deity: any win abusing trade

alexess

Chieftain
hi guys thought i could share some tips on how i win at civ 5 deity where the only problem is the wait between turns :) or the occasional wipe in case of war in the first 50 turns.
in a way this thread is a COMPLETE SPOILER, and you'll prolly end up not playing anymore.
general settings for the game: the more civs,the more research agreement.the bigger the map,the more unlikely an early wipe.set barbarians on very bad or whatever is called,this make things faster.i play on pangea,less effort to meet the other civ.
here we go.
you'll prolly start with a special resource or a couple near your capital,and you'll find horses and iron later,just get a town there cos they are basic for early money.set science to get to work these.
now start trading with IA, whatever money you get is ok, 240g is the usual even if some civ no matter how friendly they are,will offer less. now trade that 240g for gold per turn- u should get 8, but even if its less its not a problem,just longer.
eventually barbarians will come and destroy your job on the resource you traded,blowing the trade...but not te one where you keep the gold per turn. rebuild the camp,mine or whatever on the resource and trade it again plus your gold per turn,and turn it again in gold per turn.barbarians will do their job,so even if you'll end up surrounded by them, try not to kill them unless you start starving.you can stop using them as soon as you develop the science to destroy your resource enhancement on your own but there's a backdraft on doing that on your own:every 2 turns it goes down instantly and the next it will take the turns as shown in the panel so if you do the trick with,like, 6 resources and 2 horse camps keeping track of this becomes annoying.after a while of this start buying favor with city states instant allies should not be a problem with your cash. BE CAREFUL NOT TO ALLY WITH THOSE WHO SHARE YOUR RESOURCES or when barbarians blow the resource you provide the city will provide theirs and the agreement will continue if this happens....well declare war on them.
.After the patch IA tends not to accumulate big health so you'll have to do things the other way around- give them a lot of gold (you should have a lot in 50/60 turns) in exchange for gold per turn which you'll take away the usual way.
stay friendly with all civ and even if they ask for that special resource,give them what they want-our barbarians will blow the trade and you get them more friendly with u.
around turn 100 if u allied with a couple of militar city state(you should be allied with all of them by now) you should have enough militia to survive an attack. just in case some civ are interested in your cities, have them declare war at some other civ(they will for a price) or the other way round, diverting attention from you.i kept them constantly at war with each others:)
be careful to be the master balancer in this,you dont want any civ to become too powerful so help out with money the weakest one and keep the more powerful on constant negative gold per turn so they get no science (actually keep all of them on no science:))
so much for the money part,last time i played i ended up with 100k per turn,more then enough to buy out a civ,but later on this:D
research agreement: i made one every 5/6 turns with every civ, giving the money in the very probable case they hadn't.6 turns is the minimum in case you decide to shift your research in favor of a science and discover it with the agreement bonus.
forget about wonders if u don't have an ingeneer, you'll hardly beat IA on a normal run to build them even during a golden age.
GP. don't rush to get rid of them. keep scientists around, they 'll come useful for that special slingshot you desire,whatever it is.
sooner or later some civ will be almost extinct or gone for good.a pity isn't it?
time to take them back to life:) buy their ex capital and on the panel to decide what to do with the city revive the civ,they'll be grateful (astoundingly only for a number of turns!)and you have another research agreement.just in case, try to make them strong with some cities more,they are very low on science and can easily be conquered again.
in spite of your best effort some civ will complete apollo program....this is when it gets tough on cultural victory.getting all the other civ to attack the guy or the other way round will not work so....time to destroy their civ.i hate this part but cultural got too nerfed so i do what i must:)
buyout their cities and donate them to whoever you want.best thing is splitting his civ among the others so even if he decides to reconquest his cities it hardly will be at war with all the other civ at the same time.or you could just destroy them( it was not in my heart to do it).last time i played i fragmented egypt so much that he had only his capital left- he never left earth:D.
well i think that's it.things i didn't cover are not important, those who go for cultural know what tree to use, so do those who go for domination( but after this read...why go to war when one can buy them?:))
have fun,i did.

100k per turn? that's 100,000 gold per turn, right? I almost beleive you. By the way, I find it more fun to play Deity games without horrible exploits you describe. And, of course, you are free to play out your games by pillaging and re-pillaging and re-pillaging and re-pillaging and re-pillaing. I won few Deity games without over - abusing exploits, so, i don't think i will be doing it after reading your thread.

Besides, i would probably die of boredom after pillaging for the 10th time :lol:.

i would hardly call an exploit (a cheat) understanding game mechanics and using them at my advantage, mate:)
and for the boring part....yes you are completely right.
i was searching for a way to win cultural at max difficulty and i did.

The problem is the AI is always happy to buy, even when it has no need for the luxery

Yeah... welcome to September 2010.

Pretty much, nothing new here.

The problem is the AI is always happy to buy, even when it has no need for the luxery

Actually the problem is that the the AI was designed to never have to pay attention to happiness ever :p

Of course this is the extreme and borders on an exploit. However, the OP brings up an often overlooked aspect of the game which is economics. Buying and selling gold to the AI can speed you over some hurdles anytime during the game. Example, I will often borrow cash for gpt from the AI to put up my first shrine right when Pottery is first discovered, or pay for my first worker. All these gpt deal with the AI improves your diplo. Ask every AI you meet how much he will give you for your 1gpt and take that deal if you want them to like you.

