Defensive pact with the natives

Blanchflower

Prince
OK, I have a question to ask. Currently, I am playing in the easiest difficulty level and have yet to win a single game.

However, I noticed that if you meet some natives, there is an option to sign defensive pacts with them but for with other natives, this is not possible. I tried to give these natives gold but they still would not sign this defensive agreement with me.

What is the reason for this? By the way, I am playing in a tiny map, so I am the only colonial nation in the game but have yet to win the game purely without using the "infamous" word builder!

:confused:

OK, I have a question to ask. Currently, I am playing in the easiest difficulty level and have yet to win a single game.

However, I noticed that if you meet some natives, there is an option to sign defensive pacts with them but for with other natives, this is not possible. I tried to give these natives gold but they still would not sign this defensive agreement with me.

What is the reason for this? By the way, I am playing in a tiny map, so I am the only colonial nation in the game but have yet to win the game purely without using the "infamous" word builder!

:confused:

Some of them are very picky about relations, when thinking about to sign a DP. The only chance to get it up (beside grabbing one or both of the two FFs which boost it) ist having shared a war with them in the past.

Some of them are very picky about relations, when thinking about to sign a DP. The only chance to get it up (beside grabbing one or both of the two FFs which boost it) ist having shared a war with them in the past.

OK, thanks! I played a game on the easiest difficulty, tiny map (so I was the only European colonist) and around 150 turns into the game, I was able to sign defensive pacts with ALL natives without any exception!

With regards to some natives, I found out that I could sign defensive pacts immediately upon meeting them, but with other natives, you have to be at peace with them for a long time before signing a defensive pact.

By the way, I won my first game here on easiest difficulty without any cheats and it was very satisfying!

:goodjob:

The Indians wont help you against the king.

I know you're new to the game but they only fight each other or the other colonists.

But they dont help the King either! :lol:

The Tupi and Cherokee will always offer defensive pacts right off the bat, up to Explorer level at least. Most other tribes you will probably have to get relations to Friendly.

I'm always happy when I land next to the Tupi or Cherokee, as I know I'm immediately able to sign a pact and start working towards those +2 relations points you get after a while.

Other ways to improve relations:
Trade with them, sell muskets, maybe give away some trade goods or tools. Get Pocahontas, Williams and Penn in your Continental Congress.

If you have a European rival nearby, you can ask the natives to attack that rival after a while. It will cost you something like 1000-3000 gold. They declare war and will eventually ask you to join you in the fight. Of course at that point you're ready with a few cannons and happily agree to join. Now you've got + for coming to their aid and additional +s for a mutual military struggle.

The native tribes can be of use against your king, but their usefullness is determine where your and their settlement are located. If you've got a sizable native tribe, armed, on your side and between you and the King. Friendship can be a wonderfull thing.

On the flip side, a coastal native city not at war with your king can be a real pain when the REF is unloaded in the city and then starts moving out.

I have managed to get defensive pacts with every single native group....and then, they don't help me during the revolution! They seem to help if I go to war with another European. But when the King invades they stay away....oh well.

The natives, as far as i can tell, don't go to war against people who are much stronger then them.
This means the REF are friggin strong men with Cannons. A lot of them. Other colonies'll help though :)

Top Bottom