Coup in Myanmar?

Samson

Deity
Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior figures from the governing party have been detained in an early morning raid, the spokesman for the governing National League for Democracy said on Monday.

The move comes after days of escalating tension between the civilian government and the powerful military that stirred fears of a coup in the aftermath of an election the army says was fraudulent.

Spokesman Myo Nyunt told Reuters by phone that Aung San Suu Kyi, President Win Myint and other leaders had been “taken” in the early hours of the morning.

“I want to tell our people not to respond rashly and I want them to act according to the law,” he said, adding he also expected to be detained.

The BBC's South East Asia correspondent, Jonathan Head, says there are soldiers on the streets of the capital, Naypyitaw, and the main city, Yangon.

Telephone and internet lines in Naypyitaw have been cut, the BBC's Burmese Service reports.

Soldiers also visited the homes of chief ministers in several regions and took them away, family members said.

On Saturday Myanmar's armed forces promised to abide by the constitution as concerns grew that they were preparing to stage a coup.

On Monday morning, Myanmar state TV said on Facebook it was unable to broadcast.

The raids come after the country’s powerful military raised the spectre of staging a coup as it ramped up demands for an investigation into alleged voter fraud during last year’s election, which was swept by Aung San Suu Kyi’s ruling party.

The National League for Democracy (NLD) won November’s poll in a landslide, but has been much criticised by rights groups for its disenfranchisement of voters in conflict-wracked regions.

The military-aligned opposition disputed the results, while the army has for weeks alleged widespread voter irregularities, claiming to have found 8.6m cases of fraud.

Last week military spokesman Major General Zaw Min Tun said that military chief Min Aung Hlaing – arguably Myanmar’s most powerful individual – had already pointed out “dishonesty and unfairness” during the election.

When pressed on the possibility of a coup, the spokesman refused to be drawn, but did not rule it out.

“We do not say the Tatmadaw will take power. We do not say it will not as well,” said the spokesman, using the Burmese name for the military.

The polls in November were the second openly contested elections since Myanmar emerged in 2011 after nearly 50 years of junta rule.

But the military still holds an outsized role in the country’s politics, retaining control over key ministries thanks to a junta-scripted constitution which dictates an uneasy power-sharing agreement with de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

On Monday Canada’s ambassador to the United Nations, Bob Rae, said there was “no justification for the military detention of Aung Sang Suu Kyi”.

“The Burmese military - the Tatmadaw - must be held to account,” he said.

Last edited:
Why? I mean, I know nothing about the conditions there but it seems like the civilian government is a sham and was already powerless to stop the army from controlling the state.

The army declared a one-year state of emergency in a video broadcast on Myawaddy Television (MWD) citing ‘terrible fraud’ in last November’s general election as a justification for seizing power.

Why? I mean, I know nothing about the conditions there but it seems like the civilian government is a sham and was already powerless to stop the army from controlling the state.
I could not comment, other than I guess that if they had all the power, they would not have done this.

There is a sort of dark humour, in that this is exactly what the QAnon thought would happen, just in the wrong country.

Some pics:

Soldiers stand guard on a blockaded road to Myanmar’s parliament in Naypyidaw

Myanmar’s military checkpoint is seen on the way to the congress compound in Naypyitaw, Myanmar

Supporters of the Myanmar military gather near trucks adorned with the military flag, Buddhist religious flag and national flag

