Here is the cast for this game:

Austria: Kitten Of Chaos
England: kabuki
France: Bill in PDX
Germany: Toasty
Italy: barron of ideas
Russia: oh slappy
Turkey: Pontiuth Pilate

The first deadline for order will be 2359 hours GMT Monday June 14. That is approximately 7 PM for the USA East Coast and 4 PM USA west coast.

Here is the map with provincial abbeviations and starting unit placement.

Cheers, Magnus :king:

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 443
Italy, yes, I remember, ally with Austria and Russia against Turkey, non-agress with France, dominate the Mediteranian as a sea power, then await developments.

Please email me, but I will also check my personal messages here at civ fan.

The reason to attack Turkey is that they are the other candidate for Mediteranian domination by sea. However if Austria doesn't want to play, perhaps they and Turkey want a piece of Russia, we can start waiting and seeing even earlier. Particularly as Turkey may be willing to make assurances of not wanting to be a sea power.

Of the 3 eastern and 3 western players who usually go two on one, we are the odd man out. I am open for any and all proposals, with a view toward surviving as Italy being a moral victory. And knowing that normally any gains made against Austria are wiped out when Russia and Turkey arrive. Corners are strong (Turkey, England) The time to consider the problem, if it is one, is early rather than late. Of course if they are your ally it may not be a problem.

Looking for assurances of alliance, I remain your one true friend, Italy.

"Austria is invading Serbia and that is that."

Archduke Amadeus Strudel

Is everyone okay with CCs to Magnus of all the correspondence? (Including Magnus?) Not that it should be required, but is everyone agreeable to it, if the writer so chooses?

If you wish to cc:me on correspondence, that is great, however it is not a requirement, so do as you wish...

...just remember me come order time! :)

Ugh, the Sick Man of Europe... well, I'll do my best.

As for me, I'm not in favor of Wilsonian diplomacy... "open conflicts openly arrived at". If you want to talk to me, email me [linoleumblownaparte@yahoo.com]. I've no more to say here.

Ah, and to the players who have already done me the honor of a letter, many thanks. This looks to be an interesting game... Although, let me tell you, if your initial diplomacy runs to the tune of "Let me take Greece/Rumania/your grandmother and I promise not to beat you up too badly", you're talking to the wrong guy.

Have we gotten an email address yet for England?

Cheers Folks,

Sorry for being sloppy and not leaving an e-mail address ahead of time.

It is: Walkerinthemist@yahoo.com

I have been away, as you know, due to my own wedding and honeymoon. The inbox massacre has been implemented and I should be able to spot your mails without having them disappear in the morass of new mails, but out of courtesy please put "Diplomacy" in the header. It makes my life easier.

I should be on regularily from here on out.

Just for your enjoyment here is one of the pictures from my wedding:

Take Care,

- Kabuki

Magnus said:
Congratulations!

Great Picture.

I'd like to echo Magnus and say congratulations and I wish you both all the best :)

Congratulate the groom, and wish the bride happiness. I believe the theory, as I recall it fom Georgette Heyer novels where I first learned it, was that the Groom has won a victory, while the bride of course wes not in the sort of competition where the outcome could be such that she needs congratulating.

Would it be totally culturally incorrect to ask what is the wooden thing the groom is holding in the picture? Possibilities include a syllized oar, perhaps a spatula for cooking or mixing paint, or some kind of paddle. I know the Japanese are very good a ping pong but I doubt they would make it part of a wedding ceremony. Maybe it is a fan? Doesn't much look like one, on the other hand, perhaps it was not very hot and not a lot of air needed moving. It looks like the bride has a fan, so perhaps there are sylistic differences between fans for men and women in Japan? Or is it a substitute for a sword of some kind?

The hat looks something like one I saw in a historical Korean movie recently, designed to protect a fancy hairdo, on a male noble warrior from being mussed, while he engaged in all sorts of noble warrior activities. Although this noble warrior does not seem to have the appropriate hair style to make the hat functional.

The wooden object has several different interpretations depending on the context in which you discuss it. In a religious (shinto) interpretetaion it is a phallic fertility symbol and in a social/political context it is a symbol of autority (not so distantly related to the former, religious meaning). The outfit I am wearing is a formal court outfit from the Heian period (ca 1100) and the clothing is probably similar to court clothing in China and Korea at the time as both countries heavily influenced Japan in terms of court fashion, knowledge, etiquette and so on.

As for my hairdo... mmm... :) I'll do fine without the topknot.

Aside from discussing fashion...

