Resource icon

Cultural Diversity

Bieber dismays everybody. I've removed him from my game, I just find the event very stale.

I just think we give the dude too much recognition. Give me Mothman, Bunyip, White Whales or Jack the Ripper any day.

Also in my games the Anglo-Saxons are getting invaded by a Heathen Army every turn. :p

So you removed his event because you think he gets too much recognition? Well okay then :p

It would appear that events for the AI will fire every turn in the base mod, so I have to go through and remove the World Events notifications from being called from the initial function, and move them to the outcome functions. It'll be a long process, so either put up with them, or disable the mods for now - including the Anglo-Saxons.

I removed him from the game because it's a joke that I've seen repetitively since 2011. It's a more of a personal opinion, but I just find it rather stale, like "Oh, we're still doing this?".

:crazyeye:

ok.
So here is the first idea. I know that the mediterranean group is latin and not hellenistic, but I think that this culture needs to have hellenistic creatures. I don't know if I have mistakes, so if you encountered a mistake, please fix it. I added some options in brackets.

Sphinx:
A strange creature blocks the exit and the entrance to one of our cities (if possibly, name the city). This creature has a body of a lioness, a hed of a woman, wings of eagle and a serpent-headed tail, and his name is Sphinx. It asks the people it can see a riddle:"Which creature has one voice and yet becomes four-footed and two-footed and three-footed?" If the person's answer is wrong, then the Sphinx will eat him. Our scholars found the answer ( -human,who crawls on all fours as a baby, then walks on two feet as an adult, and then uses a walking stick in old age). Our advisors recommend to send a person to the Sphinx that will say this answer, and then the city will be free again.

-We must stop this strange siege. Send him now!
-What nonsense!

I know that the original Sphinx is egyptian, but Egypt is in the mesopotamic group, and this creature doesn't fott the other civs. I am planning an event of a Lamassu- one of the most famous mesopotamic creatures. The problem is that I can't find any helpful information, so if you find something please tell me (or do an event of it by yourself).

Maybe this will help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamassu

I had both of these on my list, but I don't mind in the least that they get done before I get to them :) I did have the Sphinx on the Mesopotamic list, though, because the only Civ that comes to mind when I think of them is Egypt, and I've kinda stretched a few others so I figured it was okay.

Here's what I had on my list for Mediterranean: Chimaera, Siren, Minotaur, Catoblepas, Gorgon, Phoenix, Cyclops, Karkinos, Lamia, Pegasus. Possibly Odysseus, Orpheus and Persephone depending on the god question below.

@TPangolin: White Whale, Jack the Ripper and Bunyip are all on my list of to-dos! :)

@JFD: 2 questions. The first has to do with the Bunyip - since there's no Aboriginal group, does it go in the Colonial group? The second has to do with what can be use as mythical events - can haunted places (Amityville, Aokigahara) and/or non-creature legends (the Holy Grail) be used for events? I would think with things like the Doctor and Beiber in, there's enough leeway, but I just wanted to be sure (and also partly because I kinda wanna do Gozer/Zuul (Gatekeeper)/Vinz Clortho (Keymaster) for Mesopotamic group since they're all Sumerian gods and Vigo for Eastern. I guess that's a third question. Are gods okay, and if so, which ones? I have Rama from the Ramayana on my Bharata list, for example. Sorry for the plethora of questions, btw

I had both of these on my list, but I don't mind in the least that they get done before I get to them :) I did have the Sphinx on the Mesopotamic list, though, because the only Civ that comes to mind when I think of them is Egypt, and I've kinda stretched a few others so I figured it was okay.

Here's what I had on my list for Mediterranean: Chimaera, Siren, Minotaur, Catoblepas, Gorgon, Phoenix, Cyclops, Karkinos, Lamia, Pegasus. Possibly Odysseus, Orpheus and Persephone depending on the god question below.

