't need ressources to stay happy anyway. You don't need tons of culture in Stockholm, just more than your other cities.
I typically use Stockholm or Roskilde as capital. I notice the AI always uses Roskilde as the capital.

Top Bottom