COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would all be better if we just wiped all other cultures off the planet, AmIRite?
China will probably wipe out bat consumption on their own.

It's already not super common. A lot of the country thought it was disgusting and backwards even before the outbreak.

Are any of you guys buying any supplies? I don't really feel the need to stock up. Can't imagine water supplies becoming tainted or food supplies shutting down. We have a lot of cereals at my house, not tons of canned goods though. No bottled water.

TBH I haven't even considered it untill today , there are 2 confirmed cases in my town detected today. I think I ought to prepare for chaos.

It's already not super common. A lot of the country thought it was disgusting and backwards even before the outbreak.

Past ebola outbreaks have also been linked to bats. What's up with these creatures? Payback for the negative stereotyping in horror films?

You're being insincere here. We know what you wanted to say, but why did you want to say it?

Now he's pushed you into being insincere. You, along with the rest of us, already know why he wanted to say it and know that he most likely will not just openly say "because all cultures except white bread America are inferior and should be wiped from the earth." Even three years of Trump haven't emboldened most of them that far.

Now he's pushed you into being insincere. You, along with the rest of us, already know why he wanted to say it and know that he most likely will not just openly say "because all cultures except white bread America are inferior and should be wiped from the earth." Even three years of Trump haven't emboldened most of them that far.
I'm pretty sure that's not what he's thinking

I'm confused.

The origin has not changed. The virus started in Wuhan, which is not in the United States. It is in China.

It's not gross because it's factually incorrect. It's gross because it brings nothing to the conversation other than pandering and bigotry.

If Trump wants to highlight a fact about covid-19, he should highlight that it's zoonotic.

Past ebola outbreaks have also been linked to bats. What's up with these creatures? Payback for the negative stereotyping in horror films?

What I understand
Having an immune system is a big metabolic tax.
Bats (their evolution) have chosen another solution against virusses as usual with less immune system and fast production of big amounts of interferon-alpha that when infected prevents-protects cells being killed by virusses.
This means that infected bats have more time to kill virusses with their lesser immune system.

Unfortunately this also means that bats are longer infected with virusses and perfect hosts for spreading.

It's not gross because it's factually incorrect. It's gross because it brings nothing to the conversation other than pandering and bigotry.

If Trump wants to highlight a fact about covid-19, he should highlight that it's zoonotic.

A zoonosis (plural zoonoses, or zoonotic diseases) is an infectious disease caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites that spread from non-human animals (usually vertebrates) to humans.[1][2][3]

TIL

Couldn't happen to a more deserving lot, if they all get it:

Brazilian government has confirmed that President Jair Bolsonaro’s communications secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, has coronavirus just days after meeting Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago, Dom Phillips, in Rio de Janeiro, reports.
Wajngarten shared photos of himself with Trump and Mike Pence during the trip, as well as Bolsonaro. The two presidents dined on Saturday at Mar-a-Lago in Florida. In one video, Wajngarten (wearing glasses) is seen just behind Trump and Bolsonaro.
The US government has been informed “so that they can adopt the necessary cautionary measures”, the statement said. Wajngarten is in home quarantine.

After all the denials and the damage they did.

(formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

The origin has not changed. The virus started in Wuhan, which is not in the United States. It is in China. It started because they ate bats.
  1. Catch the bat
  2. Stick the bat in hot water
  3. Eat it

Nice of you to come out and admit you're pretty much a racist

Or he could highlight that under his leadership US response has been predictably terrible, which is also a plain fact.

A zoonosis (plural zoonoses, or zoonotic diseases) is an infectious disease caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites that spread from non-human animals (usually vertebrates) to humans.[1][2][3]

TIL

Interesting, but why would it be useful for Trump to mention that?

"I'm not a virus, I'm a human. Eradicate the prejudice"? Has society really gotten so stupid that measures to stop the spread of disease are being labeled as "racist" and "bigoted"?

You know how I respond to that "I'm not a virus, I'm a human" crap? By saying "Yes you are a human. A human carrying a potentially deadly virus. Now get back into quarantine."
It is a response to anti-asian racism this has reignited, which we'll get back to here shortly.
So it turns out that the first NBA player to get infected touched every single microphone at a recent press conference as a joke.
Are any of you guys buying any supplies? I don't really feel the need to stock up. Can't imagine water supplies becoming tainted or food supplies shutting down. We have a lot of cereals at my house, not tons of canned goods though. No bottled water.

Supermarkets around me have (anecdotally) started running out of more than just toilet roll; pasta and other similar long-term products are start to get panic / mass-bought.

If you get hit hard, you'll want some ready-to-serve stuff laying around. But IIRC you and your wife are in pretty decent shape, so you only need enough for a few days and not two to four weeks.
I went grocery shopping this weekend and TP was low, as was canned food. I did pick up a decent selection of pre-made food in case I get sick but I didn't get extra TP or cleaning supplies, nor did I buy an inordinate amount of pre-made food. I skipped buying cleaning supplies because I work from home and my wife works at a school. I likely won't get it but if it shows up at her school, there's not much we can do to stop from getting it through them.

They are pretty sure the school district will shut down as soon as a kid turns up sick. They aren't sure if they'll get paid if that happens (but it's a union job so probably will) and it will mess up her master's degree work because she has to do 1-1 interviews with some students over the next few weeks to complete her research. Some of the students in her master's class have already been placed in quarantine and thus their coursework is derailed.

What do you actually mean by this?

The meaning was that @Tristan_C is a racist and enjoys playing at the edges of CFC moderation to let us know that.

Maybe eating bats isn't common but bush meat is common in China. It's been the source of previous outbreaks and while there might be temporary crackdowns during the immediate response, they have generally let the bush meat markets bounce back afterward. Maybe they'll learn this time but who knows.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he's thinking
Thank you for this confidence.

They are biochemically near-identical to humans. Viruses their bodies carry which nevertheless permit them to survive and reproduce could be, uh, uniquely subtle and dangerous to humans. Do not eat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom