Darius I - King of the World

sman1975

Emperor
This is the collaboration area for the Custom Civ mod 'Darius I / Extreme Persia'.

Mod is a work in progress, so we're using this forum to exchange information, suggestions, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial Design:

Civ: Extreme Persia (temp name)

Leader: Great Darius I, King of the World

UA:
- Golden Ages last 500% longer
- During a Golden Age, units receive +10 Movement and a +100% Combat Strength bonus
- All ranged units receive +1 range

UU1: Immortal - 25 Combat Strength (up from Immortal base 12, generic Spearman 11). Heals at 400% rate.

UU2: Great Bombard. Renaissance era Siege Unit. Only these Persians may train it. Has one additional range over the Cannon and a significantly larger bonus against Cities, but is inherently weaker. Unlocks earlier but is more costly to produce.

UB1: Scientific Paradise (Satrap's Court) - Replaces Bank. Adds +20 Gold, Happiness, Culture, and Science.

UB2: Royal Garden - Replaces Garden. Does not require River. +50% Great People generation.

Some other adjustments include enhanced Knight and Rifleman units, giving them greater Combat Strength. Additionally, this mod changes the normal upgrade of Pikemen to Musketmen, no Lancers.

Download Link: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/extreme-persia.27736/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note:
- This mod is being developed at the request of @ Adam Jensen 007 on Steam
- Yes, the Civ is OP. This is by design...
- Will probably publish a separate mod later, more balanced to other Civs

Last edited:
First Draft Artwork

Civ Icon:
upload_2019-8-15_21-16-0.jpeg

Leader Icon:
upload_2019-8-15_21-3-51.jpeg

Diplomatic Screen:
upload_2019-8-15_21-4-12.jpeg

Civ Map:
upload_2019-8-15_21-16-18.jpeg

Dawn of Man:
upload_2019-8-15_21-22-56.jpeg

Great Bombard (UU2) Icon:
upload_2019-8-16_11-39-46.jpeg

Scientific Paradise (UB1) Icon:
upload_2019-8-16_11-31-49.jpeg

Royal Garden (UB2) Icon:
upload_2019-8-16_11-32-9.jpeg

Note: Need to select specific icon for each building

Last edited:
Great Work friend
The Rfleman we can call them Modern Heavy Immortal has March Promotion and 50 combat strength
Knight we can call Persian Cataphract
Awesome

Edit: I think the mod will work with NQ mod where honor policy tree is changed
Could you please test the mod at quick speed as well?
Thanks

Last edited:
Am concerned the Rifleman unit's name is too long to show up correctly on the unit UI. Can we call it 'Modern Immortal' instead?

For the UU "Immortal" - do you want to use the same model as the normal Civ Persia? If you saw a different model you'd like to substitute, let me know which one.

Also - we need to decide which colors to use. I need 2: foreground and background. If you look at the Civ Icon at the top, the foreground is a type of yellow, the background a type of green. Shall we stick with these, or shall I recolor the icon (no trouble, really)?

Many Custom Civ mods add their own music (peacetime, wartime, etc.). If you know of any music in a mod you like, let me know.

I'm building the new mod as we speak. The "basic" mod won't take very long (4 hours), but adding all those ancient replacement models add a few hours to this number - mostly for testing...

Also, I expect to interactively release this mod - meaning I'll release a "rough Beta" version for you to test. Then you'll tell me all the things you want changed, then I'll release another version. This will go on a few times until you get it exactly where you want it.

BTW - I may also release a "normal" version of this mod, when it's all completed - just in case anyone wants to play this beautiful Custom Civ, but in a more balanced way.

EDIT: please take a look at the icons in post #2 and let me which ones you want to be that final icon for the Bombard and two buildings. Thanks.

Also - do you want to call the Civ "Persia" or some other variant (e.g. Achaemenid Empire, etc.). It's probably best to not use the simple name "Persia" - but use an adjective or alternate name, so as not to confuse players. Maybe "Ultimate Persia" or "Persia Transcendent" or "Persia Unrivaled" or "Extreme Persia" etc. Just looking for a name so the mod stands out against all the other Persian civs out there.

Last edited:
Here is the current version:
upload_2019-8-16_13-8-14.jpeg

Am assuming the color scheme is acceptable, but this can be changed later without much effort.

Am also assuming that we will use normal Persia's Immortal unit icon for this Civ, too?

One thing I've noticed already: City names. Most of the Persia mods use the exact same name for cities as Vanilla Persia. This means if you're playing with this Persia in a game with Vanilla Persia, you'll run out of city names much faster. I'll add as many city names as I can (I think I'm to about 40 right now), but there may be a shortage in a game with both Persias. FYI...

And for the Leader's "Flavors" (the values that help the AI know how to play the Civ) - shall I reuse Vanilla Darius' numbers? Or do you want to make him more aggressive, mad, devious, etc.? This only applies to AI, not the human player. Reason I ask is Vanilla Darius has a "Ranged Combat" flavor of 5, which means he uses this about average, when compared to other civs (scale is 0..9). With a great trait of +1 range for all ranged units, it seems to me we should bump that to 8 or so...