1st Hand Account from Yangon:
Andrew Nachemson said:
Yangon, Myanmar – I went to bed in a flawed democracy and woke up under military rule. Late on Sunday, hours before Myanmar’s new parliament was due to convene, the military released an aggressive statement again rejecting the results of November’s election, which the National League for Democracy (NLD) won in a landslide. It was not a good sign for continuing negotiations in the nation’s capital, which sources had said were going badly.
I woke up on Monday at 5am to a series of missed phone calls and text messages to find that the worst was confirmed: the Myanmar military had moved to seize power from the elected civilian government overnight. The country’s leader, State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi, had been arrested in the remote capital of Naypyidaw, along with other high-ranking NLD officials.
I was immediately taken back to September 2017, when I woke up in Phnom Penh to find that the pro-democracy opposition leader Kem Sokha had been arrested in a midnight raid. That was the beginning of the end of the Cambodia National Rescue Party’s attempt to bring democracy to the country.
Shortly before 7am, my mobile data and home internet abruptly stopped working, a development many expected should the military go forward with a coup. I took to the streets, schlepping across Yangon to find a cafe that was open early, defied COVID-19 restrictions, and was serving customers despite the coup.
I had no such luck. I passed street markets full of people panic buying emergency food supplies like rice, eggs, and vegetables. Many were scared and confused, unable to contact family outside of the city. Others were frustrated and angry.
Eventually, I made my way to my gym. There was a simple piece of paper taped on the door: “gym closed today”. However, the door was unlocked and the WiFi switched on, so I was able to sit in the lobby and connect to the outside world again. I confirmed with a source that arrests were extending beyond NLD officials, sweeping up activists as well, adding a new dimension of fear for myself and my colleagues working in the media.
Soon, I ventured back out to do more interviews, knowing that doing so would leave me unable to communicate. I spoke to more people on the streets, finding more uncertainty. Lines were forming outside of grocery stores, banks, and pharmacies.
I returned home to find the WiFi still not functioning. The friendly security guard at my building gave me a sad smile. “You should go back to America,” he said. “Myanmar not good.” I went to a colleague’s house and once again reconnected to WiFi, filing quotes and snippets from the ground to different media outlets.
Then came the heartbreaking text messages from Myanmar friends:
“My friend’s dad got captured”.
“I’ve never felt this weak in my life”.
With night falling over Yangon, there have been no major signs of unrest and only isolated incidents of violence, but many questions remain.
A statement attributed to Aung San Suu Kyi was posted on an official NLD Facebook page, urging supporters to reject the coup and protest in the streets, but some NLD officials were uncertain over its authenticity. How will NLD supporters respond to the statement? Will the military crush mass demonstrations violently as they have done in the past?
Will democratic space in Myanmar revert to the semi-open context that existed between 2010 and 2015 under the military’s proxy Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP)? Or will Myanmar find itself in the Orwellian nightmares of the past military governments?
How much of this was premeditated? For weeks, the USDP accused the NLD of voter fraud, while the Tatmadaw stood silent on the issue, seemingly allowing its proxy to flounder on its own. Then suddenly, it joined the disinformation campaign with a vengeance. Was this a calculated move to make the military’s eventual intervention seem reluctant? Or was it making impulsive decisions on the fly?
There are other questions, perhaps more concerning: What does this mean for the Rohingya and other ethnic minorities that have suffered unspeakable abuses at the hands of the military? What will they experience at the hands of a completely unfettered military regime? The NLD was criticised for remaining silent, but it was the military that carried out campaigns of mass murder, rape, and arson.
I closed the day with a heavy heart, gutted for the people of Myanmar, including my close friends and brave colleagues, who all deserve so much more than a return to a dark, recent past.

upload_2021-2-1_19-43-35.png

I am sure "Myanmar" is a local name, always preferable to the people there, but Burma (or at least the greek name for it) sounds imo a lot cooler :)
It's "Birmania" here, btw.

It's borders look a bit artificial too (?). Although compared to the ridiculous corridor India has to the massive territory north of Burma... they aren't that bad.
Didn't neighboring Siam manage to stay independent until ww2?

Last edited:
View attachment 584212

I am sure "Myanmar" is a local name, always preferable to the people there, but Burma (or at least the greek name for it) sounds imo a lot cooler :)

It's borders look a bit artificial too (?). Although compared to the ridiculous corridor India has to the massive territory north of Burma... they aren't that bad.
It looks pretty complex:

The official English name was changed by the country's government from the "Union of Burma" to the "Union of Myanmar" in 1989, and still later to the "Republic of the Union of Myanmar". Since then, those name changes have been the subject of controversies and mixed incidences of adoption.

