CTP2 is not utter garbage!

If you get CTP2 and patch it and mod it then it is a great game.

Since this is a Civilization website brothers and sisters, let us not bash any civ type game!

But seriously, every person has their own opinions. CtP may not be for everyone, but I am one civaddict who loves all civ games in all of their forms. :D

Originally posted by archer_007
The game really suxs. I like some of the concepts, but the gameplay is horrible.

Have you tried playing it modded? CtP2 out of the box isn't that great, but once you mod it the game rox! Give it a try before you make such a comment. Then again I suspect I won't see you here again. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Moff Jerjerrod

Have you tried playing it modded? CtP2 out of the box isn't that great, but once you mod it the game rox! Give it a try before you make such a comment. Then again I suspect I won't see you here again. :rolleyes:
I've tried it with MedMod2. It's better, but still doesn't quite make it...

MedMod2 is alot easier than Cradle. MedMod has more overall depth and cradle concentrates on the ancient era, but cradle is a real challenge, as is Super Apolyton Pack.

Originally posted by archer_007
The game really suxs. I like some of the concepts, but the gameplay is horrible.

That explians everything anyone needs to know abot the game

Yeah and he said it in such an eloquent and educated fashion :rolleyes:

You nor he have even played the game with any of the newer Mods lately, thats pretty clear. If you dont like it, its your PREFERENCE, its not because its inherently bad.

Perfection is a misconception. ;)

Maquiladora, you are totally correct. I personally dislike the game, but I have a friend who absolutely loves it. Some people like specific games, with our find unbearable. I haven't tried it modded, so maybe get some of those mods and give it a second try.

CTP2 is a great game when modded. It's better than civ3 in many respects: no. of civs, techs, govts, etc; the editor is fantastic compared with civ3 and it is much more atmospheric. Some of the music on CTP2 is wonderful.
But, no matter what difficulty level it is played, the AI is far too predictable and the diplomacy is inadequate.
If they fixed these elements, I'd never play civ3 again...and I certainly wouldn't fork out for the PTW XP, which only makes civ3 how it should have been in the first place....

Definately agreed calgacus. If diplo and the ai was tweaked a little CtP2 would easily best Civ3. I love the fact that the game (CtP2) lasts longer and has a more complicated tech tree. You can also play into the future with underwater cities and such. Too bad they removed the space element though.

Well i do agree that the diplomacy needs to be better , despite already the efforts of the modders.

But if you play Cradle 1.32 on deity with raging horde barbs, and you think its predictable, you wont last long. IMO Deity on cradle is about equal to emperor on Civ3, but only for the simple reason that on deity Civ3, the AI expands like a maniac, ending only with the whole planet colonised by 1000BC, thats easily fixed with increased settler cost though.

I myself dont like the future units/advances etc but its easy to take them out.

As you said if things changed in CtP2 it would easily beat Civ3, and i would say if culture and combat were "tweaked" it would certainly half the time i played CtP2, but culture and combat are perfect/fine for some people in the civ3 camp already. So its basically preference as always.

Good day to you :D

Oh and they didnt take out the space element, they just didnt have time to implement it. Just like the throne room, more advanced diplomacy, better ai movement and all the other goodies left unfinished. :(

Nah, I think they deliberately dropped the space layer.

Advanced AI and Diplomacy is in the works. There's a fine balance in getting an AI that can attack, but knows when not to.

What about the throne room? Theres alot of old stuff hangin around in there. Although yeah they wouldnt have dropped something as important as the space layer to save time, they made a firm decision beforehand most likely.

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Advanced AI and Diplomacy is in the works. There's a fine balance in getting an AI that can attack, but knows when not to.

Does that mean there could be a CtP3? :yeah: :beer:

Now that would rule if they did a good job!

no official CtP3. Only the product of a couple of years modding. Check out the Apolyton CtP2 modding forum. Its a bit busier than this one :)

Originally posted by Moff Jerjerrod

Does that mean there could be a CtP3? :yeah: :beer:

Now that would rule if they did a good job!

Unfortunatly not an official one. :(

But you can go to http://apolyton.net check out the CTP2 forum there and of course try GoodMod. BTW 'Poly is much better then CivFanatics, it is a real Civ side, because hit covers CTP1 and CTP2 and it is much more Netscape friendly, I just see this little reply window in Netscape 6.2.

-Martin

Immortal Wombat and Martin Guehmann (sorry I don't know how to make the umlaut),

I love the CtP forum at Apolyton, in fact my user name there is Haupt. Dietrich. I'm sure you've seen me over there. How are you guys! :D

Well if there is never going to be a CtP3 then I salute all who continue to mod and improve this wonderful game. :beer:

Top Bottom