[BERT] Curious game...

Aldor

King
I've been playing playing BE(RT) for fun for a long time, but I still learned something new in this game.

First: Losing your beacon city does not stop the countdown.
Samatar was so nice and gave me his beacon city as spoils of war, but his victory countdown still continued. The city was too large to raze in time (this happened just five turns before the end). Plus it had another wonder, so I decided to let it be and see how the game would play out.

Second: If you activate the beacon, and another player activates their beacon on the same turn, the other player will win (if you don't stop them).
I found this odd, since in the order of players, you are always first, so the victory condition should check for you first...but I guess it does not.

Overall, one of my more annoying losses.

Attachments

• 2023-09-23_113008_smaller.png
    2023-09-23_113008_smaller.png
    1 MB · Views: 42
That kind of sounds right. If he built the beacon and it wasn't physically destroyed, it's still counting.

I hadn't considered that possibility. Usually I focus on destroying the wonder (Beacon, Gate) before I take the city.
I've found that I can damage the Beacon with air power, but not destroy it. Destroying it required a land unit, either "soldier" or tank. One of my hover tanks would go on a suicide mission to knock out the wonder.

You've just proved that the Beacon continues to run, regardless of who controls it. Now I'm curious about the Mind Flower... what would happen if the builder lost control of it, while it's still connecting? For the two gates, the conqueror would have no incentive to keep using the gate.
I remember one game where Samatar had begun bringing Earthling settlers through his gate, but hadn't settled them yet. After I destroyed his city, they didn't disappear. I left them alone, in a remote corner of the map.

I've been playing BE(RT) for fun for a long time, but I still learned something new in this game.

First: Losing your beacon city does not stop the countdown.
Samatar was so nice and gave me his beacon city as spoils of war, but his victory countdown still continued. The city was too large to raze in time (this happened just five turns before the end). Plus it had another wonder, so I decided to let it be and see how the game would play out.

Second: If you activate the beacon, and another player activates their beacon on the same turn, the other player will win (if you don't stop them).
I found this odd, since in the order of players, you are always first, so the victory condition should check for you first...but I guess it does not.

I was playing a Team game with an AI as an ally. Right after I'd researched Autonomous Systems I tried to start building Master Control but couldn't, because my AI ally already was building it (i.e. the game considered my AI ally as one of my cities, and so wouldn't allow me to start building the Wonder).

Top Bottom