desktop shortcut with auto connect to server

dooke2tm

Chieftain
Hi all

I've been playing civ4 and bts since forever in singleplayer, and now me and some friends succesfully put up a PB to try something new.

My question in that regard is: Is it possible to add something like a "/connect 10.0.0.1" to the civ4bts shortcut and make the game autoconnect to the server so i dont have to go find the server in the game lobby or put in the ip address in manually in direct connection.

...Yes it's quite lazy, but playing PB you get to do the same routine very often (start civ -> multiplayer -> internet -> and so on)

The method I use is to create an extra copy of the civ4 .ini file and copy it into the Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\ directory. Then edit that to have the right direct IP (and Mod if required). Call it something like pitbossCiv4.ini

Then create a shortcut to the BtS executable that uses the -ini command line parameter, e.g.

"C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" -ini=pitbossCiv4.ini

Then just double click the desktop shortcut to start BtS with the correct direct IP already filled in (and the correct Mod already loaded if specified).

The -ini parameter is the only one I know about though.

Cheers,
Munro

This is very helpful Munro

You might also know the answer to this question.
Why don't mods use their own ini file?
I tried entering the IP and name into the ini file for the NoScore mod (used in Ages of Provolutia), using the correct format of course, but from what I understand that file wasn't loaded at all.
Why is it even there then?

The mod ini file does get loaded. For example, try changing some of the options (e.g. set NoCustomScenario = 1) and you'll see the change is picked up.

It's only looking for specific settings though - unfortunately it doesn't work just to paste in whatever settings you want from the main ini file because 'unexpected' values in the mod ini file are just ignored.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod= Mods\NoScore

The above is to auto run a mod on start up. you need to add to the shortcut as discribed by Munro

Edit: the above is vaild for Windows 7. Check your path and amend for your OS.

Top Bottom