@TPangolin: White Whale, Jack the Ripper and Bunyip are all on my list of to-dos! :)

@JFD: 2 questions. The first has to do with the Bunyip - since there's no Aboriginal group, does it go in the Colonial group? The second has to do with what can be use as mythical events - can haunted places (Amityville, Aokigahara) and/or non-creature legends (the Holy Grail) be used for events? I would think with things like the Doctor and Beiber in, there's enough leeway, but I just wanted to be sure (and also partly because I kinda wanna do Gozer/Zuul (Gatekeeper)/Vinz Clortho (Keymaster) for Mesopotamic group since they're all Sumerian gods and Vigo for Eastern. I guess that's a third question. Are gods okay, and if so, which ones? I have Rama from the Ramayana on my Bharata list, for example. Sorry for the plethora of questions, btw

All fine, go right ahead; there's not really a limit to what can be used; although indefinite nouns are preferable, so that they make sense with the world notification "Evidence of a/an ____ has been discovered".

The Bunyip could go in both the Oceanic and the Colonial group.

Hm. I'm betting the Doctor require a minor edit of the notification. Or not, since you could just say "a Doctor". Could they just be labeled in the notification as "A legendary figure" and be named in the event itself? Like for Rama, call his "Blue-Skinned God" but make it obvious in the write-up who I'm referring to (maybe even name him)?

Actually, I quite can. I'll make sure to include that with future suggestions! :)

Here's what I had on my list for Mediterranean: Chimaera, Siren, Minotaur, Catoblepas, Gorgon, Phoenix, Cyclops, Karkinos, Lamia, Pegasus. Possibly Odysseus, Orpheus and Persephone depending on the god question below

Thanks, but I read about the Lamassu in Wikipedia, and there is no relevant information there.

About your list, I also have many of your monsters in my list and some more, perhaps we can work together :)
The problem with some of them is, like the Lamassu, that they don't appear in stories and fables, and there is only information about them in the population's life (like Lamassus who guarded the Babylonian). I also thought about griffin, but there is no stories about him. So I recommend you to find stories about each creature, so then you can be sure that you can create an event.

JFD, what is your opinion about my idea about the Sphinx? There are grammer mistakes or not? Your opinion is one of the most important here.

I don't mind working together at all. If you beat me to something, I'll just skip it in my list. So far, I think the Mongolian Death Worm is doubled up, but that's because I didn't know JFD had already done his at the time lol

I'll give the Lamassu a shot, since I've been using some other phrases for the first option. I've stuck fast to the What nonsense! one, though.

ok.
So here is the first idea. I know that the mediterranean group is latin and not hellenistic, but I think that this culture needs to have hellenistic creatures. I don't know if I have mistakes, so if you encountered a mistake, please fix it. I added some options in brackets.

Sphinx:
A strange creature blocks the exit and the entrance to one of our cities (if possibly, name the city). This creature has a body of a lioness, a hed of a woman, wings of eagle and a serpent-headed tail, and his name is Sphinx. It asks the people it can see a riddle:"Which creature has one voice and yet becomes four-footed and two-footed and three-footed?" If the person's answer is wrong, then the Sphinx will eat him. Our scholars found the answer ( -human,who crawls on all fours as a baby, then walks on two feet as an adult, and then uses a walking stick in old age). Our advisors recommend to send a person to the Sphinx that will say this answer, and then the city will be free again.

-We must stop this strange siege. Send him now!
-What nonsense!

I know that the original Sphinx is egyptian, but Egypt is in the mesopotamic group, and this creature doesn't fott the other civs. I am planning an event of a Lamassu- one of the most famous mesopotamic creatures. The problem is that I can't find any helpful information, so if you find something please tell me (or do an event of it by yourself).

Thanks, but I read about the Lamassu in Wikipedia, and there is no relevant information there.

