Debuffs

ampmclock

Warlord
So apparently certain civs are getting buffed in this expansion, which sounds nice. I guess England is getting an extra spy, along with England's abilities just over all being more useful now with the new game mechanics.

So I have two questions, one, what are the other buffss?
And two, has anyone heard rumors about DEbuffing certain civs? France, cough cough?
Maybe drop their ability to just ONE culture per city? Or maybe not give france the two best units in the game?

I don't know, but yeah, who do you think deserves to be buffed and who deserves to be debuffed?

I think France won't lost their +2:c5culture: per city . One civ I hope they debuff somehow is Babylon .

I doubt they'd touch Babylon. All of the DLC civs are slightly better than their vanilla counterparts. It is an incentive to buy them. They probably could use debuffing though.

So apparently certain civs are getting buffed in this expansion, which sounds nice. I guess England is getting an extra spy, along with England's abilities just over all being more useful now with the new game mechanics.

So I have two questions, one, what are the other buffss?
And two, has anyone heard rumors about DEbuffing certain civs? France, cough cough?
Maybe drop their ability to just ONE culture per city? Or maybe not give france the two best units in the game?
France used to have only 1 culture per city, but it was so weak that they got buffed to two.
It's an useful ability but by no means OP. you'll get some territory and a couple of policies earlier and that's pretty much it.It just stops with setam power and they don't even have a UB. If some civs need to be nerfed France isn't one of them.
Aztecs are the strongest of all non DLC civs., They profit immensely from barbarian hunting and have a UU that is practically tailored for that task, and their UB is second to none. I guess they could change their ability from culture per kill to faith per kill and significantly reduce the yield so they don't get always first pick for beliefs or religions.
The Arabs could also use some changes. A new religion bonus would suit them, and Bazaars could be nerfed. Right now they are a much better version of the Dutch UA.

Songhai will lose a bit since now all embarked units can defend, but even without that advantage they are a pretty strong civ. They have a good UB, a Good UU and they can just buy their first settler after clearing four or five barbarian encampments. Maybe they could get a bit (but just a little bit) of faith for every killed barbarian/unit if the Aztec abiility doesn't get changed.

The Ottomans should get a completely new ability because their current one just sucks, but that's pretty much public opinion since the game was released. They are also one of the core civs that are strongly associated with religion.

Atzec need to stop their UA at a certain tech (like France) imho.

I believe the correct word is 'nerf(ed)'. ;)

I don't imagine much would be nerfed, as general game balance changes would probably aim to account for existing overpowered civs.

I believe the correct word is 'nerf(ed)'. ;)

It is. To "debuff" is to inflict a status ailment.

I came to this thread expecting someone was suggesting we add the ability to poison or blind enemy units. I am severely disappointed. :(

Aztecs are nowhere near France in immortal/deity.

How ?
I mean what are the usual strategies to use France's full potential ? Using Liberty for REX ?

Atzec need to stop their UA at a certain tech (like France) imho.

Wouldn't really change much. Once barbarians become rare and you gain access to more culture buildings it's a drop in the bucket anyway, but it let's you breeze through your first few policies. 12 :c5culture: (with Honor) per killed brute is huge during the first 100 or so turns.
After that you still have Floating Gardens and potentially max Tradition. You'll never worry about food again. What makes the Aztecs so strong is the synergy between their UA, UU and UB.

Perhaps the Japanese will need to be debuffed, depending upon how they will play with the new health points.

I don't think they'll need to be. Bushido isn't as overpowered as it sounds. Unless you're really fighting a war of attrition with near-dead units on both sides, the Japanese bonus isn't that severe. And now you'll have a better chance of your units getting away from the Japanese instead of just getting one-shotted (or plinked to death by ancient units).

Babylon still needs a nerf. And Japan may need one. But I sort of doubt it will happen.

About Japan: I hope that extra survivability means a heavier penalty for damaged units, so that effective strength decreases at the same rate it does now. Even then, I don't believe that they would need to be nerfed. It's a cool UA, but it's the only thing they have (aside from the brief military golden age with samurais).

Someone brought up in another thread that Bushido could be changed to something like giving faith when wounded units attack instead of the damage bonus, or have some damage bonus along with it but less.

That seems both annoyingly situational and something that would overlap far too much with the Celts.

With the expected nerfs to GS and indirectly RAs and the dragging out of fights I wonder if the game might not turn into a "go puppet the whole world" game no matter what victory you are going for. This is, because if you go for Diplomatic, Cultural or Science in G&K I believe you'll actually have a lot of spare time where you can't do anything to achieve your victory faster - apart from Puppeting. Just what I currently fear. If it turns out true, some warmonger civs/strong units might better be slightly nerfed; I doubt though it's gonna happen (at least not at release anyway).

With the expected nerfs to GS and indirectly RAs and the dragging out of fights I wonder if the game might not turn into a "go puppet the whole world" game no matter what victory you are going for. This is, because if you go for Diplomatic, Cultural or Science in G&K I believe you'll actually have a lot of spare time where you can't do anything to achieve your victory faster - apart from Puppeting. Just what I currently fear. If it turns out true, some warmonger civs/strong units might better be slightly nerfed; I doubt though it's gonna happen (at least not at release anyway).

What expected nerf to Great Scientists? I really hope there is a nerf (could act like a completed RA), but I haven't heard anything about it.

Top Bottom