What format are we submitting our orders in? Do we use RP and the .dpy format for everything or how is it?

- Kabuki - British Barbarian Subduing Generalissimo

I am copying my orders right out of the Reapolitik program. You can find all the orders currently on the board by pressing Ctrl-D.

So, for example, the Turkish Pinwheel:

Turkey:
F Ankara - Constantinople
A Constantinople - Smyrna
A Smyrna - Ankara

We had a perfect first turn. :goodjob:

Orders Received

Germany - Toasty
A(Ber)-Kie
F(Kie)-Den
A(Mun)-Ruh

France - Bill in PDX
A Mar – Spa
A Par – Pic
F Bre – Mid

Turkey - Pontiuth Pilate
A Constantinople - Bulgaria
A Smyrna - Ankara

Austria - kittenOFchaos
A Vie - Gal
A Bud - Ser
F Tri - Ven

England - kabuki
Edi F -> NWG (NWS)
Lon F -> NTH (NTS)
Lvp A -> EDI

Russia - Oh Slappy
A Moscow - Ukraine
F Sevastopol - Black Sea
F St Petersburg(sc) - Gulf of Bothnia
A Warsaw - Galicia

Italy - barron of ideas
Fleet Naples to Ionian Sea,
Army Rome to Apulia, and
Army Venice supports army Rome to Apulia.

Adjudication

Austria:
A Budapest - Serbia
F Trieste - Venice (*Fails*)
A Vienna - Galicia (*Bounce*)

England:
F Edinburgh - Norwegian Sea
A Liverpool - Edinburgh
F London - North Sea

France:
F Brest - Mid-Atlantic Ocean
A Marseilles - Spain
A Paris - Picardy

Germany:
A Berlin - Kiel
F Kiel - Denmark
A Munich - Ruhr

Italy:
F Naples - Ionian Sea
A Rome - Apulia
A Venice Supports A Rome - Apulia (*Cut*)

Russia:
A Moscow - Ukraine
F Sevastopol - Black Sea
F St Petersburg(sc) - Gulf of Bothnia
A Warsaw - Galicia (*Bounce*)

Turkey:
A Constantinople - Bulgaria
A Smyrna - Ankara
Fall, 1901 Orders due 2359 hours GMT 21 June :king:

Please note, I am only including the final map here to save space at CFC, the players' e-mail will have both images (moves included) and the RP file as well.

Attachments

• dd102.jpg
    dd102.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 367
Rather than send 6 chattly and information filled emails, one to each friendly competitor, let me merely say, I have no idea what is going on here and depend on the kindness of strangers, well strange players, to explain what you think is going on. Except for Turkey probably letting its life expentancy drop beyond normal, by enjoying, if that is the right word, a Russian Fleet in the Black Sea, there is no tipoff of impending hostilities I can find in anyones move. Well, Trieste to Venice no harm, no foul, eyeballs will be handed back cheerfully to their original owners at the end of the fight.

And what is the meaning of the little stand-off in Galacia. Ah, but they wanted us to think they were fighting. Maybe.

England and France look friendly, at least not unfriendly. Our Channel correspondent has nothing to channel. Will Belgium lead to Franco-German hard feelings? Only Time, Life and the US News and World Report will tell. Will Russia be stood off in Sweden by Germany. Is England going north, or will he intervene in Belgium? (damn pronouns, can't make up my mind to use he, she or it.) OK, lets be inconsistent, why not, the alliance structure seems to be.

Now a word from our sponsor: "Nobody hates italy, nobody fears italy, everyone agrees it would be very difficult to conquer Italy." (Our polling indicates this commercial is well received everywhere except Turkey. We don't know if this situation will improve with repitition, or if the Russian fleet in the Black Sea will impede futher polls in that country.)

Remember, whatever information you send me will be blabbed on-line immediately. As part of our service to increase the utility of keeping italy alive. Unless, of course it is confidential, and I can remember it is. As no-one has sent me any confidential information, I have not been tested yet.

Notice to all: I advise you only reply to "Richard Shagrin" when he is writing from the following email: richardshagrin {at} excite {dot com}, the one given us by our GM.

I don't doubt that the second email, Richard {at} everguardins {dot com}, is also the real Richard; however, it's just a little confusing and there's no need for it ;)

I work at Everguard, Mon-Fri aprox 8 am to 5 pm. If you want my attention 24/7 use the excite address. It is the real richard at either place. Or as real as I get.

edit I used to work there. Messages sent to that address will not reach me, for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom