Custom Vikings units pack?

Guillermo Perez

Chieftain
Hello to all!

Let me introduce myself... I'm from Argentina, and I an absolute newcomer to the Civ IV world, just bought the game from Good old Games and I got really hooked with its depth. Marvelous game!!! I somewhat miss the hex-grid maps, because I am I veteran from many campaigns in Panzer General, Pacific General and more recently, Panzer Corps...

Well, there is a ton of stuff available for the newcomer in this game (mods, strategy guides,etc...) so it is difficult to find what I am looking for, some Google searches did not yielded positive results...

The thing is that I already played the Tutorial Game, and then some two or three games of the Beyond the Sword Pack, the last one I played, as the Vikings, was a blast!!! It was nice to go down the coast with the galleys and disembarking my Beserkers to pillage and set cities and improved tiles on fire!! :)

Basically I want to ask for help about the following:

a) What is the most recommended and (fun!) mod to play Civ IV BtS? For example I read something about one called Rye's and Fall of Civilization (I think it is included in the extras that the game I purchased). Suggestions and opinios will be very welcome!

b) Is there a "custom unit pack" for the vikings faction to download? (I would really love to see on the map the Viking Long Ships sailing instead of the "vanilla" galleys) :)

A big "Thank you!!" to all in advance!!

Hey hey...welcome to CFC and glad you are enjoying this great game.

This is not the mods forum. The mod forum is here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-creation-customization.158/

You can find a lot of good stuff there, including the Rhye's subform. RFC has been developed considerably over the years with many modmods like RFC Dawn of Civilization. Many other great big modpacks as well. Tons of mods for this game.

Not sure on Viking graphics, although other mods have considerable graphic changes. For the base BTS game, the BAT mod as the VD graphics (including units) as well as the UI improvements of BUG/BULL that so many players here use. I'm sure there are some specific Viking graphic stuff like there are for many other nations.

I do recommend becoming adept at the base BTS game before venturing into mods. Sounds like you are fairly new to the game, and there is much to learn. Improving and moving up difficulty with the base game can be very rewarding (ha..I've been doing it for over 10 years). So I recommend spending time in the Strategy & Tips forum here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-strategy-tips.155/

Great community here and folks love to help newer players learn. Lots of activities in the forum as well. Also, CFC sponsors Game of the Months, Hall of Fame and Succession Games of the Month (see my sig for links), which are others ways to enjoy the game in a more collaborative environments.

Mods are nice for something different, but the base game is fantastic and takes time to learn. You will be surprised how different you play the game once you even learn just a few basics. Ha.. I was terrible before I found this forum 11 years ago.

Hello Lymond! Thanks for your detailed answer, and sorry for posting this thread in the wrong sub-forum...

I was playing some "shake-down" games, the first I had to quit, because I was in a hopeless (and not fun!) situation, in the second I thought I was winning, but then the most powerful AI empires joined forces and steamrolled me... And the third was a victory by domination, I managed to take control the bigger part of the world (also launched the spaceship to Alpha Centauri, the "Well... one more turn" feature is great! Everything seems to be great about this lovely game). Also, invested no little time in reading strategy guides, focusing mainly in cities management, now I can understand better how they work to take more profit out of them.

About mods, I tried the BUG, and I find it to be a "must have" because it introduces very necessary UI improvements (units handling, information availabilty, etc...) On the other hand, I also tried the BAT mod, but I prefer to play at present just the vanilla game with the BUG mod UI improvements.

Thanks again for your advices! :)

Top Bottom