About your list, I also have many of your monsters in my list and some more, perhaps we can work together :)
The problem with some of them is, like the Lamassu, that they don't appear in stories and fables, and there is only information about them in the population's life (like Lamassus who guarded the Babylonian). I also thought about griffin, but there is no stories about him. So I recommend you to find stories about each creature, so then you can be sure that you can create an event.

JFD, what is your opinion about my idea about the Sphinx? There are grammer mistakes or not? Your opinion is one of the most important here.

Sorry, I meant to get back to you, but your post got buried. Your event is great; no real grammar errors, and any typographic errors I'll correct. Thanks. Will add the Sphinx to the OP.

For future reference, Hellenistic beasts are fine. You'll notice that I currently have the Hydra for one of their beasts :p

EDIT: Okay, Cultural Diversity (Core) has been updated with a few new mythical events, thanks to DonStamos and orikos, and to fix the issue with the repeating World Event (hopefully). Also, a few of the events (West-Africa, Mesoamerican, Andean, and Islamic) weren't working correctly, so those have been fixed.

Hey JFD, found a bug in the Nordics function - my Nordics civilization were starting with Tradition opened, instead of Honor.

The fix was simple - in the Lua:

local policyBranchHonourID = GameInfoTypes["POLICY_BRANCH_HONOR"]

Should be

local policyBranchHonorID = GameInfoTypes["POLICY_BRANCH_HONOR"]

I guess you were just being naturally British in your spelling ;)

Also, hi everyone! First post woohoo!

Hey JFD, found a bug in the Nordics function - my Nordics civilization were starting with Tradition opened, instead of Honor.

The fix was simple - in the Lua:

local policyBranchHonourID = GameInfoTypes["POLICY_BRANCH_HONOR"]

Should be

local policyBranchHonorID = GameInfoTypes["POLICY_BRANCH_HONOR"]

I guess you were just being naturally British in your spelling ;)

Also, hi everyone! First post woohoo!

Thanks. Fixed and updated :)

And welcome! Always good to see there are others who get use of out of my mods.

Thanks. Fixed and updated :)

And welcome! Always good to see there are others who get use of out of my mods.

Thanks JFD :)

However, there's another strange feature - while now the honor policy tree is unlocked, and I can access the other policies in it, I don't get the base bonus (the culture from barbarians and bonus against them). Before the fix I wasn't getting the +3 culture from the Tradition opener either. Is that intentional?

Btw I am testing this with your Iceland mod, which is probably my favorite :goodjob:

Thanks JFD :)

However, there's another strange feature - while now the honor policy tree is unlocked, and I can access the other policies in it, I don't get the base bonus (the culture from barbarians and bonus against them). Before the fix I wasn't getting the +3 culture from the Tradition opener either. Is that intentional?

Btw I am testing this with your Iceland mod, which is probably my favorite :goodjob:

I'll give it a more intent look and see what's up.

EDIT: It does not seem to be a problem with CulDiv, so there may be another mod you're using causing the issue.

I'll give it a more intent look and see what's up.

EDIT: It does not seem to be a problem with CulDiv, so there may be another mod you're using causing the issue.

Thanks! It appears to work now, I think I just needed to fix the typo somewhere else :)

Onwards, Icelandic warriors!

Just got the Resistance bug, playing as the Timurids with a ton of mods enabled : a bunch of your civs, More Civs, Colonial, Tomatekh, Cultural Diversity, Events and Decisions, EUI, InfoAddict, R.E.D...

If you want I can give you a full list but with so many I doubt it'd be that useful. The civs that spawned in he game (besides the Timurids) were Tomatekh's Sumer, the USSR (Stalin), Russia (Nicholas II), France (Louis XIV), Persia, the Dene and Austria (vanilla).

Edit : I now realize I should have posted in your civs thread since that's where it came up, sorry.

For some reason the Sioux begin with the colonial culture group for me. I had the same issue with the Safavids in one of the old versions (now they properly start with islamic group) so it could be an issue with this mod.

Edit: The Blackfoot have the same issue. The Shoshone are properly tribal american.

Top Bottom