1. Civ6 is coming out TODAY! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Main site is finally re-opened! We migrated it to a new CMS and gave it a new layout as well.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Downloads database has been migrated and re-opened! Check it out and post in Site Feedback if any issue. We have done URL re-write so that old links will continue to work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A new Civ6 theme forum style is now available and it's made the default forum style! Check it out and comment here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have successfully migrated the forum from vBulletin to Xenforo! Please take a look around and report any issue you see in Site Feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Delay in building settlers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by THEREALLYSTUPID, May 15, 2003.

Mar 6, 2003
    Whe I try to build a settler it sometimes takes some extra turns to complete it. Following the citty info screen it should build the next turn but it just doesnt.

This can go on for about 10 turns and happens often in the beginning of the game (I always start by building a settler), this really sets me back a lot!

There are enough people and food to support it b.t.w.

Is this a feature or a bug?

Plz help me out here.....
  2. Gainy

Gainy Guest

I would really need a Screenshot to help. The only reason i can think of is in Civ 3 a settler takes up 2 citizens, instead of 1 in the other civ's(i know you said you knew this, but just incase)
  3. Galcador

Galcador New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    If the city is growing (has excess food), it must be at least size 3 to build a settler. The settler takes away 2 population points and at least one must remain. If the city isn't big enough, settler production will be delayed until it is.

If you want to abandon a size 2 city by building a settler out of it, you must make sure it has no excess food at the time the settler is due. Then you'll be prompted to confirm abandoning the city.
  4. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

Jan 14, 2003
    It's almost certainly the food thing. Build a warrior or two to explore before your first settler, and make sure the city will always reach at least size 3 on the turn the settler finishes. (The AI *constantly* build settlers in cities which are too small for them -- it's one of your biggest early advantages *not* to do that, so don't!)

Have fun,