Development: 1912, A Century of Napoleon

amadeus

Serenity now
BACKSTORY:

1912title.png

What if Napoleon had won?
1812: Napoleon's armies march on St. Petersburg and dictate terms to Czar Alexander I.
1814: The United States win a decisive war against Britain in North America, forcing a cession of Canada to the new republic.
1815: The humiliation of defeat in Europe and America collapses the Regency, with Britain abandoning the monarchy.
1817: The viceroyalties of Spanish America, minus New Spain, declare independence.
1822: Napoleonic ideas spread across Turkey, India, and East Asia, resulting in upheaval that is for the time being quashed.
1823: The Great European Calm begins, Continental Europe united under Napoleon I.
1844: Radical reforms begin in Qing China after their defeat by the British Republicans in the Opium War.
1847: Napoleon I, Emperor of France, King of Spain, & of Italy, & of Portugal, dies at age 78.
1848:
The Succession Crisis begins, branches of the House of Bonaparte claim legitimacy absent a direct descendant.
1851: Naples breaks away from the Continental System during the confusion of the Succession Crisis.

1853: The Succession Crisis ends, Napoleon II is crowned Emperor of the French.
1854: Chinese gunboats shell the Japanese home islands, leading to Japan's own radical reforms.
1859: Southern slave states declare loyalty to the King of New Spain, starting the New Spanish War.
1861: Union armies land at Yucatan, annexing it as America's 47th state.
1862: The New Spanish War ends after Union armies march on Mexico City, forcing New Spain to surrender.
1863: The Treaty of Veracruz is signed, New Spain ceding the California territory to the United States.
1867: Nationalistic army officers stage a coup in the Russian Empire, deposing the Czar and declaring a republic.
1868: Abraham Lincoln is elected to a third term as President of the United States of North America.
1869: The First Sino-Japanese War begins, Japan invades Formosa and the Philippines.
1871: The Treaty of Canton is signed: South-East Asia is divided between China and Japan.
1873: The British East India Company is forced to cede vast swaths of land to Indian princes in the Great Rebellion.
1874: The Franco-Russian War begins, Russian armies march into Poland and Hungary.
1875: The Coalition of Napoleon II is defeated at the Battle of Pressburg, forcing French withdrawal from Central Europe.
1876: Russian occupation armies establish permanent, pro-Russian governments in Central Europe.
1878: The Suez Canal opens. During a tour of the canal, Napoleon II dies at the age of 69.
1879: Napoleon III
is crowned with no succession crisis.
1880: The Near-Calm begins, punctuated by an uneasy peace dividing Germany.
1889: The United States of North America begins construction of the Panama and Nicaragua Canals.
1891: The Russian National State invades Sweden and installs a puppet regime.
1901: American-backed rebels in Cuba throw out the New Spanish, demand statehood in the USNA.
1904: The King of New Spain is deposed in a botched coup, the Mexican Civil War begins.
1905: Chinese officers under the direction of Yuan Shikai overthrow the Qing, establish a presidential republic.
1906: Napoleon III dies under mysterious circumstances at the age of 49, Napoleon IV is crowned.
1909:
Marshall Denikin of Russia declares himself Marshall-for-Life.
1912: ???

Sounds like an interesting premise. I suppose a 1912 where Napoleon won was a 1912 where Germany never unified? Will be interesting to see how this comes along.

Here's an update:

Terrain graphics/types were what I've mostly been working on this last week. Ideas are still coming, and I've found some valuable resources with regard to Lua scripting that show the things I want to do are in fact possible. I'll share one of them here:

First-Class Cities
Any city that has a wonder in it gets its terrain type boosted to the best one available. I'm not sure how the AI does with wonders that are obsolete, but I was thinking this was also a chance to use them for something rather than just omitting them from the game entirely.

Technically, I don't think that would be impossible to do with my reading of how it works: the hurdle I'm seeing at the moment is how you go from the trigger of "wonder built" to "change terrain at x,y" since the wonder could be built in any number of cities.

Here is the terrain graphic I'm working with right now:

Terrain1.png

I might shrink the dither area even more, or redesign some of the tiles since I did already shrink it down in order to fit in the farmland-type terrain. The terrain as it is has a slightly desaturated, "old map" kind of look to it without being so desaturated as to be distracting.

I might shrink the dither area even more, or redesign some of the tiles since I did already shrink it down in order to fit in the farmland-type terrain. The terrain as it is has a slightly desaturated, "old map" kind of look to it without being so desaturated as to be distracting.
A solution I'd see for you is not to alther the dither, but instead to use layers (and add them if necessary, in terrain2) to get out from dithering the undesired objects ;)

A solution I'd see for you is not to alther the dither, but instead to use layers (and add them if necessary, in terrain2) to get out from dithering the undesired objects ;)
Layers? I’d be very interested in reading more about this if you could point me in the right direction. :)

You may add a section under the @terrain section in rules.txt to personnalize terrain02.bmp.

It allows you to
add terrain layer for any terrain type,
change their number to display (thus kind of display) to 1, 3 or 16,
change layer's height (for bigger mountain per exemple).

As an exemple from my side (which I'm sure has it), I can propose you to take a look at the TES scenario construction on that side.

Technically, I don't think that would be impossible to do with my reading of how it works: the hurdle I'm seeing at the moment is how you go from the trigger of "wonder built" to "change terrain at x,y" since the wonder could be built in any number of cities.
You would do something like this.
Code:
discreteEvents.onCityProduction(function(city,prod)
    if civ.isWonder(prod) then
        city.location.baseTerrain = object.bBestBaseTerrain
        -- city.location.terrain = object.tBestTerrain
    end
end)
The onCityProduction execution point lets you specify the city, and from there you can use the location field to get the tile. I wasn't sure if you wanted to change the base terrain (the underlying 16 types of terrain) or the terrain (underlying terrain and the resource together), so I commented out code for changing terrain.

You may add a section under the @terrain section in rules.txt to personnalize terrain02.bmp.
I’m going to check this out, thank you!

The onCityProduction execution point lets you specify the city, and from there you can use the location field to get the tile. I wasn't sure if you wanted to change the base terrain (the underlying 16 types of terrain) or the terrain (underlying terrain and the resource together), so I commented out code for changing terrain.
That is nifty how versatile Lua can be.

Yes, it will be changing the terrain and adding the resource. I’m still way off from this part though. :)

Oh, this is neat. I just figured out how it works and I think you’ve set me back by a few days because I’m going to have to make even more stuff. :lol:

Top Bottom