Later on larger deals are possible, example all your GPT for a lump some to pay for advanced tech troops. 3 or 4 high power units at the right time can break open the game for you. No need to slow build them.

This is a really underutilized part of the game and really powerful.

Of course this is the extreme and borders on an exploit. However, the OP brings up an often overlooked aspect of the game which is economics. Buying and selling gold to the AI can speed you over some hurdles anytime during the game. Example, I will often borrow cash for gpt from the AI to put up my first shrine right when Pottery is first discovered, or pay for my first worker. All these gpt deal with the AI improves your diplo. Ask every AI you meet how much he will give you for your 1gpt and take that deal if you want them to like you.

Later on larger deals are possible, example all your GPT for a lump some to pay for advanced tech troops. 3 or 4 high power units at the right time can break open the game for you. No need to slow build them.

This is a really underutilized part of the game and really powerful.

Maybe my problem is that I never trade my gpt for lump sum in the early game, hmm...

I will accept AI deals that has them giving me 10gpt for something like cities though :p

e: I would call it... "Good Ole Lump Sum DOW"

Actually the problem is that the the AI was designed to never have to pay attention to happiness ever :p
i never read anything about this strategy googling up.sorry to have wasted your time mate.
but maybe there is a reason for that- it can wreck gaming experience once ppl know it.
i for once can't pretend i don't know the way to take myself out of trouble now that i know how to do it....and of course the game is not fun anymore.
forum admin please delete this thread

i never read anything about this strategy googling up.sorry to have wasted your time mate.
but maybe there is a reason for that- it can wreck gaming experience once ppl know it.
i for once can't pretend i don't know the way to take myself out of trouble now that i know how to do it....and of course the game is not fun anymore.
forum admin please delete my thread

Selling your luxuries and gpt asap for gold is hidden in the tradition strategy thread, plus it's critical in every OCC strategy thread I have read so far. It's hidden in other strategy threads. The reason it didn't google up is that it's so common they put like one sentence going something like "sell x resource/gpt for the gold to buy your first settler/worker/shrine/monument/etc."

Now the concept of letting the barbs roam free to destroy your luxury improvements so you can keep the gold you got, rebuild it and sell it to another AI in far less than 30 turns (and later destroying your own tiles to break your trades without diplo-penalties) I haven't seen before. How does selling multiple copies affect the trades you are trying to break?

One question, when you finished your game and got your deity achievement, how did you feel?

It wasn't an immense rush of disbelief mixed with awe, surprise, pride and excitement, was it?

dunno why i'm still following my thread-a lot of you guys call my strategy cheating like i found a way to start the game with 10k gold-that would be cheating.
i am abusing trade, not even the IA (this would prolly work in multi with some minor changes-a lot slower no gpt trade but humans on the other hand don't start overpowered and i would get my edge.how?" you at war,need horses? here we go-usual price"). first,my strategy has nothing to do with IA buying luxuries it don't need:actually the thing works better and faster with 6 horses or 6 iron. secondly i always thought civ to be a strategic game (THE strategic game par excellence)and economics is my way to beat the odds with an overpowered IA at deity(even with multiple oxford university i couldn't keep the pace with IA science). economics is part of the game not a cheat.btw i think that the game was basically designed to be won WITHOUT LUCK (and u know when u won out of luck,don't you?) as a strategist would.my strategy leaves the "let's hope that event will not happen" completely out of the game.Lao tze would appreciate:).
thirdly: so if i let the barbs do their dirty work is ok on you but it's cheating if i crush my resources on my own?i can keep a barb alive for a very long time and have it move in a tunnel back and forth to my resources.still cheating?c'm on....
lastly, as i understand this is nothing new(should have made my homeworks better:) )to a lot of you guys, so i wonder:how do you keep playing knowing what you can do?you choose not to? you kill barbs cos otherwise you are cheating?given the huge amount of luxuries in civ 5 either the devs grew softer in their old age or, to me, the game was designed to be won this way. surely not the only way but as far as i read here and in other forums,the smartest.

Selling your luxuries and gpt asap for gold is hidden in the tradition strategy thread, plus it's critical in every OCC strategy thread I have read so far. It's hidden in other strategy threads. The reason it didn't google up is that it's so common they put like one sentence going something like "sell x resource/gpt for the gold to buy your first settler/worker/shrine/monument/etc."

Now the concept of letting the barbs roam free to destroy your luxury improvements so you can keep the gold you got, rebuild it and sell it to another AI in far less than 30 turns (and later destroying your own tiles to break your trades without diplo-penalties) I haven't seen before. How does selling multiple copies affect the trades you are trying to break?
first in,first out

One question, when you finished your game and got your deity achievement, how did you feel?

It wasn't an immense rush of disbelief mixed with awe, surprise, pride and excitement, was it?

actually i was disappointed i din't score number one.
and a lot more disappointed when i understood this is not a flaw that can be easily fixed with a patch but part of the winning mechanics.

Nothing new here, you just showed how to use it efficiently. Still, some maps aren't good for this kind of play and barbs can be more annoying than anything else.

When you master all aspects of the game you don't need extreme pushovers like that. You better be prepared in mp games if you want to win a game because this ''exploit'' can't be achieved vs human players.

That said, most of us want to ''feel'' like we are actually playing against human players under an artificial intelligence, and so they act like it is(read HoF rules to assimilate a bit of these thoughts).

Top Bottom