Default for the name in my game.

barbslinger

Gun blast'n shot drinker
Each time I start a custom game I have to change the name from some gibberish to Slinger. Is there a way to config this to always come up Slinger?

It's using either the name of your drive/volume or the name of your computer as your default username, which to me is very silly, and what's worse is that it doesn't "remember" the values you enter on that screen. It would seem like it should use your profile or "remember" - but it doesn't seem to do either.

You might try the 'Play Now' option unless you're truly going for a custom game, since unless you're truly customizing the end results are the same.

It picks up your computer name. If you're not on a network, and you're running XP, you can right-click on My Computer, go to Properties, click Computer Name, and rename your computer (in the computer description field) to whatever you want your default name to be. If you are on a network, ask your network admin before doing this.

I'm not certain that it's not somehow storing the computer name that is present at the time of install, so it's possible that you will change the computer name and it will still keep the old name - in which case I would think that poking around in the XML files for the game for your computer name and changing it there would fix the problem. This is just a guess, so don't cry to me if it doesn't work :lol:

It uses your computer’s network name, as do 90% of other games (the other ten use a general preset). Mine is XANA so my default name is XANA.

hey guys,

easy to change:

Go to My Documents, look for My Games, and for the Civilization IV folder inside it. There is a file named CivilizationIV.ini.

Open the file with Notepad, go down until you find something like this:

"; Game Name
GameName = xxxxxxx

; Save Path - relative to working (Civ4) folder
FileName = 0

; Account Username
Nickname = xxxxxxxx

; Email Address
Email = xxxxxxxxxxx

; In-game Alias
Alias = xxxxxxxxxxxx"

Change the names to whatever you like. That will be your default names.

You are welcome! :goodjob:

The Rebel:goodjob:

hey guys,

easy to change:

Go to My Documents, look for My Games, and for the Civilization IV folder inside it. There is a file named CivilizationIV.ini.

Open the file with Notepad, go down until you find something like this:

"; Game Name
GameName = xxxxxx

; Save Path - relative to working (Civ4) folder
FileName = 0

; Account Username
Nickname = xxxxxx

; Email Address
Email =

; In-game Alias
Alias = xxxxxxxx"

Change the names to whatever you like. That will be your default names.

You are welcome! :goodjob:

The Rebel:goodjob:

Thanks, that's easy enough - but it still seems odd that it doesn't use the profile for this!

You'd think it would default to your login name, not the computer name.

Top Bottom