DemoGame IV Settings

Lord Civius

Emperor
While we are waiting for the forums perhaps we should begin discussing the game settngs.

Platform? Civ4 BTS
Patch? I have updated to 3.19

Here are a few of the Game Settings to discuss.
  • World Size
  • Map type
  • Sea Level
  • Climate
  • Standard Resources?
  • Game Speed
  • Barbarians
  • Unrestricted Leader?
  • Random Civilization?
  • # of Civilizations (ours included)

We can discuss the more advanced settings after we've ironed these out. I say we allow a few days for discussion and begin polling if the forums are up by then.

All good except Unrestricted Leader. If we're doing a random civ then the Random leader thing can really screw us. I only have good experiences with it when I hand pick the leader.

I would rather have Random Civ. That way we don't have to go through all the hassle of voting for one, followed by a runoff if necessary.

I like the idea of a random civ and the leader being chosen through our first election. Let citizens that wish to be our first leader choose a civ leader and create a platform for our first government.

i always play marathon! cant understand why people doesnt love that!

I only hope for marathon or at least Epic. big map
Problem with marathon and epic maps is that the game goes on so long that you'll have a lot of trouble keeping enough people to keep things going. Remember how much the previous demogames had trouble with participation, you want things easier, not harder! :)

i always play marathon! cant understand why people doesnt love that!

I only hope for marathon or at least Epic. big map

I agree with IamJohn. We would need to play 30 turns per session on marathon. Normal speed with 10 turns/session keeps a good pace. Even on normal Dgames can last 6 months to a year.

Citizens of the game are elected to positions in the government and they give their instructions (to the designated player) before each turn session. It would be very difficult to give instructions for thirty turns. It would get very confusing and information heavy.

Citizens of the game are elected to positions in the government and they give their instructions (to the designated player) before each turn session. It would be very difficult to give instructions for thirty turns. It would get very confusing and information heavy.

no marathon only allows for more military movement...it takes still 3x more times for a worker to build a farm or a road and still 3x more turns to build a granary. I really dont see where the game would take more time as the player who will play the game will only press the enter key maybe twice as much. it will take him maybe 25 minutes to play the session instead of 12 minutes...it wont be longer for us reading the session and what happened. really...

I stand corrected :blush: I haven't played marathon in forever and forgot the game was balanced, but just takes more turns. With that I guess it will be up to the citizenry to decide. Once we have our forums up we can begin polling the game settings.

Yes, but you also forget that officials have to post instructions for 30 turns instead of 15. Generally, build queues or worker actions aren't badly affected by this, however, troop movements, especially in times of war are

30 turns instead of 15 turns allows a lot more random variables to occur in a turnset, such as enemy troops moving where we did not expect them, discovering more fertile land when settling a city, or even a random event happening since it is BTS.

I'd vote for a large map, normal or epic speed and this rest the default settings (although as much as I don't like playing random personalities and random leader, they do sound quite tempting for the dg)

I'd go for Normal or Epic. However, if you scale the turnsets to the gamespeed, it probably doesn't matter very much. Except the slower gamespeed is, the more microdecisions are left to be made solely by the turnset player (and hence less of democracy game feel, if I understand how this works).

Top Bottom