Defensive Pacts still broken.

Peng Qi

Emperor
Defensive Pacts still fail to cover multiple declarations of war in the same turn. With all the diplomatic enhancements you'd think they would have addressed this simple issue. Imagine if in World War 1, when Russia declared war on Austria, Germany and the Ottomans had joined in the war against Russia but told Austria they were on their own against Britain and France. It's pretty silly if you ask me.

I'd love to see CiV add coalitions to the game wherein one player can ask others to join their coalition, which would act as a proper alliance (although could be abandoned at any time).

I suppose the problem becomes what if you come up with a weird alliance and sign DP with civs that will end up being on both sides of the conflict. How would the game handle it?

For example, as America you sign pacts with England and Russia. Germany attacks England, you declare war, then but Germany also had a DF with Russia. Russia had a DF with England so now you would be at war with all of them.

Doesn't seem right. I think thats why it expires at the first sign of war on either side to avoid situations like that.

I think there's an issue with timers on DP though, I had to keep resigning them because the original timers seem to kick in even though I re-new a DP after a round of warring.

Mentioned this a few times around the various DP complaint threads, I haven't got much feed back on it. Which is strange.

I suppose the problem becomes what if you come up with a weird alliance and sign DP with civs that will end up being on both sides of the conflict. How would the game handle it?

For example, as America you sign pacts with England and Russia. Germany attacks England, you declare war, then but Germany also had a DF with Russia. Russia had a DF with England so now you would be at war with all of them.

Doesn't seem right. I think thats why it expires at the first sign of war on either side to avoid situations like that.
It should just favor the defender over the attacker. In your example:

Germany attacks England, you declare war on Germany because England is defending. Russia declares war on you, causing England to go to war with Russia rather than you going to war with England, since the game would hopefully favor the defender. End result would be Germany and Russia at war with you and England.

Although again it would be a lot simpler with coalitions instead of defense pacts.

Top Bottom