The UB's - they replace in game buildings, but are dramatically more beneficial. Shall I keep the costs the same as their corresponding buildings, or bump the price higher? If so, how much?

Last edited:
Mod Update: at this point, I've completed the base mod, with the new Civ, Leader, Buildings, Trait, and Text updated. Artwork is complete. Have added the new Bombard Unit and the replacement Immortal unit (which still uses the Vanilla Immortal artwork).

To Do: still need to test all of this to see if anything is broken. Also, need to add the replacement models. All of this is fairly low-risk, and I hope to have it done in the next few hours. Assuming "life" doesn't get in the way... :lol:

I solved the city name problem by simply adding a bunch of new names from the various Persia mods out there. With 49 total city names, this probably won't be an issue, even if Vanilla Persia is in the game. Mod looks pretty good, actually. I'm starting to look forward to working on the "balanced" version of this...

Screenshots from testing:

Civ Selection:
upload_2019-8-16_16-24-28.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_16-24-40.jpeg

Dawn of Man Screen:
upload_2019-8-16_16-25-3.jpeg

Initial City UI:
upload_2019-8-16_16-25-44.jpeg

Royal Garden (UB, Garden Replacement):
upload_2019-8-16_16-26-16.jpeg

Scientific Paradise (UB, Bank Replacement) - Before and After Pictures:
upload_2019-8-16_16-26-59.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_16-27-13.jpeg

Ranged Unit with Promotion:
upload_2019-8-16_16-32-17.jpeg

Civilopedia Entries:

upload_2019-8-16_16-28-33.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_16-28-44.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_16-28-56.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_16-29-7.jpeg

BTW - "Extreme Persia" is simply a working title. Please find a better one! :lol:

Still playing around with the Bombard's settings. Customizing the attack animations to make it look cooler...

Quick question: is the Great Bombard a replacement unit for the Cannon, or is it a new Unique Unit?

If it's a new unit, I'll need to get its stats (strength, range, prereq tech, obsolete tech, any resource requirements, building in city required, etc.).

GB Screenshots:
upload_2019-8-16_17-25-36.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_17-25-49.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_17-26-1.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_17-26-14.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_17-26-27.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_17-27-35.jpeg

Last edited:
The +400% healing rate for the new Immortal unit isn't quite working. I can't find a decent promotion to accomplish this, so we have 2 choices: design a different combination of existing promotions to make these units equally devastating, or design a new promotion.

Since there are ways a new promotion could be game breaking if paired with other mods, I'd recommend using a mix of existing promotions, such as:
1. Double healing rate (same as Vanilla Immortal)
2. Charge (+25% bonus vs. damaged units)
3. March (heal while moving)

Could also add this one, if you really want to make these units OP:
4. Heal if Destroy an Enemy: Heals all damage if kills a non-Barbarian unit (Like the Ottoman Janissary Unit)

The mix of promotions is a lot safer than a new promotion, but the new promotion isn't a problem if you don't mind the added possibility of game breaking. New promotion takes about 15 minutes, mostly getting artwork together. A mix takes nothing extra at all.

Screenshots:
upload_2019-8-16_18-15-27.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_18-15-39.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_18-15-53.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_18-18-19.jpeg upload_2019-8-16_18-18-34.jpeg

Of course, all the stats, names, etc., are all placeholders until we go final.

Update. Mod is basically completed. All units added/tested. Last item to fix before release is a persistent problem with the War Chariot unit. For some reason, the Spearman's spear is floating in front of the chariot... :crazyeye: Still tweaking this, but will probably give up on it if it's not fixed in the next couple of hours.

upload_2019-8-17_9-45-27.jpeg

Pikemen now upgrade to Musketmen:

upload_2019-8-17_9-42-48.jpeg

More Units:
upload_2019-8-17_11-33-49.jpeg upload_2019-8-17_11-34-1.jpeg

Still cleaning up text, testing, etc. Need to go final on the exact Civ and Leader names.

Last edited:
awesome mod! can you make a steam workshop version of this as well?
I have another idea for mod as well extreme Canada. I don't like Canada's bonuses on the other mod so yours will look better
2 versions looks fine
-1) one is the OP version has all the stuff
2) the Normal version please keep the +1 range for the cannon though and a small boost to Satrap Court so (normally Satrap has +2 happiness and +3 gold and 25% gold) This version +3 happiness +4 gold and +2 Science. Also allow immortal to keep march combat strength of 12 but pikeman upgrades into musketman.
Thanks again

Last edited:
if The War Chariot's Spearmen have a problem keeping their spears from floating in front of the chariot. Am working on it...is too hard then just delete it
Name Darius The Great King of the World
you can please add ". Heal if Destroy an Enemy: Heals all damage if kills a non-Barbarian unit (Like the Ottoman Janissary Unit)"
Also please make sure immortal retains the promotions when upgraded into musketman...rifleman
Does the +! range work on all ranged units?
Thank you so much

Last edited:
Top Bottom