Crashing Multiplayer? - Info on Firewalls, Routers and Proxies

Are you able to access files and folders on each other's PC's?

Just asking 'cause I've had heaps of trouble trying to just get regular networking to work from WinXP to Win98.. :)

Yes, I have had trouble in that area in the past. However, in this case I am able to share files between the computers without error. Both of the PCs are able to see the other on the network, share files, ping, etc. The only time it seems to break down is within the game

I am no expert but i have read that if your IP starts with either 192 , or 62 you have a firewall protecting you...

btw: anybody have an answer to the problem i posted about a year ago now ?(plzzz)

@Bart:

Usually, you are correct. If the computer you are using has access to the internet, and you are using a 192.168. IP, your IP is being translated by a firewall/router somewhere in order to work on the Internet.

However, 192.168. IP addresses are also used on internal private networks, where no connection to the internet is needed. In this case, my network consists only of a hub and two PCs. Absolutely no firewall or router anywhere on the network.

We just solved the multi-player game crash problem: it is caused by the DirectX 7.0 on my PC. It is ok after upgrading to 9.0b.

I start a multiplayer game, hositng, and I get into it. As soon as I see my settler, it cuts off and goes bakc to the Civ 3 gamepage. Then, when I try to join a game, even though I have Conquests, it cuts off saying I don't have a compatable game version with the host's. Help?

I have a dial up internet connection..:mad:..no firewalls :sad: that i know about and here is a handy little screenshot :goodjob: Can anyone help me??

what does all this stuff mean ??

Attachments

• hlep.bmp
    278.4 KB · Views: 429
can anyone help me?

kaHSGFKJHGadf

Attachments

• help.bmp
    374.2 KB · Views: 459
I have joined Civ4 games without any of these ports open, this leads me to believe any joining problems I have can't possibly be because of my firewall. If I can connect sometimes to games then how could the ports I havn't opened possibly matter?

Does anyone here know how to open ports on a belkin F5D7630 router? I keep looking at the website but it won't tell me.

ok I got a Dynex DX-E401 its askes for trigger ports and public ports? i need help opening all the ports needed to play/host games please.

I trying to get my friends to connect to a game. He can join a lobby, but once it goes to the setup screen, it keeps saying attempting to connect and keeps counting down from 20 to 0 and restarts it again. We waited for 5 min. but it still keeps saying it. We have tried opening the ports, then direct connect, and it still won't work. Can anyone help?

How do I even OPEN a port? do I connect to my router? Do I change the settings in my firewall? ?

Also, DirectPlay came with Windows XP Service Pack 2, so It's not shown in Add or Remove Programs, which means that I can't select it in the "Exception List" in my firewall. How can I install DirectPlay separately or at least include DirecPlay in the Exceptions List so that I can make firewall allow DirectPlay to fuction as a server?

Please help...

Hello everybody,
I have very annoying problem in my modded (BIQ file only) PBEM game:

Can anyone here understand crash report? I have absolutely no clue what causes it, as it happens seemingly randomly, after we have played normally several turns.

I never had a problem with Civ3 before, everything was working always :confused:

I have joined Civ4 games without any of these ports open, this leads me to believe any joining problems I have can't possibly be because of my firewall. If I can connect sometimes to games then how could the ports I havn't opened possibly matter?

This is an old post, but a counterexample to this was demonstrated the other night.
3 of us tried to play Civ4 BTS, two of us behind routers. I just had to buy a new router, so no ports open. The other guy hasn't opened any ports. The player without a router hosted. One of us could join the game, but the second person who tried to join got the message that the other router person's computer was blocking.

Hello everybody,
I have very annoying problem in my modded (BIQ file only) PBEM game:
Can anyone here understand crash report? I have absolutely no clue what causes it, as it happens seemingly randomly, after we have played normally several turns.

I never had a problem with Civ3 before, everything was working always :confused:

Perhaps try the latest patch 1.22 ?

http://www.civ3.com/support.cfm

Perhaps try the latest patch 1.22 ?

http://www.civ3.com/support.cfm

I know what you mean :) Trust me I did! Right click on your exe Application, in Details Tab it will show version 1.21 even though you know you have 1.22 (if you on North America, of course).

No, verion is fine.... Something else is wrong....

Top Bottom