could extensive death penalty reduce crime in long term?

could extensive death penalty reduce crime in long term?

• Yes, it could have a deterrant effect

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Yes, it could have a gene-pool effect

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Yes, it could have both a deterrant and gene-pool effect

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No, there's no way it could have any of these effects.

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
cierdan said:
I don't get why they use measly cops to fight them. They should bring in the military instead. Sometimes the cops are outgunned and it seems stupid to rely on them when you can rely on the military instead (either that or just give the cops more powerful weapons ... may not be a good idea actually because of renegade judges that usurp control over cops)

I do not get why people still cannot graps the simple idea of strictly controlling who gets guns and authority to use them.

Military with police function = prime setup for military coup d'etat. Do you want a General to head your country with supreme and unlimited power? Yes?
Then please use the military for policework. You may have to wait a few deaceds, but eventually one fo the guys WILL grasp the opportunity.

Right so my statement that they contradict each other was not "false" as you claimed.
Obviously the claim I said was false was that there were any good statistical studies which show that the death penalty has a deterrent effect. Glad to clear that up.

Police Science is not a branch of mathematics or economics and so his PhD is mostly irrelevant. It'd be as useful as a PhD in music or biology.
You are displaying willful ignorance yet again. His thesis involved developing and employing a predictive statistical model to a sociological problem. Obviously this involves a high level of mathematics, and statistics, and understanding sociology of which a component is economics.

He is trained and has published in the field of econometrics (the application of statistical and mathematical methods in the field of economics). As he says in his testimony under oath. Indeed he is an expert in the field, that's why he was called to testify to the New York Judicial committee.

Econometrics is a sub-discipline, I don’t know of any PhD level degree programs in specifically that topic. It is part of many programs, such as police science, economics, global derivatives, business statistics, etc.

Law doesn't have anything to do with econometrics. Even study of the "Law and Economics" school of thought within the philosophy of law doesn't involve study of econometrics.
Gah, more willful ignorance! If you are going to apply econometrics to the question of the potential deterrent effect of the death penalty then obviously it does have something to do with Law in this context. That is why a Law school would have a professor qualified to teach law students about econometrics, which Dr. Fagan does.
You've got to be kidding me! There are loads of people more qualified than he. You could start with someone who actually possesses a degree in mathematics or a degree in economics with a specialization in econometrics -- such as some of the people who developed the econometric studies showing the deterrent effect.
I’m starting to think you live in some fantasy world where anything you say is true. Dr. Fagan has a degree in Police Science that involved much course work in econometrics. His thesis was basically the application of econometrics.

I’ll repeat:
Please, if you know of anyone more qualified to review the work in this field - let me know. Untill then you are just blowing smoke.

You have not done so. Bring the study you are thinking of to the table so we can have a look. Let’s look at the credentials of the author and discuss the validity of the work.

So you'd support it if it didn't have racial and economic bias?
And if it wasn’t more expensive than life in prison without parole. Then yes, especially if there was any convincing evidence for a deterrent effect.

You said a few things about bias, and I agree with some of it. I only said I find the bias worrying, just as I would (and do) bias in other criminal courts.

My main argument is the viability of life without parole vs. the death penalty. My argument centers on the relative costs, the fallibility of human endeavors and the possibility for overturning a sentence, and my naïve belief in the value of rehabilitation over revenge.

If there were a strong deterrent effect of the death penalty, I would most likely support it even given the current problems.

If there were even a marginal effect, I would have to consider it.

The fact is that if there is an effect, it is swamped by other overriding factors. That is the point clearly made by the auto-regression argument, and one you have yet to address.

The issue we are discussing here is the deterrent effect, not my opinion of the death penalty, you have brought nothing to the table on that topic.

This doesn't even touch on the argument I made regarding possible genetic influence.

Voted deterant and gene pool. Now I don't think that criminality is genetic (only a fool would) but i think it will remove negative influences and that is pretty similar to a gene pool cleanse.

Right, so it seems there are actually people in this thread which think the following....

There is a gene that makes you sell drugs
There is a gene that makes you rape
There is a gene that makes you riot
There is a gene that makes you steal
There is a gene that makes you kill
And so on

OH DEAR :eek:

I voted no. However I support the DP not as a deterrent but for those cases were theres no doubt of guilt (usually the old insanity defence) for crimes such a kiddie rapists, drug dealing (in crack/cocaine/heroin), and particuly cruel murders (tortured/raped or murdering children). Some scum just don't deserve to live.

This is so wrong I'm not even going to type more than 5 sentences. First: The Death Penalty would not reduce crime in any way that Life won't. Second: If criminality is a gene, why am I not a drunk driver like my father was? Third: Since when are real criminals, the ones you'd see doing serious crimes, be deterred by harcher penalties? Fourth: The Death Penalty is also patently wrong and I do not see how people can disagree if they see all the evidence.

Being too young to drive or drink has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to drive drunk. But I can legally drive with someone over 21(learner's permit). And criminality takes many more forms than drunk driving.

Top Bottom