Burmar is the written, literary name of the country, while Bama is the spoken name of the country. Both names derive ultimately from the endonym of the largest ethnic group in Burma, the Bamar people, also known as Bama or Burmans in the spoken register and in the literary register. As such, some groups—particularly non-Bamar minorities—consider one or other (or indeed both) names to be exclusionary.

The etymology of Myanma remains unclear. The "Bamas" who entered the central Irrawaddy river valley in the 9th century founded the Pagan Kingdom in 849, and called themselves Mranma. The earliest record discovered of the word was in a Mon inscription dated 1102, inside which the name was spelled Mirma. The first record of the name in a Burmese inscription is dated 1190, in which inscription the name was spelled Myanma.

View attachment 584212

Moslem Bangladesh was carved out of India as East Pakistan during Independence; hence the odd borders.

I have to post this, the previous and current leaders of Myanmar. This look like they hate each other almost as much as don and melania.

Accidental art: aerobics instructor (I assume on Zoom or something) unaware of the military behind her.

Link to video.

I usually trust OSCE to gauge whether there is election fraud or not, but I don't know if they are watching over Burma.

From Wiki:

For most of its independent years, the country has been engrossed in rampant ethnic strife and its myriad ethnic groups have been involved in one of the world's longest-running ongoing civil wars. During this time, the United Nations and several other organisations have reported consistent and systematic human rights violations in the country.[11] In 2011, the military junta was officially dissolved following a 2010 general election, and a nominally civilian government was installed. This, along with the release of Aung San Suu Kyi and political prisoners, had improved the country's human rights record and foreign relations and has led to the easing of trade and other economic sanctions.[12] There is, however, continuing criticism of the government's treatment of ethnic minorities, its response to the ethnic insurgency, and religious clashes.[13] In the 2015 election, Aung San Suu Kyi's party won a majority in both houses. However, the Burmese military remained a powerful force in politics and, on 1 February 2021, again seized power in a coup d'état.[14]

Is someone able to help me out and provide some notes on whether the voting fraud claims are true or not? Ideally from an international watchdog?

Regardless of actual fraud or not, the military taking over is rarely good :/

Myanmar police file charges against Aung San Suu Kyi after coup

Myanmar police have filed charges against overthrown leader Aung San Suu Kyi for illegally importing communications equipment and sought her detention until February 15 for investigations, according to a police document.
The police filed a request with a court detailing the accusations against 75-year-old Aung San Suu Kyi, claiming that walkie-talkie radios had been found in a search of her home in the capital, Naypyidaw. It said the radios were imported illegally and used without permission.
A separate document showed that the had police filed charges against overthrown President Win Myint for offences under the Disaster Management Law.
Reporting from Yangon, Al Jazeera’s Ali Fowle said that Myanmar’s import-export act was “notoriously vague”.
“It could be anything from a fax machine to a walkie-talkie. It’s a notorious law because it was used under the former military regime all the time to imprison political prisoners,” said Fowle.
“There was a lot of criticism for the NLD [National League for Democracy] for not changing that law when they came to power because many of their members have been imprisoned under it,” she added.

People in Myanmar’s largest city Yangon said they would show their opposition to the military coup by banging on pots and pans again on Wednesday night.
Tuesday’s sustained, nocturnal cacophony was the first public sign of protest against Monday’s power grab that reinstalled the generals in total control after a brief period of elective democracy.
People all over Yangon and other cities and towns across the country joined in, leaning out of doors, on balconies or just within their own sitting rooms as part of a campaign of civil disobedience urged by Aung San Suu Kyi.
“It is likely to see more [civil disobedience] happening,” reported Fowle. “We’ve already seen government staff – including hospital staff in Myanmar – saying that they are not going to go to work, they refuse to work under the military.
“What they’re trying to show the military regime is that they are not willing to work for them,” she added.​

So the concrete charges of imprisonment are other illegal importation of communications equipment? Nothing else concrete to follow up on by the military, overthrowing a government?

