[Development] Canonical City Location Suggestions

Pretoria, and not Johannesburg, should be the preferred canonical city in the Transvaal. Pretoria was the capital of the South African Republic (Boer), and Johannesburg was never a capital. Also, Pretoria is a much more Afrikaans city than Johannesburg, which is much more British/Anglo, and thus, Pretoria is a more representative city for the Boers.

The map I made is of possible byzantine cities in the medival start.
I wrote only those in the likely byzantine setup, thus not entering northern Italy, Carthage, among other places.

I left out Egypt because I think it's already figured out.

Added mystras to give emphasis to the Peloponnese, a region with a deep byzantine history, and last place to fall to the ottomans at the same time Constantinople fell (Despotate of the Morea, with it's capital of mystras).
Thus, a historical and symbolic battle will take place if the ottomans attempt to take it.

The eastern side is also designed to represent the crusader age, high medival times.
I added the most important cities, such as Antioch, Jerusalem and Edessa, sadly Aleppo didn't fit in, and also added Paphos in Cyprus, as it was a crusader hub and an important gateway to the levant.
Crete was also a major center of maritime power.

I replaced tyre with acre, as it was much more important to the byzantines and crusaders, and served as a hugely important maritime foothold in the eastern Mediterranean.
Many famous battles were fought there during the crusades, such as the battle of acre 1291.
Also it was the last byzantine/crusader bastion to stand in the levant.

Some cities were hard to choose where to place, and in such cases there's a double tile.

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_131302.jpg
    IMG_20240416_131302.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 229
My guess is that Anatolia will have a lot more cities than in the current version, as the Hittites are being added thus founding many cities from the start, and it's a bigger map.

I wrote only those in the likely byzantine setup, thus not entering northern Italy, Carthage, among other places.

Added mystras to give emphasis to the Peloponnese, a region with a deep byzantine history, and last place to fall to the ottomans at the same time Constantinople fell (Despotate of the Morea, with it's capital of mystras).
Thus, a historical and symbolic battle will take place if the ottomans attempt to take it.

The eastern side is also designed to represent the crusader age, high medival times.
I added the most important cities, such as Antioch, Jerusalem and Edessa, sadly Aleppo didn't fit in, and also added Paphos in Cyprus, as it was a crusader hub and an important gateway to the levant.

I replaced tyre with acre, as it was much more important to the byzantines and crusaders, and served as a hugely important maritime foothold in the eastern Mediterranean.
Many famous battles were fought there during the crusades, such as the battle of acre 1291.

Some cities were hard to choose where to place, and in such cases there's a double tile.
Konya is Iconium for the Byzantines.

Which is more canonical, Konya or Ankara? I guess Ankara can be in later starts.

...Shouldn't there be a city there, and then it gets flipped by the Ottoman spawn the same way (for instance) Constantinople gets flipped with the Byzantine spawn? Seems more intuitive than making sure the spot is left blank when it was historically occupied by a fairly important regional center.

But cities in/near a spawn are razed, aren't they?
Like how Italy razes mediolanum.
Unless it's a capital
...Shouldn't there be a city there, and then it gets flipped by the Ottoman spawn the same way (for instance) Constantinople gets flipped with the Byzantine spawn? Seems more intuitive than making sure the spot is left blank when it was historically occupied by a fairly important regional center.

Which is more canonical, Konya or Ankara? I guess Ankara can be in later starts.
I think, Ankira, hands down. It was serving as the capital of the ancient Celtic state of Galatia (280–64 BC), and later of the Roman province with the same name (25 BC–7th century). The city is very old, with various Hattian, Hittite, Lydian, Phrygian, Galatian, Greek, Persian, Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman archeological sites.

I'd go with Athens, Thessalonica (I've been to both), Smyrna (the more western one), Constantinople, Heraklion (I've been there) on the eastern tile of Crete, a city in Cyprus (not sure which one), Trebizond, and then Sinope and either Iconium (better city spacing) or Ankara (more historically relevant). I would not have Mystras, even though I've been there and loved it, it just crowds Athens and Crete. It also wasn't built until the 13th century, so it doesn't belong preplaced in the 600 AD scenario anyway.

I'm a huge Hellenophile/Byzantophile (I actually like the Byzantines more than the ancient/classical Greeks or Romans), and I'm very excited to play the Byzantines on the bigger map. They've always been my favorite civ in SoI.

Naples goes 1E for sure.

For 600AD and 1700AD I'd make it a case against Ankara. Konya was far more relevant during the Middle Ages, as was Amaseia during most of Ottoman rule. Ankara's heretofore insignificance was arguably a crucial factor in the choice to make the site the capital of a newly born Turkish Republic who's leadership was key to distance the new state from certain elements of its inheritance. It can be thought of as in the same spirit as many of the post-colonial Federal capitals of the Western Hemisphere.

Top Bottom