Developed Forests and Ancient Forest Generation

brainpan

Wild Potato
My having developments built in forests seems to hinder their transformation into ancient forests. Am I seeing a pattern where none exists?

What sort of developments?

As of the latest patch, I still get Ancient Forests growing 'under' cottages and plantations. However, I'm pretty sure you won't get them if you build a lumber mill (it's been a long time since I've built them as the elves).

- Niilo

Forest will never grow under any improvement, if that improvement would be destroyed in the process.
So you will get forest under camps, farms, cottages, plantations and even elven city squares, but not under mills, workshops or mines.
In my personal experience Ancient Forests itself seems to grow more slowly than normal forest/jungle, but that could be totally immaginative.

As for the transformation thingy the OP described: no.
Improvements will not hinder the transfromation from forest to ancient forests in any way.

Forest will never grow under any improvement, if that improvement would be destroyed in the process.

I think to remember that you can't build lumbermills on Ancient Forests. So this would explain why they won't grow under them.

I think so. Make sure you are still following FoL religion, of course.
OK, thank you.

I wasn't too clear in the OP. What I meant to say is that the building of developments (of any kind) in forests appear to hinder (delay) their transformation into ancient forests.

I suspect the "development delay" is only my imagination, but I was hoping for a definitive answer whether it is part of the programing or not.

Finally, I appreciate everyone's answers so far. I had not considered the effect of lumbermills on the development of ancient forests, mostly because I don't build that improvement with elves.

PS- Shadowsong, your response was broad enough to address my specific--though ambiguously stated-- concern. I don't want to appear ungrateful or too dull to recognize that. Thank you.

OK, thank you.

I wasn't too clear in the OP. What I meant to say is that the building of developments (of any kind) in forests appear to hinder (delay) their transformation into ancient forests.

I suspect the "development delay" is only my imagination, but I was hoping for a definitive answer whether it is part of the programing or not.

Finally, I appreciate everyone's answers so far. I had not considered the effect of lumbermills on the development of ancient forests, mostly because I don't build that improvement with elves.

PS- Shadowsong, your response was broad enough to address my specific--though ambiguously stated-- concern. I don't want to appear ungrateful or too dull to recognize that. Thank you.

I'd say it's just your imagination that later on, it seems like forests are developing more slowly when you built a cottage or farm in the forest. You have more to manage so turns go by slower. Ancient forest development is based on a flat percentage per turn.

Top Bottom