Then yea, definitely just a return of the junta. :/

So the concrete charges of imprisonment are other illegal importation of communications equipment? Nothing else concrete to follow up on by the military, overthrowing a government?

Then yea, definitely just a return of the junta. :/
That is certainly the plan. There is a certain amount of pushback though:

Medics in Myanmar on strike against military amid COVID-19 crisis

Front-line healthcare workers from more than 70 medical units and hospitals across the country announced a strike on Wednesday, refusing to work for the military regime. The developments raise fresh concerns about Myanmar’s coronavirus response and vaccination programme, which began on January 27, days before the coup.

Medical workers pose during a protest against the coup that removed elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi at in Yangon General Hospital

Reports of arrests in Myanmar as anti-coup protests gather pace

Myanmar’s military government reportedly arrested at least three protesters on Thursday hours after it blocked Facebook and other social media platforms in a bid to quell dissent after detaining the country’s elected leaders and seizing power in a coup that the United Nations chief said must fail.
Facebook, used by about half Myanmar’s 53 million people, has emerged as a key platform for opposition to Monday’s coup with photos of civil disobedience campaigns and nightly pot-and-pan protests widely shared.
The Ministry of Communications and Transport said the restrictions would remain in place until February 7.
“Currently the people who are troubling the country’s stability … are spreading fake news and misinformation and causing misunderstanding among people by using Facebook,” the ministry said in a letter.
The police action comes after street protest erupted in the second-biggest city Mandalay against the coup that ousted democratic leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Most people in Myanmar access Facebook through their mobile phones and it is also a crucial means of communication for businesses and government, although it has been linked to hate speech and disinformation.
Myanmar lodges objections in Rohingya genocide case

Myanmar is being accused of attempting to delay court proceedings after it emerged the country last month filed preliminary objections to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) over genocide charges for its treatment of the mostly Muslim Rohingya.
The case was brought by The Gambia in 2019 after a brutal military crackdown in the western state of Rakhine in 2017 forced hundreds of thousands of Rohingya to flee across the border to neighbouring Bangladesh.
The filing did not elaborate on the nature of the objections, but legal experts say they are likely to include whether the court has jurisdiction to hear the case and whether The Gambia has the appropriate standing to bring the suit.​

Teachers join growing protests against military

A civil disobedience movement in Myanmar is gaining momentum with teachers and students protesting against Monday's military coup.
Demonstrators at a university in the biggest city, Yangon, chanted support for jailed leader Aung San Suu Kyi and wore red ribbons, her party's colour.
On Friday afternoon, hundreds of teachers and students gathered outside Dagon University, where they displayed the three-finger salute - a sign that has been adopted by protesters in the region to show their opposition to authoritarian rule.
"We will not let our generation suffer under this kind of military dictatorship," Min Sithu, a student, told the AFP news agency.
Students at Dagon University chanted "Long live Mother Suu" and carried red flags, the colour of the NLD party, AFP reports.

UN's response to this is a good example of why the UN is a joke. Though not the only reason of course.

Yeah but it is also the reason it has lasted so long. If the countries that could probably hold off the whole world if necessary are not able to veto resolutions, they would just walk out. It is certainly a joke the the UK and France also have a veto, but I guess they know that as they have not used it since 1989.

Better to have PRC walk out than have them do effectively the same thing while in it. It would be different if they kept their word, or behaved in a fashion consistent to the supposed purpose of the UN.

UN has long been willing to cover up heinous crimes and act with double standards though, so maybe China fits after all :/.

Top Bottom