Moving the map on a laptop with external monitor

need my speed

Rex Omnium Imperarium
Hola peoples,

I have a laptop (so no Numpad) with an external monitor.
For some reason, the arrow keys move units, instead of the map (and, using Google, this is literally the only thing I can find; people wanting to move units with the arrow keys - I want the opposite!).
Maybe this is because my Fn key is on (FnLock is turned on in the BIOS, so I can't easily change it whenever I want to play), maybe not, I am not sure but it's something Google told me. No; even with Fn on/off the arrow keys only move the units, not the map.
However - this means I cannot easily move the map. Because I play with an external monitor, so when I move my mouse to the edge of the screen, it slides on the laptop montior / external monitor, instead of moving the map. Maybe I can find a way to confine the mouse to the in-game screen, but that is not a desirable solution.
Is there any way to tell the game that I want to move the map with the arrow keys, and not the units? Without that, the game is functionally unplayable for me.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
If I understood this well, may be your problem could be massively reduced by navigation with the mouse on the minimap.

Minimap1.jpg

On the minimap your actual screen on the monitor is shown by a white rectangle in the minimap. By clicking with the mouse on the minimap this rectangle moves to show the actual screen on the monitor. If you are "sliding over the edge" with your mouse, the minimap shows the white rectangle split like in the screenshot below:

Minimap2.jpg

May be by klicking on the minimap so the rectangle is not split any longer, you can move back the mouse to your monitor. At least you can avoid situations when the mouse is "moving over the edge".

The navigation with the mouse on the minimap holds a lot of other big advantages, especially when playing games on big maps.

Indeed, that was the only viable solution.

Until... Well, I don't know exactly how I fixed it, but after I opened the on-screen virtual keyboard and turned NumLock on there (because I have no NumLock on my keyboard), which appeared to not change anything - but when I launched the game again after some time, now I can move the map with the arrow keys again. So, I am not sure if this was the actual fix, but I want to at least document it here for posteriority - maybe this is the fix (it would make sense, in my mind, because by default the troop movement happens with the arrows on the numbers of the NumPad keys - so I figured, what if I enable NumLock, as if I have NumPad, maybe the game will be tricked in letting me use my normal arrows for map movement and the non-existing NumPad arrows for troop movement)!

Sadly on a laptop with an external monitor that doesn't work - because my mouse goes over the edge of the screen to the other monitor.
If you can tell your laptop to offset the relative position of the two monitors so that the external monitor only "joins" your laptop monitor diagonally across one corner (e.g. top right of the laptop-screen to bottom left of the external monitor), then you can carry on moving the Civ3-cursor to the right/left edge to scroll the map east/west.

If you can tell your laptop to offset the relative position of the two monitors so that the external monitor only "joins" your laptop monitor diagonally across one corner (e.g. top right of the laptop-screen to bottom left of the external monitor), then you can carry on moving the Civ3-cursor to the right/left edge to scroll the map east/west.
This is extremely intelligent. :p

Top Bottom