[Vanilla] Culture and Tourism Guide

Nice thought. I suspect it is one pool for all but I have not watched it enough, I'll check it out
I hope there is separate pool of domestic tourists for everyone because if every civ takes tourists from one pool, the best idea to slow someone down from winning cultural is actually... not building your own tourism at all? (to not drop the culture win treshold more=making win easier for civ with more tourists collected already)

I just played a seaside victory. definately separate pools
The interesting thing was Peter was my main rival but as I only had 1 theatre I did not have much domestic tourism... He waa having to beat Chinas domestic tourism so I never opened borders or trade routed china to keep their domestic tourism higher... not that it was really a big issue... just good practice

Early game; I captured London (sorry about that Vic) with a theatre district already built. The archeological museum I built in it later had 6 slots but didn't automatically theme.

Early game; I captured London (sorry about that Vic) with a theatre district already built. The archeological museum I built in it later had 6 slots but didn't automatically theme.

It's quite a feat to theme 4-5 English museums you conquered (6 artifacts from different civs and same age), but they also support 2 Archaeologists, and all artifacts there gets theming bonuses when you theme it.

Be prepared to account for these extra slots if you massed Archaeological Museums in other cities, so some museums don't get artifact-starved.

Let me check if I get the implications of the basic mechanics right.

If I hit 100 culture per turn it will grant me 1 point of domestic tourism from that point on. Plus a burst whenever a civic eureka happens.

And if I can somehow get a tourism with a civilization to equal n*150 where n is number of civs in game, I will be getting a tourist from them every single turn, while they lose a single point of domestic tourism.

That'd be a rough rule of thumb, right?

Apart from Archaeological museum, is there any other district/building/wonder which provides Artifact slots ?

@OP - I think you should mention Oracle within the Great Writing points section. It makes Theater square district generate extra 2 Great writer points, totaling it to 3. I know it is not direct generation but I think it is worth mentioning

EDIT: Also, Lavra should be mentioned too. It provides +1 GW, GA and GM points

Last edited:
Thanks Victoria for the guide , I've never been a fan of the Cultural Victories but now that I understand them a lot more after reading your fantastic guide :goodjob::goodjob:, I enjoy these games so much more . :)

that's Great @hongyu20. I am currently playing a fun game on prince where I push culture as Victoria and rush Sea dogs which then cause havoc building myself a large navy and taking coastal cities and raiding lots of good land. A weird cultural violence and getting all those ships without building them is quite cool. The trouble is I am really just starting to enjoy myself but my cultural victory is close (18/27)
The Civs do not put up much of a cultural fight at Prince and I got too many great writers too early :(... I am thinking of selling some of my great works just so I can play longer

that's Great @hongyu20. I am currently playing a fun game on prince where I push culture as Victoria and rush Sea dogs which then cause havoc building myself a large navy and taking coastal cities and raiding lots of good land. A weird cultural violence and getting all those ships without building them is quite cool. The trouble is I am really just starting to enjoy myself but my cultural victory is close (18/27)
The Civs do not put up much of a cultural fight at Prince and I got too many great writers too early :(... I am thinking of selling some of my great works just so I can play longer
This is slightly off-topic but , what do you think of the Summer Patch changes that allowed only 1 trade route even if you have both the Commercial Hub and the Harbor , is it still worth it to build both in one city if you can get good adjacency bonuses ?

PS : So the Sea dogs are actually working ?

Yup, sea dogs working, I posted in tips and tricks forum the details.
The trade route with harbours was a bit strong, I do not miss having 20 trade routes to manage. Would be nice if they buff the harbour a bit because it gets rubbishy adjacency but I am fine, still using it.

There is a card later that buffs both harbour and cd adjacency which is nice

@OP - Cathedral only provides a slot for Religious Art, not all the types. I think you should mention that

Ok,cheers @Hitesh12 I have added it, made your lavra changes... Oracle is already mentioned but just want to check some things before I add. Made a few other tiny changes but yet to rewite for new civs and wonders. I'll add you to the credits as I appreciate corrections.

Last edited:
I'm new to the game and after playing a few domination, science and religious games I discovered this guide and now I'm in the middle of my third cultural game at king difficulty. I've found the cultural victory to be by far the most engaging and fun game to play.

One thing that puzzles me is what do I do with all the great artists that I'm getting? I get far more artists than I can possibly use and most just end up as fog busters.

I used some of the paintings to trade with other civs, but I still end up with far too many artists. I tried declining some great people, but that just seems to be a waste of great people points as the unused points don't seem to roll over to the next great person.

This guide has been invaluable Thank you for creating such a comprehensive introduction to the cultural game.

Thanks @Stevanovic ..it helped me lots mastering a CV to build the guide. And I am still learning. With game layout and option differences its never straightforward. CV does have the most variety.
Great artists are indeed mostly fog busters/ anti barb spawners so hopefully they will buff them a bit. I feel nerfing artifacts would be bad, they have already removed Mary Blakely's real aftifact bonus.
England was never a great civ but removal of Mary and Harbors is making her worse and they do nothing to remove the benefits of the OP civs.

How much tourism output did you guys manage to achieve ? In my last deity game with Egypt, i ended with something like 1750 tourism. And i freakin missed the GS for the +200% to artefact output ( i was convinced it was a GM...). Missed Cristo redemptor by 2 turns which luckily was built by my neighboor so i captured the city (only conquest in the all game, was going for a 0 conquest win.... those 2 turns...). Built Eiffel Tower and spammed maybe 20 resorts, 15 sphinx, 3 national parks and had 9 archeological museum with 7 themed. All policies for tourism active, and the +10 for campuses.

Won at T283 before any AI even launched a satelite.

And i freakin missed the GS for the +200% to artefact output
That GS (Mary leakey still says 200% but it no longer counts) Instead she gives 500 science for each artifact in your museum. Even then the 200 % was not really 200% if you read the guide carefully. Its a moot point, they have left some old text in play (fail) but she no longer provides this which probably does not cheer you up much.

What may cheer you up is the fact that I have lost a few CV this way where a Civ is just running away too fast. At least you did not loose. Only 7 themed museums... made up for by the resorts and parks. yes the online communities is a very good one and T283 is nothing to sniff at, well done.

I have won a few resort victories on deity, they are fun and a really different approach and you can fairly easily end up with 2000 tourism just from resorts. Sphinx appeal can help there... each sphinx has its own tourism but that +1 appeal makes each sphinx worth much more than that especially if feeding more than one beach tile.

I'm not into who has the largest amount of tourism game, someone will always beat me because that's a game in itself i have not played. Someone converted a whole continent into a national park, how much tourism is that!.

Top Bottom