• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dangerous Hunting - Epic animal fights!

Well then I'll just continue with my current game till you figure it out. ;)

JosEPh :)

No, it's OK, the modmod works fine, but I can't follow the AI progress to check whether it's still only building scouts or if it's better.

Here are the changes:

1.04 (10/06)
- Doubled the base strength of every hunter unit. Animals strength has also been adjusted to about 170% of what it was in 1.03. Regular units will have a much harder time against animals now while hunters shouldn't be too affected.
- Explorer units no longer have a Hunter combat class. Hope it will help with the AI.
- Hunting Instruction & Master Hunter tradition now only give Hunter 1 to hunter units
- Squashed a number of small bugs and a few other very minor adjustments

Okay got it. Guess I need to start a New Game now. :p Both games I've started have been some of the better maps I've had with PM in awhile, go figure! :lol:

JosEPh

For some ODD reason if i d/l with Explorer it is an attachment, but under Firefox, its a 7zip, ??

Also noticed that the Invisible units Rogue and Thief , the animals can see and attacked them, is this in YOUR modmod, or is this now C2C??

For some ODD reason if i d/l with Explorer it is an attachment, but under Firefox, its a 7zip, ??

The file is a .7z, you just have to extract it into My_Mods.

Also noticed that the Invisible units Rogue and Thief , the animals can see and attacked them, is this in YOUR modmod, or is this now C2C??

Some animals (felines, wolves...) can now indeed see camouflaged units; all hunters units also have camouflage. It's specific to this modmod AFAIK.

Some animals (felines, wolves...) can now indeed see camouflaged units; all hunters units also have camouflage. It's specific to this modmod AFAIK.

I'm not sure if making Hunter's carmoflaged is something desirable. Most of the units that can see them are really strong, Bears, Felines, Wolves etc. This will reduce attacks from weak animals, thus makes hunting with this modmod even harder as you miss out tons of XP from suicide Pidgeons. If this was intendet then very good, nice thinking here:goodjob:

Like I mentioned, its an "attachment" only, and not a file, its listed as a php or something that had to be read by Adobe. Not a 7Zip USING explorer, but like I mentioned, it works fine with Firefox. .

Simple answer: don't use Internet Explorer. :)

- Explorer units no longer have a Hunter combat class. Hope it will help with the AI.
Um... huh? Explorers are both hunters and recon. Recon is scouts. Hunters is hunters. Explorers is both. It was always meant to be the category that includes both of them. It won't manipulate the AI in any way as the AI is looking at unit AI settings. What's the problem with the AI you're trying to fix?

Um... huh? Explorers are both hunters and recon. Recon is scouts. Hunters is hunters. Explorers is both. It was always meant to be the category that includes both of them. It won't manipulate the AI in any way as the AI is looking at unit AI settings. What's the problem with the AI you're trying to fix?

By "explorers" I meant units in the recon line (wanderer, scout, guide, explorers). By the way, Explorer seems to require Advanced Diplomacy for some reason.

The problem is that in my previous test game every AI civ never built any hunting units, but lots and lots of Scouts, like tens of them. Even prioritize them over buildings. No need to say it performs pathetically, even with a big bonus against animals.

I've attempted to look a bit at the AI code, among other things I saw that the AI should always try to build at least 1 hunter unit. So I thought it could be caused by the AI still considering Scouts as good hunting units (in core it's true, in this modmod they won't do a thing to animals) due to them having a hunter combat class and/or a hunter unitAI. That's why I removed both from every unit in the recon line. I've started a new game with those changes, but unfortunately I can't make the world builder work so this time I don't know how the AI is doing yet (mid-Prehistoric).

Anyway, if you have some ideas on what could be causing this and how to fix it, I'd be glad to have your thoughts on the matter.

By "explorers" I meant units in the recon line (wanderer, scout, guide, explorers). By the way, Explorer seems to require Advanced Diplomacy for some reason.

The problem is that in my previous test game every AI civ never built any hunting units, but lots and lots of Scouts, like tens of them. Even prioritize them over buildings. No need to say it performs pathetically, even with a big bonus against animals.

I've attempted to look a bit at the AI code, among other things I saw that the AI should always try to build at least 1 hunter unit. So I thought it could be caused by the AI still considering Scouts as good hunting units (in core it's true, in this modmod they won't do a thing to animals) due to them having a hunter combat class and/or a hunter unitAI. That's why I removed both from every unit in the recon line. I've started a new game with those changes, but unfortunately I can't make the world builder work so this time I don't know how the AI is doing yet (mid-Prehistoric).

Anyway, if you have some ideas on what could be causing this and how to fix it, I'd be glad to have your thoughts on the matter.
Yeah. Recon should never have the hunter AI and vice versa. No unit should be both unless they can truly perform the role of both and then it's likely to be always picked or never picked depending on how strong it is. You were smart to take the Explorer UNIT off of any reference to hunting, both in CC and in AI. And you've done the right thing to remove Hunter AI and Combat Classes on any recon line unit.

Yeah. Recon should never have the hunter AI and vice versa. No unit should be both unless they can truly perform the role of both and then it's likely to be always picked or never picked depending on how strong it is. You were smart to take the Explorer UNIT off of any reference to hunting, both in CC and in AI. And you've done the right thing to remove Hunter AI and Combat Classes on any recon line unit.
I've seen this too, in the unit xml, and wondered why it was set up like that. I will introduce this change to the SVN soon. ^^

@Rwn,

Well into a v1.04 Dangerous Animals with revised Pests and Disease game. Game on Epic is at 280BC Mid to late Ancient and I have yet to meet any other AI. The game does announce that so and so Great Hunter was just born so I know there are AI out there. Exploration has been greatly curtailed, I think was one of your goals. And each city founded must 1st have the area animal pop significantly reduced to succeed.

My really only gripe so far, hawks and ravens and how quickly they can dispatch Galleys and War Galleys. They are much more an impediment to coastal exploration than any of the Sea Animals. And frankly I have a hard time seeing Ravens and Hawks taking out fighting Sailing ships.

When I finally meet another AI then I'll be able to gauge, what you have in this version, is still to hard on the AI.

JosEPh :)

It is now 60 AD. I have built 16 cities and still have not met a single AI out of the 10 I set up at game start. I may have been placed on a northern tundra/forest continent all by my self. I have not looked into World Builder.

Screenshot of my "Known" world so far below. Just got Rangers too.

JosEPh

I had that issue on at least two occasions, but in the first, I was on a southern taiga by myself (and eventually the Maya, who popped out of a barbarian city), whilst in the second, I was on a similar northern territory and had to wait until caravels before I met anyone.

I have a gut "feeling" that the AI is still struggling with this Modmod.

Time will tell.

JosEPh

I'm using 1.04 in latest game.

JosEPh

@Rwn,

When you get to come back I want you to know that v1.04 the AI are doing just Fine. Nice adjustment.

The only real "gripe" I have is the hawks, str 6 is a bit much. Especially when they take out war galleys, which they seem to have penchant for. :p

JosEPh

Top Bottom