Denmark? Why not Netherlands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ochopied by spain once , germany twice.
1) Never occupied by Spain as such, instead, Dutch nobles answered to the Hapsburg king for a relatively short while. The king really ticked the nobles off with the whole "all protestants must die" stuff, which led to the 80 years war, which bankrupted Spain and made us the richest country in Europe. Now THAT'S how you wage a war. ;)
2) Germany occupied us only once thank you very much. We were neutral in WW1.

Of course, apart from these factual statements, maybe the better comeback would have been: "yeah, because this country is actually worth occupying for something other than a route to Norwegian oil!" ;)

1) Never occupied by Spain as such, instead, Dutch nobles answered to the Hapsburg king for a relatively short while. The king really ticked the nobles off with the whole "all protestants must die" stuff, which led to the 80 years war, which bankrupted Spain and made us the richest country in Europe. Now THAT'S how you wage a war. ;)
2) Germany occupied us only once thank you very much. We were neutral in WW1.

Of course, apart from these factual statements, maybe the better comeback would have been: "yeah, because this country is actually worth occupying for something other than a route to Norwegian oil!" ;)

Thank you. Netherlands>Denmark 100%

Only thing that Denmark beats Netherlands in is millitary. Dutch beat Denmark on trade (once the most dominant trade empire in the world), exploration, engineering (number 1 aqua-engineering for centuries) and culture (legal weed policy ftw!).

I can understand they want to save the Dutch for an expansion though.

its more vikings then the country denmark...
The vikings got even the byzantium empire, The franks england under control by pillaging most of europe

Denmark had colonies in india, ghana, greenland, three big in caribbean and the entire norway. They WHERE an empire

I forgot Faroe islands, and a great part of england. Furthermore, the danes where the greatest skandinavia country durning the viking age and iceland and norway where danish. The swedish vikings, sailed never, but rode often to Russia. Shortly, denmark is the most exiting country in the north!

But as usual Denmark wants to steal history from Norway

Yea, coz 2K and Firaxis only employs Danes with a grudge towards Norwegians, right? :p What a crap comment!

Historically, The Danes held a major strategic/geographically waterway 'The Sound' - the way into the Baltic Sea (now border between Sweden and Denmark) thus giving it some influence.
After the last Viking age empire (Knut the Great Held all of Denmark and England (both Danelaw and Wessex) and Norway (with its holdings in the Faroes, Shetland Isles, Iceland and Greenland), the Danes were christianized and rather quickly turned into a European style Christian Kingdom, competing with the Hanseatic League for dominance over the Baltic Sea. Sometimes succeeding other times not.
With their closeness to the continent, new ideas and inventions came to Denmark first, and only later to the Swedes (not a unified nation until the early 12th century) and Norway. This gave the Danes the advantage over their 'sibling' nations. In 1397, the centralized power of Denmark was strong enough to establish the Kalmar Union between Denmark, Sweden and Norway with Danish Kings and nobility at the Head. The Kalmar Union between Denmark and Norway would last until the end of the Napoleonic wars (Norway ceeded to Sweden in 1814), while Sweden broke away from the Union several times before they stayed independent from 1523 and eventually surpassing Unified Danish/Norwegian Kingdom in the late 17th century - partly by snatcing away the Eastern Coast of the Sound by conquering and annexing Scania, Halland and Blekinge (all 3 landscapes still Swedish to this day), thus removing the geographically startegic advantage of Denmark. (A great mistake in the Denmark map behind Harold Bluetooth is that the 3 Scanean provinces are not part of Denmark while they as a matter of fact historically were - and by far the most important landscapes in the Danish Kingdom until lost).

Just to get some historical facts correct. :D

In 1197, the centralized power of Denmark was strong enough to establish the Kalmar Union between Denmark, Sweden and Norway with Danish Kings and nobility at the Head. The Kalmar Union between Denmark and Norway would last until the end of the Napoleonic wars (Norway ceeded to Sweden in 1814),

According to Wikipedia the Kalmarunion was established i 1397. I`m pointing this out because Norway had it`s heyday between 1150 and 1350. The black plague pulled the rug under Norways ability to sustain the holdings it had at that time (Iceland, Greenland to name two). It is important to have the black plague in mind when we look upon the events that led to the Kalmarunion being established.

According to Wikipedia the Kalmarunion was established i 1397. I`m pointing this out because Norway had it`s heyday between 1150 and 1350. The black plague pulled the rug under Norways ability to sustain the holdings it had at that time (Iceland, Greenland to name two). It is important to have the black plague in mind when we look upon the events that led to the Kalmarunion being established.

the other thing was their ownership of a lot of the British Isles, and their bid for the Throne of England.

True :) Minor mistake on my part.

Norwegian holdings in the Atlantic were, as pointed out the Shetlands, the Faroe Isles, Iceland and settlements in Greenland.

Moderator Action: The bump doesn't seem to offer anything particularly noteworthy, and seems to be in the realm of history anyway. So thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom